Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-30-WWF-Superstars] Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund

Loss

• 2 months later...

Excellent match - really unique compared to what was happening in the WWF at the time. Backlund aggressively goes after Bret as the announcers make the point that it has been ten years since he challenged for the title. The match is all about Backlund trying to school Bret on the mat. Every time Bret gets the better of an exchange, Backlund lunges himself at Bret out of desperation. Backlund doing two bridge ups in a row from Bret's pinning attempts was incredible. Great finish to set up the angle, as Backlund prematurely celebrates a victory and Bret catches him with an inside cradle.

Backlund slaps Bret when he extends his hand for a second handshake, then locks him in the crossface chicken wing while looking insane. This was tremendous. I know this didn't light the world on fire, but the whole Backlund push and "repackaging" (If you can even call it that ...) is one of the best things the WWF has ever done.

Backlund comes down to the ring with no entrance music and gives the crowd a big thumbs up. I haven’t seen this since originally watching it on Superstars at the time so my memory isn’t the best about match. Great match. I liked them being able to use pinfalls compared to the Submission match as allowed for all these bridge attempts by Backlund. Bob does some of his impressive strength feats including twice bridging out of pin attempts. Backlund celebrates too early and ends up going down to Bret’s small package move. They shake hands at first and when Bret goes for another handshake, Backlund snaps. Love when he just stares at this hands after letting go of Bret. Always thought the Cross Face Chickenwing was a sweet move.

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely making the most out of a bad situation (ie. the available talent pool). Lots of technical wrestling matches are glorified spotfests, but this combines technique AND story. When you throw in the post-match, this is maybe the best match-centered segment ever on Superstars.

This was really good. Backlund gets in some quick near falls to let Bret know that this is the real deal. The rest of the match is great with Bret trying to ground Backlund but the veteran continues to counter into his own hold or pin attempt. They really show the fatigue as the match progresses which I liked. The finish and post-match are done extremely well and I too loved Backlund staring at his hands in disbelief after locking in the Cross Face Chickenwing on Bret. Great match and great angle.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Terrific bout--even as the U.S. starts to badly lag behind Japan in terms of ring-work, Bret stands out as probably the U.S. WOTY, as he's put on several terrific matches in several different styles, even within the stifling confines of the WWF. Old-school matwork here, natch, but both guys are just tremendous at working holds and counterholds, instead of the standard "armbar, then get up and walk to the ropes" way of killing time. That adds impact to relatively simple moves like the piledriver and back suplex, and the result is a match far, far more memorable and enriching than the Michinoku Pro spotfest we just saw. It would have been easy to have Backlund start to heel it up during the match itself, but aside from a non-clean break in the corner in the opening portion, it's wrestled 100% on the level. That just adds to the impact when Backlund levels Bret with the slap and clamps on the chicken-wing. Ten years after he first asked him to do it, Vince finally has a heel Backlund. More fans today remember Mr. Backlund more than the clean-cut WW(W)F Champion, but this was an utterly mindblowing development.

• 1 year later...

Backlund finally gets his WWF title shot after the unjust events of a decade past. His thumbs up to the crowd beforehand was hilarious. Some beautiful technique was displayed, in the early going especially. This veteran could still go. A scientific and rule abiding contest throughout. Always a good quality level. Somehow it didn't quite click together in the closing stages. Slightly less than the sum of its parts. The flash pin wasn't at all conclusive, which was ideal for the start of a rivalry. Afterwards Bob displays great sportsmanship with the handshake. Bret comes back and mockingly rubs his nose in it. The resultant procurement was indoubedably warrantable.

• 7 months later...

I love the story they are telling when this starts off. Backlund is very aggressive, and Hart is trying to figure out the situation. I enjoyed the left armwork from Bret, Backlund sells it well, and him rolling it into a nearfall was a great. I liked the headbutt trading. They sold it just right. I've seen matches where headbutts are treated like KO's hockey punches today. They really took the time to put each movement over. This is a really good match, but for me it's the angle at the end that makes it memorable.

#453 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/2/

• 6 months later...

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund - WWF Superstars 7/30/94

I often extol Bret's talents in these face vs face matches and I think this just one of many examples you can use as evidence for his incredible capability in this very challenging environments. I want to focus on Bob Backlund in this one. To really appreciate this match, I think you need immerse yourself in the matches of Bob Backlund's title reign. Bob Backlund lives by the mantra "anything you can do, I can do better" and his unmatched tenacity. We see that on display here with Backlund going for the early, unique rollups. You can see Bret selling these through his frustration with the ref. Bret knows this aint no walk in the park. But you also see how Backlund has a lost step. That Bret is able to control this match with holds. Backlund still has his freaky strength look at that amazing bridge on the half nelson/hammerlock pinning combination. He still has tenacity look at those multiple waistlock takedowns to the outside. How about how Bret will hit a strike and Backlund will come back with that same strike that is classic Backlund. But still he cant maintain control he was once able to that's what I mean when he has lost a step. He is Bob Backlund but he is older and Bret can overwhelm him. He can fight out of the Sharpshooter all he wants but Bret will drop that elbow on him. Some really great sequences here with backslides and bridge outs. Just some really great classic, technical wrestling that is all about competition. Backlund besides the cradles does not have as much in his offensive arsenal in terms of stringing things along and I think that was a great way to show his age. Bret takes a nasty spill to the floor when Bob gets up early on a dropdown. I LOVE THAT! That's just a perfect little thing that could happen in a wrestling match. Backlund tries to take advantage but cant really capitalize and then Bret is able to get a small package after about 6 unique cradles from Backlund, Bob succumbs to a small package. Beautiful symmetry. This is just a great classic championship match that Bret does a great job treating it like an NWA Champion would and Backlund makes for such a unique opponent. The post-match turn with Bret offering a handshake of respect and Bob snapping and attacking him with the Crossface Chickenwing is one of the best WWF angles of all time. It is only further enhanced by how they played off the past history with Backlund being screwed out of the championship in 83 with the towel being thrown in on his behalf and the Arnie Skaaland segment they do later is great. Taken all together it is just terrific pro wrestling. ****1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1994-07-30-WWF-Superstars] Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund