Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Arn Anderson

Loss

• 1 month later...

Rikki Rachtmann years before his Nitro gig. This was around the time they were trying to push Arn as an interim challenger for Sting on top between the Rude and Vader feuds, which is a bit of forgotten history. It's Arn Anderson, it's always a strong promo.

• 1 month later...

I think I might be the only person who didn't really like Arn as a promo. I guess it might be his look as much as anything, but when you see his horse shoe hair cut, beard, the spectacles, his southern drawl delivery, and listen to the cliches and dated analogies, he just seems kinda lame. It's like someone's grandpa giving you a stern warning.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Arn talks about being part of 2 great groups, but now its time to do something for himself. One of the few guys who could put together a great promo out of any material at all (not that the material here sucked). Too bad this was really just a couple week thing on tv or for house shows, but I guess that's the story of his career as a singles.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Tremendous straightforward promo from Arn here, which is a relief after all the weird stuff from Steamboat and Rude, among others. I know I would have paid to see Sting/Arn after watching that. I especially like the fact that Arn doesn't yell, scream, or threaten, which makes the whole segment more effective in my view.

Two things strike me as particularly interesting. First, Arn's out there without Heyman or any other backup, almost as if this was all against the DA's wishes. I know we don't see a whole lot of Paul after WrestleWar, and I'm wondering just what the DA's status is as a group at this point.

Second, unlike the WWF, WCW continues to acknowledge that its heels have their fans. There aren't many clapping for Arn here, but those who are stand out, including the guest host. WCW seems like a more liberal (in the non-political sense) place to work than almost any other promotion in America from what we can see on camera; it's just a shame that Vince had such a head start on them, at least until he squandered it later in the decade.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Arn Anderson
  • 1 year later...