Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-17-CMLL] Octagoncito & Misteriocito & Mascarita Sagrada vs Espectrito & Piratita Morgan & Pequene Pierroth

Loss

• 1 month later...

Espectrito is the standout in this match. Everyone is good really, and the spots are as graceful as any you'll ever see, but Espectrito is such an asshole and looks so evil that I can't help but think he's awesome. Mascarita Sagrada is one of the best punching bags in wrestling history. I've mentioned it with quite a bit of lucha on this set, and I hate to keep repeating myself, but you can really see the influence later on Michinoku Pro. In the UWA match on 2/29, I'd say more in the moves than anything else, but here, I'd say more in the mannerisms and heel taunts than anything else. And even acknowledging that, the moves that are displayed here are phenomenal.

I also love that there are still very clear roles and dynamics in place. They are all small, but they still work size versus speed themes, as the technicos are way undersized compared to the rudos. The rudos attempt to isolate Misteriocito and take his mask to no avail.

Late in the match, they've neutralized Sagrada -- to a point where he's afraid to do saves at times -- and they've neutralized Misteriocito. Now it's Octagoncito's turn. But he end sup being a savior for his team, holding them all at bay for quite a while, doing lots of ducking, quick moves and catching the other guys off guard. This buys his teammates time to get back in the swing of things and creates momentum. Espectrito in particular takes a ridiculous shoulder-first bump to the ring post and goes flying out of the ring. Misteriocito is now back in the game as well, as he secures the winning fall for his team.

Another MOTYC from Mexico!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought this was fantastic. Loss uses the word "graceful" which is a perfect way to sum up some of action. Thought everyone looked great as the moves and transitions look so fluid. Favorite part of match is Sagrada doing a flippy entrance into the ring off a tag and getting absolutely smoked by a running kick from Espectrito. He takes a great beatdown for an extended period after this.

• 4 weeks later...

Posted Image Posted Image

Separated at birth?

Aside from his similarity to a Star Trek monster I thought Espectrito was a really good rudo. So was the Pirate. Misteriocito looked like a good athlete and Sagrada is adorable. That little guy always makes me mark out. It was a fun match that had it's high points, but got messy and bogged down at stages. There's much better to come from the midgets in future years.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think the Casas trio was still better as lucha MOTY, but this was really great with great spots combined with a strong overarching story. Misteriocito is actually the guy I wanted to see more of by the end--the dude looked tall enough that he could have passed for a Misterio/Virus-style standard-size worker.

• 2 years later...

I've only seen a couple of Mexican mini matches, but they're a lot like joshi to me: such a departure from the American presentation of their group that it almost doesn't matter what they do; I'm going to love it. Just seeing six smaller guys actually working a real match as opposed to simply running through a bunch of comedy spots was a revelation, and the fact that they're such spectacular athletes was icing on the cake.

I honestly can't pick out a favorite worker out of the six; all of them brought their best. The best spots were when they were able to project themselves all the way over the top rope to hit dives, which happened pretty often in the third fall. The bumps they took to the post looked hellacious; about all we needed were a couple of weapons shots and the whole experience would have been complete. We even got a few great heel miscommunication spots at the end, as Pequene Pierroth seemed to hit everyone except his opponents in the last five minutes. I wish I could have understood Espectrito's promo, because it sounded wonderful. Afterwards, of course, he joined Piratita in beating Pequene Pierroth to within an inch of his life. It's too bad the segment ended in the middle.

It's amazing how I'm not able to get into trios matches with the regular-size guys for the most part, yet I really enjoyed this. Hope there's more to come!

• 1 month later...

I felt like watching some Mexican mini matches so I started with the matches Loss recommended in the Espectrito thread and damn this match was a ton of fun. Espectrito just murders Mascarita Sagrada with a running boot in the 2nd fall that looks as violent as any big boot I've ever seen in wrestling. The whole match felt like non-stop action and the ending got pretty crazy especially Sagrada's dive.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-17-CMLL] Octagoncito & Misteriocito & Mascarita Sagrada vs Espectrito & Piratita Morgan & Pequene Pierroth
  • 4 months later...