[1992-09-05-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Maybe he got bit by a tsetse fly!" Forgot to mention in the tag match itself but Lane suffered a horrific-looking cut to his lip or tongue in the early going--this has been more bleeding in the past month than Lane did in pretty much his entire professional career before this. This seems to be the effective end to the Bodies/Fantastics feud as the Bodies throw out a challenge to the Rock 'n Roll Express. Cornette doing a Scrooge McDuck with the money was a terrific visual.

• 2 years later...

Dutch opens by thanking Cornette for coming on to his programme and from keeping the Fantastics off it and killing his ratings! Cornette is a little choked up he is so happy, but what the people don't realise is that the referees were knocked out and as a result there was no official to keep an eye on things and make sure none of the participants in the match suffer a serious injury. He saw an old wound on Bobby's head begin to open up, so pulled out his first aid kit, sprayed disinfectant on a cloth and then went in to wipe the wound and make sure that he wasn't hurt that bad that he couldn't continue. After cleaning the wound he was fine, but then he passed out almost straightaway. Maybe he has a drinking problem? Maybe he was bitten by a tse tse fly? But either way the Heavenly Bodies are the new tag team champions. Stanfield says how he smelled liquor on Fulton, so no more Fantastics and from now on it's the Rock & Roll Express. They've beaten them so many times in the past that it will be like taking candy from a baby! Cornette then pours the $20,000 over him and is almost bathing in it in the ring.

Great segment to end the Fantastics feud and set the wheels in motion for the Rock & Roll Express. Cornette in the money at the end was all kinds of awesome.

• 6 months later...

I haven't seen the match yet, but I'm guessing this was the old ether finish. Not a bad idea, but I don't like the cutesy jokes about tsetse flies and such. I'm more of a "Yeah, we cheated, but you can't do a damn thing about it now!" man. Still, hearing Stan talk about what a drunk Bobby is was funny, and of course I loved Corny rolling around in the money. No manager ever has enjoyed his work more, in both a kayfabe sense and in real life. I wish there were a thousand in the business today just like him.

I guess it's on to Rock 'n' Roll for the Bodies. I loved Stan talking about how beating them was going to be "a piece of candy". Not the way most people would phrase it, but the point is still made.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-05-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies
  • 2 years later...