Pro Wrestling Only

SummerSlam

Cox

No reason for me to paste my same thoughts again so I'll just say two things: 1. I'm genuinely surprised at the love for Dolph/Jericho as I thought it was VERY sub par, especially from what those guys can usually do. 2. Brock Lesnar & Triple H both are very polarizing figures.

(I did paste my thoughts on a blog here & on DVDVR)

That was one conservative PPV, especially for what's supposed be the second biggest PPV of the year. Not to say that's a bad thing, necessarily.

Mainly, I'm annoyed Rey didn't get Miz in the eyes with his bat-ears.

Also I would have LOVED to see Daniel Bryan vs 1985 era Mr. Fuji in a kung fu challenge.

Guest Nell Santucci

I was bored with the main after the first 5 minutes. I was really hyped after Brock took off the gloves and punched Trips in the back of the head and the announcers played it up. Then he never just played punching bag with Trips face after. It is a match that I would be willing to watch again.

I fell asleep and missed the whole PPV. From the two recaps I read, it doesn't look like I missed a whole lot. Triple H's match against Lesnar seemed really substandard for what it was. This only further supports Waco's view that Triple H is overrated.

I don't think you can blame that on running SummerSlam at the Staples Center every year, so much as WWE just ran an unexciting show on paper that was just as unexciting as advertised. There is a huge difference between running two TV tapings a month and 8 PPVs a year in the same building and running one PPV a year in the same building.

What made Brock/Cena so special was that it was unlike anything else on the show. The fact that Cena won is almost a footnote, the match was mostly Brock kicking Cena's ass in a way that hadn't been seen before.

Brock/HHH was the complete opposite. Brock looked like just another wrestler, and HHH didn't bump or sell nearly as good as Cena did. The last Pedigree, before Brock sprang to life with the armbar and won, looked like Brock almost got spiked.

Or something actually useful like Sheamus/Brock.

I said from day one that the guy for Lesnar to "make" is Sheamus. Why they want to waste him on Cena and Triple H is beyond me. Especially when they really seem to want to push Sheamus as "the guy" on Smackdown but have given him nothing to work with. His rematch with Daniel Bryan was pretty good but I didn't think the finish made him look especially great, then the Del Rio feud has been really long and boring.

If they want to make him, they do Brock vs Sheamus at Mania and let it slip to the sheets that it'll be brock's last match before his contract runs out and he doesn't want to resign because he's had enough. The super smarky Mania crowd will shit all over him and cheer Sheamus to the moon.

Brock did not look like just another guy. He physically dominated HHH in a way I can't recall happening since Hunter became a top guy.

- The Big Show

- Goldberg

- Batista

- The Undertaker

Have all physically dominated Triple H in much more impressive fashion.

To top it all off, he no-sold a Pedigree (!) and made HHH tap in the middle of the ring.

That was pretty much the only part of the match that sold the concept of Brock being an "unstoppable monster" to me.