Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to turn this into a massive discussion or anything but I am really taken aback by the volume of Chris Benoit "Remember The Wrestler" type sentiment on Twitter over the murder weekend anniversary. It is like the tide is turning and/or some people feel it is time enough after 6 years.

Think what you want about the idea of remembering him but a lot of the sentiment is really tactless/careless.

Part of it I think is all the research into concussions and CTE that has been done means that some wrestling fans now think it's OK to idolise him again.

Shouldn't the exact opposite be true if it was his wrestling that brought it on? I did have a conversation with some fans elsewhere a few months ago that seemed to have that perspective. They seemed to resent the idea that fans should have some accountability when it comes to guys damaging their brains to entertain them. I foolishly assumed the attitude here about wanting guys working smarter and protecting their long term health was shared elsewhere.

There was probably some overreaction in these parts at the time, but part of that was how cavalier so many people seemed to be about it. Years later, that they've gotten only more cavalier makes sense. I have no problem with people enjoying Benoit matches, but turning that into a crusade is where I am lost.

He killed his 7-year old son by choking him to death with his wrestling finisher. That's worth emphasizing.

The wrestling response was to pretend Benoit never existed and personally attack anyone who made a valid point about the business or steroids. Blaming wrestling for what Benoit did is probably taking it a stretch too far, since wrestlers don't habitually kill their children. But WWE's ultra-defensive response that ended up with the credibility of their wellness policy destroyed by a dozen suspensions was pretty bad.

I have no problem with Bryan paying tribute to Benoit, but the recklessness of his spots lately is way over the top. There is really no need for the guy to put himself through so much physical abuse.

I don't know if the stopping the match on RAW last week is "part of the angle" but his suicide dives into the barricade are brutal, and if he's not careful he's going to kill himself. The diving headbutts are nothing compared to that

He killed his 7-year old son by choking him to death with his wrestling finisher. That's worth emphasizing.

Haven't most reliable sources exposed that as bullshit? Murdering Daniel with the crossface was just a rumour going around when it first happened. Not that it makes it any less horrible, but still.

YouTube comments on Benoit stuff are over 50% people praising him, either by saying "He was a great wrestler, that is all that matters" or by claiming he was crazy and brain damaged due to wrestling and didn't know what he was doing.

I have no problem with Bryan paying tribute to Benoit, but the recklessness of his spots lately is way over the top. There is really no need for the guy to put himself through so much physical abuse.

I don't know if the stopping the match on RAW last week is "part of the angle" but his suicide dives into the barricade are brutal, and if he's not careful he's going to kill himself. The diving headbutts are nothing compared to that

Maybe, but it is widely assumed that a lot of the brain damage Benoit accumulated through his career had come from that diving headbutt, seeing how Benoit has his hands out to his sides and takes the full brunt of the impact head-on. I do agree Danielson does the rope dive too often, but in theory you have people catching him and breaking his fall.

Haven't most reliable sources exposed that as bullshit?

No. It was in the WON at the time. I think the confusion is that it was refuted in between the murders and the WON going out, and then the WON confirmed that it was actually true.

Don't want to turn this into a massive discussion or anything but I am really taken aback by the volume of Chris Benoit "Remember The Wrestler" type sentiment on Twitter over the murder weekend anniversary. It is like the tide is turning and/or some people feel it is time enough after 6 years.

Think what you want about the idea of remembering him but a lot of the sentiment is really tactless/careless.

Disgusting. And people wonder why most of the rest of society looks down on wrestling fans. It's not because of following a fake sport, it's because all too often they really do fit into the lowest common denominator stereotype.

Disgusting. And people wonder why most of the rest of society looks down on wrestling fans. It's not because of following a fake sport, it's because all too often they really do fit into the lowest common denominator stereotype.

Don't tar wrestling fans unfairly, football fans apply the same principle to OJ Simpson and his achievements. Chris Brown still sells millions of records despite his despicable crimes. People still love Phil Spector and praise his music despite the fact he was a murderer. Actors who have committed awful crimes still get praised. It isn't wrestling fans who do this, it is a good proportion of society.

But it is widely assumed that a lot of the brain damage Benoit accumulated through his career had come from that diving headbutt, seeing how Benoit has his hands out to his sides and takes the full brunt of the impact head-on.

He didn't. He'd bring his forearms in and across his upper torso, spreading the impact, and turn his head to the side; ie, taking a standard front bump. Or, why missing a moonsault every match won't wreck your knees nearly as much as landing it will. No matter how defined someone's pecs may be it's no worse a headshot than a standard (and hardly Misawa-level) forearm to the neck. His habit of taking a superplex (whilst delivering it) and almost folding over for the "authenticity" in a double KO spot did far more damage, for instance.

But it is widely assumed that a lot of the brain damage Benoit accumulated through his career had come from that diving headbutt, seeing how Benoit has his hands out to his sides and takes the full brunt of the impact head-on.

He didn't. He'd bring his forearms in and across his upper torso, spreading the impact, and turn his head to the side; ie, taking a standard front bump. Or, why missing a moonsault every match won't wreck your knees nearly as much as landing it will. No matter how defined someone's pecs may be it's no worse a headshot than a standard (and hardly Misawa-level) forearm to the neck. His habit of taking a superplex (whilst delivering it) and almost folding over for the "authenticity" in a double KO spot did far more damage, for instance.

Yes it would appear that he did what you described, but I don't know if it actually protects his head doing that or if it is no different than taking it full on in the head. On a side note, to check out what MJH was talking about, I stupidly decided to check out Benoit's diving head butt off the top of the cage against Angle on a RAW episode, and I was shocked that Benoit actually LEAPT to do the move. Dude was already a good 4-5 feet higher than the top rope, why add even more height to it??? (Well, actually, I'd have made sure he didn't do that move to begin with from that height, but rather only the top rope like usual, to preserve my KOTR main event and summer lineups) And on a free show?! So stupid.

Actually the stupidest headbutt spot he did would be a '93(?) match with Liger, which begins with him throwing Liger to the floor and doing it off the top rope to the floor within the first, what, 30 seconds or so? At least the TLC bump was to set up an injury angle and was a crucial spot of the match; the headbutt off the cage came at the climax, etc... but I digress. The point being, the flying headbutt is just a front bump; of all top rope finishers it's probably the safest on the guy hitting it: you have more of your body to break the fall than on splashes/moonsaults/legdrops/elbowdrops, etc... it's no worse than taking a press-slam->front-bump every match, and the biggest risk is winding yourself.

Don't tar wrestling fans unfairly, football fans apply the same principle to OJ Simpson and his achievements. Chris Brown still sells millions of records despite his despicable crimes. People still love Phil Spector and praise his music despite the fact he was a murderer. Actors who have committed awful crimes still get praised. It isn't wrestling fans who do this, it is a good proportion of society.

Find me the people on the anniversary of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman's murders that are tweeting #Remember2000yards. Find me the people who take the anniversary of Lana Clarkson's murder to look back fondly on the Wall of Sound. No? OK.

Find me the people on the anniversary of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman's murders that are tweeting #Remember2000yards. Find me the people who take the anniversary of Lana Clarkson's murder to look back fondly on the Wall of Sound. No? OK.

Well, it's a little unique because it's also the day he died.