Pro Wrestling Only

NWA-TNA 2002 REVISITED

TravJ1979

PPV 9

The first hour or so just was crap. More stupidity with Jarrett and the NWA authority, and it seems Steamboat is out, replaced by Bullet Bob Armstrong, which I can live with since Bullet was so good in the role in SMW. But the, some indy clusterfuck with SAT vs Kid Kash (who looked the best of all, unsurprisingly), Shark Boy and some 17 year old kid doing a terrible Eminem gimmick and flippy floppy stuff. Dupps, Bruce as Miss TNA, the last Jive Talking, all of this is ff material.

Then, you get two brawls in a row, always a sign of bad booking, the first of which involving Malice vs Don Harris. Like the previous week, it was watchable, which is more than I can say for most Harris match, but the main thing here is good old Donny wearing a nazi T-shirt, with the SS symbol. That company is run by dumbfucks. Was Jerry Jarrett already gone by this point ? When did Dixie Carter got involved ? A mean, they let this guy wear a NAZI T-shirt on TV. Not that we didn't remember the nazi tattoos him and his brothers proudly wore in the mid 90's, before they drowned it under other tattoos. The second garbage brawl was Elix Skipper vs Monty Brown, and it wasn't bad either.

For the X-division title, Low-Ki vs Sonny Siaki vs Jimmy Yang vs Jose Estrada in a four corners elimination match. Ok, this is more like it, as I enjoy the Elvis' antics (depsite the low rate gimmick and Rock's impersonation by Siaki on promos), and the format of the match keep things way more logical and simple. Low-Ki fights against all olds before we get Yang vs Estrada for a while. Siaki plays his egoistical self, to the point of betraying his own partners. Good stuff here.

Main event of Jarrett & Truth vs Lynn & Styles was pretty good too. Interesting to see Lynn & Styles working against non X division guys. Lynn kinda shows his limitations as he doesn't have much in term of low grade offense to make his comebacks, and his punches don't look too good. AJ Styles shines against Jarrett, but he also badly blows one tag team spot. Truth basically does his stuff and gets out of the way. Bad finish *again* with the old "two referees count a different guy for the pinfall" with the added shitty bonus of the belt being held up. Damn, they are doing every bad old-school finishes to add with the modern Russoesque shitty booking.

I should add that the announcing is really exhausting. Just cut Don West's mic, please.

2002.08.14 Low-Ki vs Sonny Siaki vs Jimmy Yang vs Jose Estrada

2002.08.14 Jeff Jarrett & Ron Killings vs Jerry Lynn & AJ Styles

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PPV 10 had probably the best match TNA has delivered thus far. AJ Styles v Jerry Lynn in a 2/3 falls, each fall being a gimmick match of his own. The first one being a falls count anywhere match, the second a no-DQ match and the last one a 10 minutes iron man match. Not a fan of this übergimmicky stipulation, but it worked. The first fall was at the beginning of the show, and the last two at the end. Odd choice, but it gave them a fresh start for the no-DQ match. Made the most out of the stips, worked well in a brawling style around the building, then did a good use of the no DQ sipt without going ridiculous with gimmicks (although AJ's comeback after that insane bump from the top rope through a table outside kinda came from nowhere, but they usually sold the damages well). Since they were already selling, it was believable that they could get some pinfalls in the remaining 10 minutes (although again, the Eddielenko routine at the very end, worked like it was the beginning of the match, including kicking out of your own pinfall, wasn't the best idea). All in all, it's obvious Lynn and AJ are TNA's VIP's at this point.

In a poor booking idea, Sonny Siaki faced Jimmy Yang in a 2/3 falls match also. Yeah, nothing better than to make a gimmick match unique than to have two of them in the same show, although this one was a straight 2/3. Good stuff too, with Yang playing the babyface. Kinda sloppy action at times, but they sold more than I expected and didn't work a crazy clusterfuck, like Low-Ki vs Joel Maximo vs Jose Maximo vs Amazing Red did. This one was a bit ridiculous at times, but still enjoyable, although the indierrific nonsense quickly gets old with me.

The show needs some changed of pace, and by that I don't mean bad matches with AMW (not yet named like this) vs Ron Harris & Brian Lee. Lee looks in the best shape of his life, but it's still a DOA match in 2002. The title match between Monty Brown & The Truth just couldn't be too good, and Brian Lawler vs Slash didn't look like an USWA match at all, sadly, way too spotty again.

Final angle with Jeff Jarrett facing a fake Bullet Bob looked like something out of a tired SMW. Well, I wish it was Jeff Jarrett in SMW, honestly.

2002.08.21 AJ Styles vs Jerry Lynn

2002.08.21 Sonny Siaki vs Jimmy Yang

The first hour or so just was crap. More stupidity with Jarrett and the NWA authority, and it seems Steamboat is out, replaced by Bullet Bob Armstrong, which I can live with since Bullet was so good in the role in SMW. But the, some indy clusterfuck with SAT vs Kid Kash (who looked the best of all, unsurprisingly), Shark Boy and some 17 year old kid doing a terrible Eminem gimmick and flippy floppy stuff.

The genesis of Slim J, everyone.

There definitely were. Brian Lee showed up and teamed with Ron Harris (leading to a pretty bad Harris brothers feud) and then randomly was paired up with Slash as the definitive New Church lineup.

I'm eagerly awaiting the SEX formation review. I remember being one of the few people to actually like most of it (up until March or so), but by the time it started grinding into awfulness Kid Kash had turned into a fabulous dickhead heel so it was easier to swallow the crap.

One of the many issues I have with TNA, is that it's indeed Total Nonstop Action, there's zero sense of pacing and changing gears during a card. I realize the X division was the big idea to differentiate themselves, but when by the time the main event comes you already went through 45 minutes of non stop gazillions spots and dives, it just negates everything. Thankfully, since a lot of the guys working the undercard are bad indieriffic spot monkey, you can actually see a difference with the actual good workers, but still, you get burned out of watching total nonspot action, especially since every match seems to be a spotfu. This was very apparent here, with stuff involving Kid Kash vs Amazing Red, SAT vs Flying Elvises and the four corners clusterfuck of tag teams. None were any good, execpt the very last segment of the four corner tag between Slash & Kobain (what an awful gimmick, so low rent) and Harris & Storm. And again, when the change of pace consist of a bad match between Monty (who despite his star potential look, just isn't any good in the ring yet) and Sonny Siaki, or bad segment with Brian Lawler doing some terrible promo and angle involving his girlfriend, it's not good. Jarrett vs The Bullet was not much better to me, and it kinda looks out of place although the execution is obviously much more solid (so I guess The Bullet is supposed to be Road Dog, but the tattoos indicate it's not; I get it's actually Steve for now, but he's not been unmasked, so…).

So what's left ? Thanksfully, a really good surprise, as the addition of three ladders in Low-Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles, instead of making the whole match all gimmicky and silly, actually made everything better, as they tried to work a smart match that made sense, with lot of selling of the big spots and smart counters and sequences (as opposed to the too cute spots they were doing in the regular three way a few weeks before). Low-Ki looks the best of the three again, with his selling and small nuances (he actually countered Lynn's annoying trademark spot, which makes him Lynn's smartest opponent ever). It's interesting that despite the gimmick, they worked a much slower pace and more "conservative" match than the indie spotfus of the undercard. And every big spot looked much more important in the process. I'd go so far to say this may be the best match of TNA thus far.

I can understand throwing the towel there though, because all the indy spotfests are really getting old. There's nothing "solid" on the undercard. It's either a fun spotfest in the best of case, either some bad shit. And the booking has been quite uninteresting to say the least. Apart from two weeks of Truth promos, there really hasn't been one good angle or promo since the beginning. And a lot of crap I have fast forwarded. I guess cherry picking a lot is the best way to go.

2002.08.28 Low-Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles

Early TNA was tough to watch because I didn't want to skip around (outside of the obvious shit like Miss TNA segments) and you never really knew when someone was going to have a good match or shit the bed. I mean even the guys who could bust out something good like Lynn/Low Ki/AJ were just as likely to give you a trainwreck spotfest as a really good match. Even guys who you expected to suck would sometimes be a highlight of the show like the Malice/Don Harris stuff. It made it tough to predict and easy to be disappointed.

Here are the matches that made my cut from the first year of NWA-TNA. (CHRON ORDER)

1. Low-Ki v. AJ Styles v. Psicosis v. Jerry Lynn - Double Elimination, X Division Title; 6/19/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 2 (aired 6/26)
2. Low-Ki v. AJ Styles v. Jerry Lynn - X Division Title; 8/7/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 8
3. Low-Ki v. Ron Killings - NWA Title; 10/2/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 14
4. AJ Styles v. Syxx-Pac - No DQ, X Division Title; 10/23/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 17
5. AJ Styles v. Amazing Red - X Division Title; 10/30/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 18
6. AJ Styles v. Jerry Lynn - X Division Title; 11/6/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 19
7. Low-Ki/Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper v. Amazing Red/Jose Maximo/Joel Maximo; 12/18/02; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 25
8. Chris Harris/James Storm v. Sinn/Brian Lee - NWA Tag Titles; 1/8/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 26
9. Jerry Lynn v. Juventud Guerrera; 2/26/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 33
10. Chris Harris/James Storm v. Low-Ki/Christopher Daniels - NWA Tag Titles; 3/12/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 35
11. Jerry Lynn/Amazing Red v. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper - NWA Tag Titles; 4/16/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 40
12. AJ Styles v. Raven v. Jeff Jarrett - NWA Title; 6/11/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 48
13. Chris Harris/James Storm v. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper - NWA Tag Titles; 6/18/03; TNA Weekly Pay-Per-View # 49

The week before that Lynn/Red vs. XXX was a pretty damn good four way tag that featured the debut of Chris Sabin. I actually prefer that one, regardless of the constant interference, because it had fun sequences from people I wasn't too familiar with at the time and had one insanely logical move that is rarely used: XXX were in the match to try to feel out any potential contenders and/or make it so they didn't have to defend the titles the next week.

PPV 12 had some interesting stuff, mostly the debut of BJ James and Syxx-Pac. In the see of somewhat interchangeable indy spot artists, these two, with the addition of Scott Hall who was back in town, really come off as big stars, and it's not just because they are coming from the WWE. The way the carry themselves and the promos they cut just put them on another level in term of aura. James promo in particular was really good, tying off his feud with Jarrett with their relationship back in the WWF in 95 (Waltman and Hall also talked about the WWF, which was less necessary but didn't came off as pointing out to the other product, since it was a reference to them in 93, more historical than anything else, really, and was kinda cool). The way he gave himself his new in-ring name (his actual name) also worked really well. Good promo, and I actually look forward the James vs Jarrett feud.

AJ Styles vs Kid Kash was the worst AJ match thus far. Kash does impressive stuff, but he's really only interested in doing those impressive spots. So it catters to the indieriffic instinct of AJ, thus drags him down. Surpringly, we get the debut of CM Punk tagging with Ace Steel in quite a cluster of a mtach involving the Hot Shots and Jimmy Rave & Wylde. Punk looks like a skinny Steve Corino and isn't anyone to the audience yet. He also works very indieriffic, like Rave and his tag partner. The Hot Shots are decent, especially O'Reilly. Not much of a match. Then we get the Tag Team Gauntlet, which was a pretty decent battle royal, but again, the difference between the veterans and the indie guys was striking. The match ended with Brian Lee & Ron Harris vs Chris Harris & James Storm, which never developped into anything really, as Storm was destroyed outside while Harris pinned Lee (kinda botched). I enjoy the fact that once again, they choosed to put the tag belts on guys carrying the identity of the promotion instead of already established veterans (especially Lee & Harris, who I couldn't care less about, although Harris didn't look too bad).

Main event of Jerry Lynn vs The Truth was watchable too, with Lynn bleeding a gusher and putting on a decent babyface performance, but Killings just isn't a single worker yet. The whole match turned into a backdrop for an angle as all the X division guys came down the ring to cheer for Lynn, until AJ Styles & Sonny Siaki betrayed him and cost him the match, which makes sense considering their characters.

A bunch of crap with some boxing match and Miss TNA bullshit that I refuse to watch. Not the best episode in term of actual wrestling, but I did enjoy the DX/nWo reunion at the end, with Syxx & Hall saving BJ James from another Jarrett beatdown. That blonde cage dancer with the lollipop is way better than Kelly Kelly (yeah, blame me for watching 2006 WWECW at the same time, makes me do some odd comparisons).

Main event of Jerry Lynn vs The Truth was watchable too, with Lynn bleeding a gusher and putting on a decent babyface performance, but Killings just isn't a single worker yet. The whole match turned into a backdrop for an angle as all the X division guys came down the ring to cheer for Lynn, until AJ Styles & Sonny Siaki betrayed him and cost him the match, which makes sense considering their characters.

Truth is a guy I often wonder about. I am not sure if he would have developed more into a true main event talent in the ring if he had been given a longer run at the top in TNA, although I would like to think so. But I really don't know because he had a PPV main event with John Cena in 2011 that I feel is probably Cena's worst PPV main event.

In my TEW game I chose the optimistic route however and slow built him & Monty Brown for the first 9 months or so while letting Jarrett take the title off Shamrock and have a chickenshit run and then was off to the races with Truth & Monty as my two top guys once I had Jarrett drop the belt in March 2003 to Monty.

PPV 13

The best match was AJ Styles vs Low-Ki, 2/3 falls. Styles quickly took up the heel role pretty well despite having an offensive moveset that screams "babyface". Low-Ki I felt was the better of the two again, mostly thanks to his selling. I was surprised again by how composed they were, not going insane with spots and reversals and such. They made the most sense out of what they were doing, and kept a good pace without rushing through stuff. Lack of heat was a bit surprising, and it hurt the match a bit, likewise a somewhat anticlimatic finish. That being said, I thought this was really well worked overall.

On the other hand, other X division matches like Jorge Estrada vs Kid Kash and Sonny Siaki vs Amazing Red were really on the indieriffic side of the specter, which means I didn't think they were any good, Kash and Estrada looking by far the spottier and sloppier. On the "not worth my time" pile, the tag match between Lee & Harris vs Harris (no, not this one) & Storm in a tables match was pretty bad. Plus they teased a Harris vs Harris (yes, the other one) feud. Might as well renamed them A & B, and have them cut themselves open with pieces of glass, otherwise, I won't watch that (like I still don't watch any Miss TNA crap, yes, it's still going on).

Rematch between Jerry Lynn & Ron Killings was better than the previous week, this time a lumberjack match (although it really didn't play much role except setting up a Killings vs Ki match), still nothing that got my full attention. Best Ron Killings single match thus far I guess.

On the other hand, the promos Killings & BG James exchanged were really solid stuff. I especially liked the way Killings made the audience shut up after they began to do that awfully annying "What ?" chant, first by stopping his promo and acknowledging them, then by not giving them the time to do their stupid chant. By the end, the chant died and they actually booed Killings because of the heelish things he said. Really good job. The match between James & Jeff Jarrett was disapointing though, going straight from chairshots to sleeperholds, and then to two run-ins. The Scott Hall matches were better. Did Armstrong became that lazy after years of NOA ?

Brian Lawler & Elix Skipper vs Scott Hall & Syxx-Pac would have been decent if not for Lawler's annoying jealous boyfriend's act. Wait, he's not a jealous boyfriend, he's downright psychopathic. They hint that April was actually physically abused by Lawler. Mmkay, that's really shady territory here.

2002.09.25 Low-Ki vs AJ Styles.

• 3 weeks later...

PPV 14 had a few good matches and a lot of bad booking, including run-ins seemingly in or after every match.

Low-Ki vs Ron Killings was Killings best match thus far, and Ki deserves a lot of credit for selling so well. They worked it like Killings would take the advantage by brawling, including some interesting spots outside, and it made for a good little dynamic. Post match smelled rotten though, with the shitty run-in of a shitty looking flabby mask guy, which I guess is Mr. Retarded himself. I dread the moment he'll actually get on TV…

In the same good match/stupid booking vein, Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles in a ladder match was really good, expect for a few quicky comebacks (I'm thinking of Styles comeback after the suplex on the ladder outside), with some creative but not contrived use of the ladder, and a good flow until the idiotic end with a Sonny Siaki run-in (the second one of the show) followed by a Dusy finish. Yep. A Dusty finish in a ladder match. Something that really didn't need to happen, but you know who's booking this shit. Anyway…

Third good little match was Amazing Red vs Shark Boy (who apparently is a "cult favourite" in late WCW, which is something that totally eluded me when I watched that particular kind of crap), quite indy spotfuesque, but still fun for what is was. I kinda like Shark Boy.

On the other hand, SAT vs Flying Elvises was a bad indy spotfu. I really have no time for the SAT. And Sonny Siaki, in complete Rock clone mode (which makes him quite annoying now, as opposed to kinda funny as long as he was an Elvis), doing a run-in didn't do this match any favour anyway. A watchable tag team match between Harris & Storm vs Harris (yeah, Ron) & some dude named Ashley Hudson (who was actually enjoyable as he's an old-school kinda worker) with more threats of this feud turning into the comeback of the dreaded Harris Twins tag team.

And a semi-decent main event consisting of Jeff Jarrett & Brian Lawler vs BJ James & Syxx-Pac, with Lawler is total Memphis comedy heel while Jarrett & Syxx were in 99 WWF TV match mode. James was in "I got fat and don't do shit anymore since I used to be a big star, remember ?" mode, and as much as I enjoyed his mic work, his work is very disapointing. The ending saw Jarrett bash a bunch of people with a chair. This is really old already. The most notable thing was an offensive "babyface" promo by Syxx before the match, saying to Lawler that "You treat your girlfriend like a bitch, and as long as you do I'll keep on banging her behind your back.", with the added insult that if he gets nicer he might have the right to watch. Okay, none of this makes sense really, and it's the typical mysoginic shit that Russo loves, as April doesn't even get to react, she's just there to be abused by Lawler and be call a bitch. If that was a take on Jerry & Stacy, well, it was both cryptic, meta and totally useless (not to mention petty and low class). I can't say I missed watching this show very much, and this episode was particulary heavy on stupid shit.

2002.10.02 Low-Ki vs Ron Killings

2002.10.02 AJ Styles vs Jerry Lynn

PPV 15 was awful. The only notable thing was the debut of Curt Hennig, sporting a brand new (ugly and loud) outfit, which he never bothered to get when he was in WCW. Hennig & Syxx-Pac & BJ James vs Brian Lawler & Jeff Jarrett & Ron Killings was decent, although Hennig didn't show much of anything really, and we get the second appearance of Mr. Wrestling III aka soon-to-be-Vince Russo.

The rest of show show consisted of a bunch of clusterfucks X-division matches, with stupid booking and restarts and nonsensical finishes (1st contender 4-way Iron-Man match - 1st contender match ending in 60 seconds then a multi-man ladder match for the title). The only other watchable match of that bunch was Harris & Storm vs SAT, which was as "good" as a SAT match can be (Joel seems less worse than Jose, but I'm not positive about this).

Chris Rock showed up for no reason. Then we get some appearance by some sport guy and Miss TNA. Yeah. That show was a complete waste. It seems like Russo was gaining more power backstage, which would explain why he would soon write himself into the shows, and why so many stupid gimmick matches and idiotic booking.

A terrible show. The highlight was the blonde cage dancer.

I dig the idea of an ongoing "Recommended Watch List", sort of like what TravJ put together. I plan on revisiting my favorite TNA matches around fall or winter this year - mostly a bunch of Joe, Aries, James Storm, some Christian, and even Angle/Anderson in the cage - but I think it'd be more appropriate if I started back at the beginning and worked my way through.

Some of this stuff looks ROUGH. I just can't imagine sitting through it all. Thoughts of death wishes would start to dance around in my head, and I'd have to question where I went wrong in life.

You're a brave soldier, man. A scholar and a saint in some circles, I'm sure. :D

Thanks for the support, because this promotion is getting noticeably worse.

PPV 16 had exactly one good match. Syxx-Pac vs AJ Styles started slow, but it built into something really good. You can see Waltman's footprints all over the match, which wasn't worked like your standart X-division spotfest at all. Much more structure and escalation in the use of spots, which is why it took some time to get going (which is infact better, but we're not used to that anymore). The bad part comes from the fact Styles is now managed by Mortimer Plumbtree, which is both useless and actively hurts the match at points. Plumbtree seems right out of early 90's WCW or USWA, and no, it's not a compliment. Apart from that, it ended with a fuck finish to build to a return match. The slower pace also allowed Styles to show more heel charisma and maneurisms here, and he was good at making fun of Waltman's signature spots. The execution was kinda shaky at times, but nothing too bad.

The rest of the show. Well. Lots of faceless indy guys like Ace Steel, Wylde, Chris & Rick Micheals in semi-competitive matches that weren't good not entertaining in the least to me. It seems like you're watching the same kind of stuff in every match. Norman Smiley showed up only to be squashed by Ron Harris. ZZZZzzzzz. A bad Siaki vs Estrada indieriffic match. Brian Lawler doing the usual abusive boyfriend routine, only now we know April is probably fucking Syxx-Pac behind his back. A bad Curt Hennig vs Ron Killings main event in which Hennig looked washed up, with more Mr. Wrestling II bullshit and Jarrett run-in. And some ff material involving some race car guy (I think) and Bruce. Not watching that crap.

The only enjoyable moments apart from the X-division championship match was two quick interview segments with Mike Tenay, talking with Waltman and Hennig, refering to their personnal history, even going back to Global and the AWA. That was nice. But really, this whole show was a waste of time apart from that one match. Seems like the booking is getting worse by the week. Thank God for that blonde cage dancer.

2002.10.16 Syxx-Pac vs AJ Styles