Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-10-NJPW vs AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu vs Kengo Kimura & Osamu Kido

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing blow away great but a fun mid range back & forth match. I was amused near the end when for about 2 minutes it looked like Osamu Kido was really going to beat Jumbo Tsuruta.....then Jumbo made his comeback which consisted of him hitting 1 move then pinning him with a Thesz Press.

I don't think there was anything terribly memorable about this, except the reaction that this crowd gave Jumbo, which was spectacular. The match is good and action-packed, but it also seems largely like they're filling time. That's not an insult, as they understood their audience and worked really good spots for a dome.

This is definitely a match made by the crowd, as they're nuts for everybody but with a preference for Team NJPW and further preference for Kido. The pops that he gets when he gets Jumbo in the wakigatame are probably the loudest he's ever gotten. Jumbo also doing a Jumbo Killer of his own was a nice touch. That said, Kido especially was not afraid to sit his ass in a chinlock for awhile and there was very little sense that the AJPW side was in grave danger, especially with Jumbo being in the armbar for so long that he almost killed the move.

I'm assuming interpromotional politics necessitated booking a match of this type. It was fun, but you really wish they could have run something closer to a dream match, like a Jumbo vs. Fujinami (though I think he was hurt at this time).

The crowd for this was flat-out nuts. The match itself was good for something that appeared down the card and featured teams of mismatched rank. Kimura got in some really stiff shots, and the crowd went apeshit when Kido got Jumbo in the arm bar. It was about as competitive as it should have been and worth including for the atmosphere alone.

Interesting match that was also a lot of fun. The only thing I have ever really heard hyped up from the 2/10/90 show was the Vader/Hansen match but two matches in and having watched the Hansen/Vader match recently and knowing I liked it a good deal, I am willing to say this may actually be one of the most consistent dome shows ran. This match had a "greatest hits" atmoshphere to it but I loved the crowd really reacting to Jumbo and Kido getting him in the armbar was an insane reaction. Very fun match.

Crowd is way more involved compared to the previous Larry/Saito match. Great atmosphere. The tease of maybe Jumbo tapping out to the submissions were great. Drama for the armbar attempt was fantastic. Finish was kinda weird with Jumbo just doing a Thesz Press and getting the pinfall. Fun match.

• 2 weeks later...

The crowd really likes Jumbo, and Jumbo seems to like mugging for the crowd. Good match.

Question, is there a reason there is no commentary for this match, but there is commentary for Zbyszko/Saito?

The AJPW vs NJPW matches are raw footage that never aired on TV.

• 2 months later...

The crowd were loud throughout but that was diluted by the Dome's shitty accoustics. I wonder how many times this decade I'm going to harp on about what a poor venue for wrestling it is. :P

Consistant action, it would have benefitted from more storyline. Kido was surprisingly the best performer. The guy normally bores me to death. He looks like a bank manager. The idea of him threatening Jumbo was a bit too much of a stretch. The NJ team would've been better with a main eventer.

• 3 months later...

Great crowd and a good but unremarkable match. The finishing minutes were really hot as it looked like Jumbo might submit to Kido twice. The actual finish with the Thesz Press was king of lame and came out of nowhere. Overall I would say that this match was made by the great crowd.

• 2 months later...

Crowd is insane here. My first observation is that I RESPECT Kido's well-kept and gentlemanly-looking moustache. It's an excellent little number. It's almost polite as moustaches go.

This is action-packed, stiff and has a great crowd. Yatsu hits five headbutts in a row. Jumbo sticks a massive boot into Kimura's face.

Crowd goes nuts for an armbar by Kido.

The exchange between Jumbo and Kido is excellent. There's nothing sophisticated or particularly structured about this, but it's so much fun.

If Jumbo was a fan of the original 1987 Street Fighter, he might have said this after the match.

Posted Image

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-10-NJPW vs AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu vs Kengo Kimura & Osamu Kido