Pro Wrestling Only

Hell In A Cell 2012

goodhelmet

Well, WCWs shitty finishes usually included pointless heel/face turns, clusterfucks, countless run ins, laughable convoluted swerves et al. Whereas the Punk/Ryback finish was a fairly standard face gets screwed by corrupt ref with a fast count. It wasn't satisfying in the least but it made sense and was a pretty conventional way of having a heel retain with the face remaining strong.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to get back to the idea that this was WCW-level booking. I don't think you guys remember WCW main events very clear. I just looked up the results of every WCW PPV from 1998 and exactly one had a truly satisfying finish that did not have some type of beatdown, interference, celebrity, swerve, turn on tag partner or a lackluster match. Most of them were downright horrid... Sting-Hogan, Giant & Sting vs. Outsiders, Savage vs. Hogan Cage Match, The two celebrity tags, the worst Wargames of all time, a shitty World War 3 battle royal with an overbooked DDP-Bret Hart match, and the end of Goldberg's run with a tazer. This isn't even discussing the undercards where 3 or 4 of the PPVs of the year could be candidates for Worst PPV of all time. I didn't even pick 1999 or 2000 which are even worse.

Guys... this is not WCW. To claim otherwise is just ignorant.

Your argument doesn't make sense.

Saying "this can't be a WCW type of thing because WCW did shitty finishes/main events more often" is not an argument against that angle/finish being shitty.

No, maybe I wasn't clear but I am saying that this isn't even comparable to the dumbest of WCW moves and the pattern of PPV finishes certainly isn't WCW-like. Those who think the sky is falling and this is WCW level booking all over again weren't paying attention to WCW. This would be like the 50th worst WCW finish.

EDIT: Elaborating more. The match wasn't a great Punk match but there were things to like about the match including alot of the cat and mouse stuff and Ryback doing his best battering ram into the stairs. Also, ultimately, even with the screwy finish, the WWE followed up and left the fans with Ryback on top of a cage with the fans chanting his catchphrase. There are things it seems that WCW never got right... like letting the fans leave thinking they got their money's worth... or if the card was shitty, letting them go home with a feel good moment at the end.

Ryback-Punk finish was the worst thing I've seen from WWE in a long time. Knew putting Ryback in this spot would be a failure, but didn't think it would be that bad. Worse than Kevin Nash running in and "sticking" Punk. Kevin Nash run in would have been better than an evil ref low blow.

It's amazing how much they panicked when Cena needed to have surgery. Threw Vince into a crazy tv match just weeks after Lawler almost died live on air, threw Ryback into a HIAC way before he was ready for even a simple main event.......

Meh, at least they didn't take the belt off of Punk and seem on course for the Punk-Rock match they've been building for 6 months and hopefully a triple threat with Cena at WM

Ryback-Punk finish was the worst thing I've seen from WWE in a long time. Knew putting Ryback in this spot would be a failure, but didn't think it would be that bad. Worse than Kevin Nash running in and "sticking" Punk. Kevin Nash run in would have been better than an evil ref low blow.

It was evil ref low blow, help hold Ryback down, and a fast count... The bought ref Tri-Fecta. And it was far better than that Nash stuff.

And what's with the general hate of a finish like that? It's only been around, like, forever. People today go on so fondly about the evil twin Hebner when Andre beat Hogan, and that was incredibly stupid.

If they ran an angle on Raw that a heel bribed someone to get plastic surgery to look like one of the referees, people would be screaming at the top of their lungs how stupid it is. Bryan would be bringing it up on every show for weeks in that incredulous tone he gets when something outrages him.

How many people are specifically fond of the evil twin ref angle? It's more a case of people having fond memories of 80s WWF and viewing things from the era with rose-colored glasses. I don't see too many people looking back on 2012 WWE with nostalgia.

Anyway, I'm kind of struggling with the distinction between a chickenshit heel and a bitch. Would Punk have really looked like less of a bitch if he had gotten some offense in off something like a Heyman distraction?

Who cares what Alvarez thinks?

Anyone that listens to Observer Radio, I assume. I actually prefer him over Dave Meltzer, myself. Although both of them have their pros and cons.

I've listened to a few of the shows in the last couple of weeks and I don't care what Bryan thinks - certainly not to the extent that he effects the way I think about anything.

Serious question: has there ever been a complete chickenshit heel that has drawn big money? I suppose you could always point to Ric Flair, but the more he was bitched out, the less he drew.

Honky Tonk Man, I suppose. But people tend to forget that the story ended with him decisively getting his comeuppance and then crashing down the card. Heels don't seem to work as well as long-term centerpieces of a promotion, particularly chickenshit ones. Comic books are probably the closest form of entertainment to professional wrestling from a narrative standpoint, and I think promoters could learn a lot from how comics work. The Joker is great as a recurring Batman villain and in the occasional one-shot or limited series, but he shouldn't have his own series.

I've listened to a few of the shows in the last couple of weeks and I don't care what Bryan thinks - certainly not to the extent that he effects the way I think about anything.

He's never not going to be on there. It's his radio show. Dave's constant "ya know?" drives me insane! Plus, to be perfectly honest, when they start talking about MMA, I either fast-forward or shut off the show.

I just like to hear post-RAW & post-PPV opinions I guess. I mean, I don't think I care what Meltzer or Alverez either one ever says, it's not like it sways my opinion any, but I do find that Bryan tends to be closer to my opinions than Dave does. Although both of them seem to be completely ignorant to the rest of the world. It always blows my mind when they don't know, as an example, who a top athlete is, or don't get a TV or movie reference. It's almost funny while at the same time being somewhat sad.

Also, it made me literally laugh aloud, almost to the point of tears, when I heard that Dave Meltzer reviewed that new shitty Kevin James movie...just because there's some MMA in it. What a fucking joke. The same reason I don't want to listen to Jalen Rose talk about the New York Yankees I don't want to hear Dave Meltzer talk about movies.

How many people are specifically fond of the evil twin ref angle? It's more a case of people having fond memories of 80s WWF and viewing things from the era with rose-colored glasses. I don't see too many people looking back on 2012 WWE with nostalgia.

Anyway, I'm kind of struggling with the distinction between a chickenshit heel and a bitch. Would Punk have really looked like less of a bitch if he had gotten some offense in off something like a Heyman distraction?

If he had gotten a significant amount of offense, he would have looked much better and Ryback would have looked better. Instead he looked like a slightly tougher Heath Slater.