Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network finally happening

flyonthewall2983

I'm still interested in how much money content providers are making off Netflix in the model the WWE would be following.

I haven't been able to figure out any good numbers (and WWE doesn't say in their financial statements how much they get from Netflix under their current deal), but for what it's worth, Dave said earlier this year that content providers don't get a lot of money from Netflix deals.

The big question mark is if they'd keep the plans for including the PPVs.

Wouldn't WWE essentially have to do it? Besides maybe full replays of Raw, do they have any content that would convince Netflix to pay a lot of money for it or would really get people to pay for an additional tier?

Speaking of PPVs airing on a streaming service, if WWE ended up making a deal with Netflix, there's good reason to believe that it wouldn't air live. If it was put on Netflix after a certain period (such as a day), would the hardcore fans who buy PPVs wait to watch the shows, or would they still pay $45 or $55 to watch it live?

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any reason why the WWE has to give away their B-ppvs for free on the WWE Network?

Wouldn't a combination of classic programming, new programming, hyped like only WWE can (APP APP APP APP TOUT TOUT TOUT)

bring in a huge chunk of subscribers?

Maybe sprinkle in a big time ppv once or twice a year?

Why not set it up where if you subscribe to the network the B-ppvs are discounted?

Thus you are giving people incentive to purchase the subscription and incentive to purchase the ppv.

I know if a well-booked ppv was $25 bucks I would be much more likely to purchase it.

Netflix has never run live events either so that would be new

They've even talked about thinking live events might not fit into their VOD model.

Some of that may simply be positioning. The major live events (i.e. Sports) are all pretty much tied up for years to come. The few major ones coming up in the next few years (NBA and Big 10) being the biggest, are at a price point that Netflix flat out doesn't want to pay. The next NBA contract will be $1B+ a year. No way Netflix want to cough up that. On the flip, the NBA would force Netflix to pay a premium above and beyond what ESPN/TNT would pay similar to when they first went with DirecTV on the Sunday package: it was a new model for the NFL, and they were going to force DirecTV to pay a ton and take all the risk. So for the NBA to move half their package off a regular network, or create a new 3rd package for Netflix... those Netflix boys would need to back up the Brinks Truck. This in terms of how ESPN overpays for Monday Night Football - vastly more money than NBC, CBS and Fox pay for generally weaker games.

I think a lot of that is why Netflix at this minute doesn't want to go down that path: pricey, and not cost effective year.

On the flip, if they continue to grow, and their explorations in New Content (like House of Cards) continues to grow, that it wouldn't be surprising to see them become a player next decade when deals start popping up again... and a larger % of the population has spent years of using services like Netflix.

On that level... perhaps at some point experimenting with content like the WWE is a good test for them. Far cheaper, and with vastly smaller number of viewers than say a big sporting event. Let's them test live "broadcasting" and delivery.

John

I'm still interested in how much money content providers are making off Netflix in the model the WWE would be following.

I haven't been able to figure out any good numbers (and WWE doesn't say in their financial statements how much they get from Netflix under their current deal), but for what it's worth, Dave said earlier this year that content providers don't get a lot of money from Netflix deals.

Have seen some articles on that, though like you, the numbers tend to be buried.

Wouldn't WWE essentially have to do it? Besides maybe full replays of Raw, do they have any content that would convince Netflix to pay a lot of money for it or would really get people to pay for an additional tier?

Here's where it gets tricky. There also have been articles about Netflix cutting into viewership of existing shows, including one tangent on the impact on kids programing. Making older stuff easily available send ratings/viewers down 10%+ on the newer stuff. Given what Comcast will be paying for Raw, assuming that it stays there, one suspects they don't want to see it damaged.

Slightly different with a WWE Network on the cable dial. They could show "last week's" episode on the Network to be a "lead in" to this week's on Monday. In a sense, back to back.

For the Netflix/Hulu thing it seems like they would have to tier it, so WWE content would be sectioned off. I don't see any way for the WWE to get close to the revenue they need from just offering as it part of the overall Netflix/Hulu package.

And Netflix/Hulu would have to run the PPV shows as live programming, which is something totally outside their comfort zone.

If the PPVs couldn't be broadcast live and there would be issues with replaying stuff like Raw, I don't understand how something like a paid tier would interest a lot of people.

It would seem like it would make more sense to just try to expand their current deal.

Stephanie no longer heads Creative. She has gotten a massive promotion.

More wheels seem to be turning WWE Network wise.

WWE Promotes Key Executives to Lead Future Growth December 4, 2013 STAMFORD, Conn., December 4, 2013 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) is poised for transformative growth in important areas, including the renegotiation of its four largest television rights agreements, the potential launch of a WWE Network, expansion in key international markets, distribution of content on emerging platforms and new strategic partnerships. Michelle D. Wilson, George Barrios and Stephanie McMahon have been promoted to lead WWE in the execution of these strategic growth initiatives.

Michelle D. Wilson, formerly Chief Marketing Officer, has been promoted to Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer and will now oversee all of the company’s revenue lines and assume responsibility for WWE’s $900 million retail consumer products business. Wilson retains her current revenue generating responsibilities for Sponsorship Sales, Pay-Per-View and New Business Development and will continue to oversee all WWE Marketing and Corporate Communications. Wilson is also spearheading the company’s efforts to launch a WWE Network and will continue to report directly to WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon. Casey Collins, Executive Vice President, Consumer Products will report to Wilson.

George Barrios, formerly Chief Financial Officer, has been promoted to Chief Strategy and Financial Officer and will now oversee all of the company’s strategic planning processes and take over management of WWE’s day-to-day Television Operations. He will retain his management of Financial Planning and Investor Relations. With Wilson, Barrios is co-leading WWE’s television rights negotiations and will continue to report directly to WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon. Will Staeger, Executive Vice President, Television Production will report to Barrios.

Stephanie McMahon, formerly Executive Vice President, Creative, has been promoted to Chief Brand Officer and will lead WWE’s efforts to further enhance its brand reputation among key constituencies including advertisers, media, business partners and investors. McMahon will serve as the company’s brand ambassador and work with WWE’s business units to support key growth initiatives. McMahon will also lead WWE’s targeted youth and moms marketing programs and will continue to report directly to WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon.

Kevin Dunn will serve as Executive Producer of all WWE programming, including Monday Night Raw, Friday Night SmackDown, WWE Main Event and Total Divas and will continue to report to Vince McMahon.

“WWE is entering a new era of unprecedented growth,” said WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Vince McMahon. “I am confident that my senior executive team is now organized more effectively to capitalize on the wealth of opportunities.”

Additionally, Perkins Miller, Executive Vice President, Digital Media will report to Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon, and Eddie Feldmann, Senior Vice President, Creative Writing will report to Paul Levesque, Executive Vice President, Talent and Live Events.

Kind of a lateral move. Below Vince, it's Trip, Barrios and Wilson who are actually managing the core business units and strategy.

She may be moving over into a Learn The Rest Of The Business role with that "work with WWE’s business units to support key growth initiatives" aspect which takes here away from the Entertainment side that she was in.

A lot of companies do this. We had it most recently when the "heir" to our CFO was moved from her longtime Finance management role into oversight of the other half of the stuff that fell under the CFO (Operations, Logistics, Support). It was a straight lateral move, no promotion, and someone else taking over here "old job". Some people initially saw it as her being moved out for another Finance person, but they were missing the boat. Our old CFO wanted her to learn and manage everything to get ready to take his job when he retired in a few years. Which is what happened, and she's not the CFO.

We all assume Trip and Steph will run the company after Vince. Both of them were focused on the Entertainment side. This moves Steph into a spot where she can work more closely with Barrios and Wilson, and on the future of the business side of the business rather than the entertainment side.

We all assume Trip and Steph will run the company after Vince. Both of them were focused on the Entertainment side. This moves Steph into a spot where she can work more closely with Barrios and Wilson, and on the future of the business side of the business rather than the entertainment side.

And I'm assuming it's part of her role as being a working mom rather than someone who has to be at live events working with a creative team.

I agree with John, all lateral moves, though it may be a sign that Vince is giving up more of his duties and responsibilities, though he's still the man in charge of course. Moreover, it looks like everyone in the company has more work on their plate with the WWE Network finally about to be launched.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/436381-maj...-details-on-csr

Justin LaBar's saying it's launching on 2/24/14 as PWInsider reported, online only available on all major connected devices, 24/7 stream plus an on demand library that includes every Raw, Smackdown, and PPV to date at launch. $10/month, you pay $60 up-front at launch for the first 6 months but get WM30 and all subsequent non-WM PPVs as part of the subscription.

Obviously WZ's track record is mixed, but they have broken legitimate stories before and there a number of things there that make sense, especially the pricing scheme at launch.

This is probably the best way to go, all things considered. Not getting cable/sat carriage may be an ego blow but now they don't have to split half whatever they make, so the likely small subscriber base they'll get either way will probably make them more money now.

Should be interesting to see the reaction to the non Mania PPVs being available, I'd imagine there's some pants being shat right now at the thought of an anniversary WM being available there too.

I don't have Netflix or anything like it to know about the type of video quality to expect, so I'm wondering if this new service is likely to have the disgusting film-like quality that plagued Classics on Demand from 2010 to 2012? Even though I watch all the PPVs and love classic wrestling, I'll pass on this service and pay more for the regular PPVs then subscribe to a sub-par quality offering.

I don't have Netflix or anything like it to know about the type of video quality to expect, so I'm wondering if this new service is likely to have the disgusting film-like quality that plagued Classics on Demand from 2010 to 2012? Even though I watch all the PPVs and love classic wrestling, I'll pass on this service and pay more for the regular PPVs then subscribe to a sub-par quality offering.

Netflix's best quality HD streams are (arguably) better quality than cable HD for a number of reasons including the use of more efficient video compression formats.

I don't want to get into the technical explanation of the Classics on Demand picture quality issues (we know what happened, just not why) but Classics is an afterthought and this isn't. They won't make sloppy mistakes.

There will be some cut on the card processing, but they'll just use the same entity that they currently use on WWE.com.

Would be interested who they're using to provide the backbone, or if they're putting it together to run themselves in 2 months.

So who else is doing something remotely close to this that we can look at as an example?