Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-11-EMLL] El Dandy & El Satanico & Emilio Charles Jr vs Atlantis & Javier Cruz & Angel Azteca

Loss

• 1 month later...

In an interesting pattern on the yearbook, every EMLL trios match has been better than the one before it. This is my favorite one so far, with the best overall combination of hatred, highspots and a focused layout. Each fall really has its own personality and is a nice mini-match on its own. But what's most impressive here is how they continue to build on the energy level when you think the match has already peaked. Good to the last drop.

I didn't quite see as much hatred except for a bit of scuffling between falls and with the energy Satanico threw into his armbar takedowns, as this was pretty much wrestled on the level. The first fall finish is pretty spectacular and the third with its double-pin screwjob leaves you wanting more instead of feeling screwed over.

Another excellent trios with everyone in it looking good and the action flowing from beginning to end. Some of the Dandy-Atlantis exchanges were incredibly athletic, and the Satanico-Cruz stuff moved with a beautiful fluidity. I hope EMLL keeps its momentum, because all of these are real treats.

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful match with all 6 guys mixing it up and varying their styles. Each fall told its own story and had many interesting facets to it. The sequences between Atlantis and Dandy were especially great and Atlantis has been one of my breakout stars of the set because he was a worker I always really liked and thought was very good but he has been great in what we have seen so far. Cruz and Satanico mixing it up feels like an old man bar fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots of posturing and bravado being displayed during the ring introductions. Nice German suplex by El Dandy. Good fast paced action to finish the first fall. Dandy is getting most of the ring time and looking good in there. Second fall was really rushed. Satanico has a bulldog for all three of his opponents. Double shoulders down pinfall finish. Good match. I presume we are not finished here.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything these guys did was just smooth as silk. Really well worked match. I didn't sense a ton of hatred in this match myself, as it seemed Satanico and Dandy are still technicos, but who don't particularly like Azteca too much...or something. There is a language barrier here so I'm not sure I totally got the story, but the match itself was a ton of fun.

• 1 year later...

This one was worked a lot more like the Southern tags I'm used to, so I wasn't quite as lost, but it still didn't hit the spot. I don't know if it's the overreliance on flips and gymnastics instead of holds and strikes or the language barrier, but I'm still having a bunch of trouble with lucha. I can tell they're great athletes; great workers in the WWF/WCW sense (which is my baseline) not so much. I'm not likely to change my baseline either, so these guys will have an uphill climb, to say the least.

• 1 year later...

Again, I liked El Dandy here. Seems like he kind of works a bit as a face in peril at the beginning? Some pretty viscous arm work on Javier Cruz. I liked the first fall. I'll agree with everyone else, I like these trios matches more than the previous one. I'm still feeling like garretta though, I'm having a tough time. Wait, why did all three guys have to be pinned? Has it been that way the whole time and I just haven't been paying attention? Anyway, the style is just so nuanced that it's difficult to understand psychologically, even after watching Americanized versions of the style.

• 11 months later...

For not having a true rudo team this match sure had a lot of hate. Satanico and Cruz getting into it was great. Atlantis with the blind twisting senton for a fall was fucking nuts. Azteca and Dandy get into it a little bit, but not as much as I expect they will going forward.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-05-11-EMLL] El Dandy & El Satanico & Emilio Charles Jr vs Atlantis & Javier Cruz & Angel Azteca