Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-04-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett and The Moondogs

Loss

• 1 month later...

Richard Lee interrupts a match to demand that Eddie Marlin come out right now. It takes a few minutes, but Lawler and Jarrett finally come out after Marlin mentions wanting them suspended from wrestling for the things they have done to him. Lawler and Jarrett won't have it and beat him up and strip him down to his underwear. New Moondogs finally come to his rescue as Dave Brown wonders how may dogs Lee has in the kennel.

That doomsday Device both by the Star Raiders has to be one of the worst ever. This was the debut of Moondog Splat after spike quit.

I honestly never expected to see a team worse than 'The Fat Boyz' (Meat & Potatoes) in the USWA this year, but the Star Riders proved even worse than them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For what its worth, The Star Riders match didnt make the syndicated version.

Richard Lee interrupts a studio match as he wants Lawler & Jarrett suspended for excessive violence. Lawler & Jarrett are out shortly to attack and strip Lee before the Moondogs are out with chairs and boards. Typical fun brawl in this feud.

• 2 months later...

The Star Riders looked horrid, thank God they're shunted to the background while Richard Lee rants on the mic. Spike has been hospitalized and is out "with his brain swelled up" and Lee demands that Lawler and Jarrett be suspended. Lee is dragged into the ring and stripped to his boxers before Spot and a new Moondog make the save.

Postscript: that Monday in MSC was main evented by a tag team battle royal. The Star Riders stiffed one of the Moondogs and quickly got themselves eliminated, then with everyone else still in the ring they ransacked the boys' wallets and fled the arena.

• 2 years later...

Nice story about the Star Riders, Pete. I wonder if they ever worked again anywhere.

I'm honestly trying to see the excitement most of you are in segments like these, but I'm not. As I've said before, maybe if the Dogs had just started out with normal heel work (eye gouges, punches, and the like) and then progressed to weapons, I'd feel more involved. As it is, it's like watching ECW every week; I enjoy parts of it in the moment, and it's a fine spectacle, but outside of one or two guys what happens doesn't stick with me, and I'm thinking about other things I could be watching instead.

As for individual performers, Lawler's pretty much carrying the angle all by himself now; Lee has regressed to the worst kind of stereotypical Southern wrasslin' manager, and he's being completely outclassed by the King on the mic, which spells disaster if you have to work with him. In this case, Lawler's out there telling Lee that he's right; he and Jeff have no qualms about injuring Spike, and are looking to do the same to him and Spotty. Does Lee threaten other Moondogs (especially considering that he actually has one waiting)? Call Lawler a monster who murdered Andy Kaufman? Trash Jeff as his father's son and the fair-haired boy of this lousy stinkin' hellhole of a promotion? He does no such things; his one and only response is "I want Eddie Marlin out here right now!" It doesn't come off as heel whining, but rather as being in over his head verbally and having no idea what else to say. I'll give him this, though: it takes a ton of guts to agree to be burned by Lawler twice.

The brawl was fine, and Lee being stripped ends up being important because of the reign of terror it sets off. I would have preferred not to have them start making up Moondogs out of thin air, but they really didn't have a choice since Spike quit.

Nice to see Dr. Tom. In an alternate universe, we get an early SMW crossover match between the Bodies and the Dogs, with Corny and his racquet offsetting Lee.

I get the idea that going to break and thus cutting off the video is supposed to stop the heels from committing mayhem, but it still looks dumb when the last image we see is of one of the Dogs choking the life out of Jeff.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-04-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett and The Moondogs
  • 1 year later...