Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-15-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Stan Hansen & Dan Spivey vs Dory & Terry Funk

Loss

• 3 months later...

The swan song of the Funks in All Japan. Terry bumps all over the place like a madman. I love him yelling "Goddamn you" at Hansen when Hansen keeps stiffing him. His performance alone is enough to make this really good. I have to give Funk credit, as he's the only guy I can recall who has made Japanese fans pop for bumps. Japanese fans tend to focus more on offense as a rule, so it's cool to see Funk get that kind of reaction. So Terry is awesome. Hansen is awesome. Spivey isn't really awesome, but he's fine and doesn't bring this down or anything. Dory ... is Dory ... off in his own world with the style he's working, bringing no real personality or urgency to his work. After he takes the fall, I think he's trying to sell disappointment over losing. Instead, I got more the sense of someone who accidentally spilled a glass of water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This was really good. Dory added a lot more than Spivey, and I'm not knocking Spivey but he was just along for the ride. In fact, Dory played his role as the hot tag as well as he could have for a 49 year old that was never that athletic or mobile to begin with, so props to him. This wasn't their swan song either, although close to it. They finished out the rest of the year with a few of the matches making tape and then had a few more matches up until at least April of 91.

• 2 months later...

This was Terry's show on the Funks' side, as it almost always is, but I have to admit that I was impressed with Spivey. He was more than a clubberer, and much more than the Windham clone Vince tried to shove down our throats in '86. Stan's exchanges with both Funks were classics, and I'm another one who enjoyed Terry screaming at Stan after some particularly stiff shots. Dory threw his usual forearms and made them look good, and he got in a small bit of payback on Stan for abusing Terry. In the end, though, the lariat was too much for him, and Hansen and Spivey got the duke.

Were current U.S. accomplishments mentioned in Japan? In other words, was Stan acknowledged as WCW's U.S. champion and Terry and Memphis' Unified champion? I know that Japanese belts weren't acknowledged here unless they were part of an angle; the only exception that I remember was Crockett recognizing the Road Warriors' title reign in AJPW (I think it was the International titles, but I'm not sure).

• 1 year later...

Terry gets thrown over the top, and Hansen starts beating him down, then he moves on to Dory and starts beating him down, and here we go! Funk is a bumping machine at the start of this match. Hansen delivers a vicious looking chair shot to Funk's back after Funk is thrown out of the ring a second time. When Dory gets tagged in, he does get some cool offense in on the face of Stan Hansen. I love the kick to the head, followed by stepping on Hansen's face and twisting his boot! Spivey doesn't bring much to the table, but when Terry is tagged in to face him, the crowd interest picks up. I liked Hansen charging into a hip toss from Terry, then Funk is back to throwing punches at Spivey. For the most part, this was the Terry Funk show, and the Terry Funk show is a really good show. Dory brought a lot more than Spivey though. Hansen picks up the win pinning Dory after the lariat. Fun stuff.

#478 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/

• 2 weeks later...

Loss' #478 was better than I thought it would be. Hansen vs. Terry was still pretty fun in 1990, but I actually think I liked Dory taking the fight to Stan even more. The Funks were relics of a bygone age at this point but I guess there's nothing All Japan crowds like more than the Funks having one more last hurrah.

• 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-11-15-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Stan Hansen & Dan Spivey vs Dory & Terry Funk
  • 1 year later...

The Funks feel so out of place in All Japan at this point. It's sort of charming and I wish there was more of it. And hey, this was a super fun ten minutes. Terry v Hansen is a GOAT level match-up so of course their exchanges were amazing. Terry gets clubbed about the head, falls out the ring, falls over the barricade, gets walloped with chairs and tries to throw a box full of drinks at Hansen. His flurry of jabs to Spivey late on popped the crowd something fierce and I love that he stopped mid-combo to hiptoss an onrushing Hansen. Even if you'll never get Dory being as expressive as his brother I liked him going right at Hansen with his uppercuts and forearms, and the bit where he grinds the sole of his boot into Hansen's nose was one of the meanest versions of that spot I've seen. He couldn't really do a ton physically, but the people went wild for the spinning toe hold and it was an awesome moment when he locked it in.