Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-04-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan career retrospective

Loss

• 1 month later...

Hogan does a sit-down interview with Vince that is immaculately produced, showing clips of the Andre and Warrior Mania matches and Hogan finally addresses whether or not this is his last match by saying he won't know until he comes out of the ring. Nice segment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Heenan doing commentary on Hogan/Andre match was weird. Felt like the Warrior match must have been a hint of what is to come since Hogan lost the match. I figure they would have at least shown a brief clip of him winning title against Iron Sheik. Vince seemed actually moved at the end of the interview.

Heenan doing commentary on Hogan/Andre match was weird. Felt like the Warrior match must have been a hint of what is to come since Hogan lost the match. I figure they would have at least shown a brief clip of him winning title against Iron Sheik. Vince seemed actually moved at the end of the interview.

The USA special opened with a clip from the end of the Sheik match.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Weird dynamic on the Hogan/Andre match, as Heenan calls it like it's a retrospective and Monsoon acting like it's live.

We follow with Hogan vs. Warrior from WM6--that should have been a major sign of what was to come, because there was no way they'd ever show the Warrior otherwise, much less pinning Hogan.

More self-aggrandizement from Hogan, about less than 100% commitment to Hulkamania = failure. He still manages to tie it into the match with Sid, though, in a very effective manner--"Any time you try to take a shortcut through the WWF, you end up running into Hulk Hogan." Hogan leaves open the question as to whether WM8 will be his last match--he won't know until he comes through the curtain.

Very well-done segment, that would be a fitting cap on Hogan's WWF career as it was.

• 2 years later...

I really liked this, mostly because Hogan was as close to low-key and humble as he ever got in a wrestling setting. Vince in a tux added to the gravity of the piece, and if he'd conducted himself with this kind of dignity more often we just may have been spared the Mr. McMahon character, which according to at least a few people had as much to do with putting the ridiculously corny babyface announcer character out of its misery as it did taking advantage of the Montreal situation.

Hogan mentions Brooke and Linda, but not by name. The better to prevent stalkers, I guess.

The clips from Mania III and Mania VI were a bit strange. They were a mix of Heenan recollections (particularly Mania III, of course), hype for Mania VIII, and Gino trying at points to make the viewers believe that this was his original match call. The Mania VI clip was ruined by a pointless discussion about Flair, Liz, and (of all people) Rona Barrett. The best line of either segment had to be Heenan's supposed words to Andre just before Hogan slammed him at Mania III: "Get up, you're costing me money!" Personally, I would have rather seen either Mania V or Mania VII in place of Mania VI, but I guess they didn't want to show their next champ (Savage) as a loser so close to Mania, and they probably wanted everyone to forget the whole Iraqi turncoat angle, for which I can't blame them a bit.

I liked how Hogan said that he wasn't sure if this was his last match or not. That way, he could take some time off to let the steroid mess die down, Sid could have the rub of (temporarily) retiring him, and he could return at some point not too far down the road as the Andre-type attraction that Vince envisioned him as.. Of course, none of the above worked out as planned.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-04-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan career retrospective
  • 1 year later...