Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Jericho is overrated

Coffey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's definitely a step above Edge. He's most likely several steps above Edge.

This has to be the most egregious case of damning someone with faint praise I've ever seen

Ha! But I actually didn't mean it that way. Just meant earnestly that Jericho is far, far better than Edge.

I kind of soured on Chris Jericho initially after reading his book. I remember specifically him talking about Scott Hall not knowing how to do a Roll-up finisher or something and it really made me mad. I mean, Scott Hall was wrestling as the Diamond Studd in WCW in like 1991. He worked before that for like five or six years too. Then AFTER that as Razor Ramon and then finally Scott Hall in the nWo and he was a pretty damn good wrestler...but Jericho wanted me, as a reader, to believe that sometime in 1997 or so Scott Hall didn't know how to do a roll-up finisher out of the Razor's Edge? Bullshit.

I forget who in SMW pointed out all the lies in Jericho's book, but it was an interesting read.

EDIT: Here it is.

When someone's beef is that "he wouldn't go to the strip club with us!", it's hard to take it seriously as objective fact checking. I think every autobiography takes liberties with events. You just don't remember every detail in your life. The big picture of the story is what counts, and you have to take everything else with a grain of salt.

In his second book, iirc, Jericho seems to REALLY look back on the Stephanie feud like it was one of the real highlights of his career. I remember reading that and thinking it was written by a smart man who was coming back and didn't want to step on any toes. Creatively it was on the level of some of the worst moments of the Russorific 1999 WWF. Referencing Newman from Seinfeld was maybe the wittiest thing the creative team came up with...and that was roughly five to ten years out of date. Personally, I dig lucha/IWA Winnipeg/Japan Jericho the most. Well, maybe not more than the conspiracy victim version but I'd usually rather watch lucha than almost anything.

The frustrating thing is that on paper, pairing Stephanie with Jericho should have worked. They should have gotten molten heat. They almost went out of their way to make sure it didn't work.

In Jericho's book he's talking about 2000 when he was an antagonist to Stephanie and HHH. He credits it with getting him over and putting his WWE career on track after a rough start. IIRC he wasn't a big fan of the 2002 booking, but liked working with Stephanie again.

You mean he wasn't a fan of ANY of this???

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/newinduction1.html

I mean shit, RUNNING OVER A DOG?

Not just running over a dog. If the heel deliberately ran over the babyface's well-known beloved dog... well, that would still suck, because animal mascot angles never work. But still, they did it in literally the worst way possible. We'd never even known that HHH had a dog until that very episode of television. Stephanie ordered her man-bitch servant Jericho to take the dog out for walkies, which he did. And then he accidentally backed a car over it, looking like the biggest dumbass on the planet. There wasn't one second of that angle which didn't make Jericho seem like a chump, completely ruining all of Rock's recent hard work to build Chris into a legit top guy.

Torch link worked for me just now. Who knows.

I finished reading Jericho's second book and he was pretty clear that he didn't like 2002 booking and wasn't a fan of the Lucy the Dog angle. Where he puts over his work with Steph was during his 2000 run, not his 2001/2022 run, other than how much fun he and Rock had poking fun at Steph's breast implants.

And, really, I think a big reason the Jericho/Steph stuff worked better in 2000 was because Steph was far better with her character then. In 2001 and 2002, she tried to be like her Daddy... and failed.

I loved Jericho in 98 and 99, because he got my sister into pro wrestling (she was 11). She loved Jericho and it was so fun getting to watch wrestling with her. I remember how much we cried and rolled on the floor laughing during his Road Wild '98 entrance where he came out in a kimono and pointed out goober bikers in the crowd, then got on the stick and talked about how he was cruising around earlier that day on his Honda, and then got drowned out by roaring Harleys.

I like Jericho just fine. He may be overrated, but people are talking about him like he's Edge all of a sudden. I was there live for the 2009 GAB Mysterio match and had a blast. Is he a GOAT? No. But he produces consistently entertaining stuff, and that's really all I ask for.

I'm in agreement with this, besides the "consistently" entertaining part. I thinks he's sparingly entertaining the same way I think his performances are hit or miss. I think he's been a big ball of flashy suck since his return.

Yeah, the booking has really let Jericho down so far. First they switch the Rumble winner because everyone expected Jericho to win. Then they take him out of the Elimination Chamber in lame fashion to avoid having him pinned. Then he wins a battle royale on TV to get the WM title shot where the finish is Cody Rhodes eliminating Big Show from the outside. They've literally dropped the ball at every turn so far. He has to win the title on Sunday to salvage his comeback, so that probably means he loses and wins the next month when he'll have even less momentum.

The WWE getting in the habit of changing finishes to swerve the audience is worse than when Russo does it because WWE ends up ruining well laid out plans, while nothing Russo does makes sense anyway. Another example is when Christian came back in 2009 he was supposed to be the mystery guy who had been attacking Jeff Hardy but they changed it to Matt Hardy last minute, retroactively applying a story that made no sense, and sticking Christian into Hardy's spot on ECW. Or when they changed course on giving Alberto Del Rio the title after building to it for a year, totally screwing with his momentum.