Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-10-16-WCW-Nitro] Eddy Guerrero vs Chris Benoit

Loss

• 2 months later...

Actually, now that I think of it, there is: Benoit works the arm here like the Andersons wish they could. Northern Lights Suplex with an arm tied under, Back Suplex with an arm tied under... granted, he was almost certainly the greatest wrestler ever mechanically at this point in time, but still.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great match, only complaint is that Eddy hitting his arm on the ringpost was a little mistimed as it appeared to me that he connected more with Benoit than with the ringpost. Post-match Bischoff mentions a cruiserweight title for competitors such as Benoit, Guerrero, and Malenko. After seeing this match I don't know how any fan at the time couldn't be pumped for the prospective cruiserweight division.

• 3 months later...

I remember picking up the Benoit DVD as soon as it came out and I was totally awestruck by this match. This is SPEED personified. There are other workers that could execute these moves, but I do not think anybody could execute these moves at this speed and intensity as cleanly. The arm psychology was perfect with Eddie as the face and Benoit the aggressor and played into the finish so well. It is one of my favorite matches of all time and I would probably pick it as the Best Nitro Match Ever.

Is this their first Nitro encounter? Curious...

These two had a bunch of TV matches and they were all really good..

Too bad they were vanilla midgets to really go anywhere else, right? World Champs? No way, no one would buy that. Shit, imagine them both as champions at the biggest show of the year...what a joke that would be.

• 4 months later...

Is this their first Nitro encounter? Curious...

Yes, it was Benoit's debut.

Pretty much what's been said previously. Terrific TV match. The difference between Dean vs Eddie is so stricking, as the Dean matches looked like souless exhibitions. This was a wrestling match with incredible speed, intensity, cristal clear execution and actual selling. Awesome match.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Awesome, awesome match. These guys go balls to the wall but offer a nice dose of psychology with the work over Eddie's bad arm, and Eddie countering Benoit when he tries certain moves a second time. One of the better TV matches of the year. You watch this with a combination of major excitement for WCW's immediate future, and a twinge of sadness in knowing what's to come for the company (and yes, the other stuff). Bischoff and Heenan raving about these guys being the future of the business sounds great, but you have to shake your head at Eric not being able to listen to himself.

• 5 months later...

I remember picking up the Benoit DVD as soon as it came out and I was totally awestruck by this match. This is SPEED personified. There are other workers that could execute these moves, but I do not think anybody could execute these moves at this speed and intensity as cleanly. The arm psychology was perfect with Eddie as the face and Benoit the aggressor and played into the finish so well. It is one of my favorite matches of all time and I would probably pick it as the Best Nitro Match Ever.

Ahem...Sting vs DDP...ahem. Still I agree with myself that this is in the top handful.

Chris Benoit vs Eddy Guerrero - WCW Nitro 10/16/95

One of my favorite matches of all time, before youtube all I had was a handful of DVDs from WWE and one was the Benoit DVD. I watched the shit out of it and there was nothing I liked better for those moments when I had only 10 minutes than this fantastic sprint. I was totally awestruck how explosive these two were from both a speed and power standpoint. You see spotfests all the time, but it is a lost art to see them done with such acceleration and intensity. The spots are incredible, but the selling is equally as amazing for how believable it was, but still fit in the context of 10 minute showcase sprint. Early on, they show off their speed and play tit for tat. Their headscissors are amazing. Guerrero scores big with the splash from the top to the outside, but wraps his arm around the ringpost. Eddie sells the arm like a champion the rest of the way, but Benoit should get credit too. Benoit is the best non-Mexican at selling the discombobulation that results from an armdrag. The armdrag keeps him off balance and it is what affords Eddie the chance to hit a Tornado DDT. Benoit sells his head, hits a wicked clothesline and still needs to shake the cobwebs loose. That how you demonstrate to people you are fighting through pain. Benoit works an incredible Anderson-style heat segment and taking it to the next level with an Northern Lights Hammerlock Slam, Jesus! Again, Eddie can use that headscissors to discombobulate Benoit long enough to show he can give as good he gets with the back drop driver and brainbuster. Almost every spot is a direct consequence of what happened previously and then leads into the next one, it is mind blowing how well this laid out while still having giant spots. Benoit gets knees up only to hit the MUTHA OF ALL POWERBOMBS! Eddie kicks out, but when he uses his bad arm to punch Benoit takes advantage with a Dragon Suplex. Tremendous match! It is incredible how they were able to basically pack in all their unique characteristics in one ten minute debut match. Huge offense. Check. Psychology. Check. Selling. Check. Logical Layout. Check. Impressing in a Debut. Check. One of my favorite sprints of all time! ****

• 8 months later...

These guys are a treat to watch mat wrestle. They are so smooth and fluid. Eddie misses (he does actually hit him, but it's a minor gripe) a forearm to Benoit on the outside, and ends up crashing into the ring post. Benoit then takes control of Eddie's injury and continues to do damage to it with a variety of arm-trapped suplexes and slams. My personal favorite was the arm-trapped northern lights. The arm-work is a consistent theme in the match and is incorporated into the finish in a smart way. Eddie, after eating one of the most sweetest looking powerbombs I have ever seen, tries to strike Benoit. He does, but does more to damage to his injured wing than he does to Benoit. Benoit smells blood in the water and dragon suplexes a defenseless Eddie to a victory.

This is a short and snappy TV match between two of the best ever. It's filled with meaningful limbwork and many cool spots, what's not to love?

★★½

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-10-16-WCW-Nitro] Eddy Guerrero vs Chris Benoit