Pro Wrestling Only

Things guys that you like do that you hate

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the 619 because it's Rey's signature spot these days but when every single tecnico in EMLL was using it for a while there then it became tedious.

That reminds me the Shining Wizard craze in the early 00's. That move was all over the place, a sign of Mutoh's incredible popularity at this point when he reinvented himself.

Oh, the other thing that annoys me about Rey in WWE is bouncing off the second rope. Makes him look like a midget. I realize the WWE rings are bigger than the WCW ones, but still, I always thought he looked like a lucha midget doing it, and it hurt the perception of him being a big star.

Eh, it's a practicality thing. Rey is nearly a midget & the top rope is higher then his shoulder which makes it not impossible but certainly harder & more dangerous for him to hit the ropes properly if he did it the normal way.

I think this can probably be cleared up for me by some of the guys that put together the AWA set, but...

I don't like how much Jerry Blackwell gives his opponents. Here's this huge dude, and (granted, I'm only 3 discs in) I've yet to see him look like a real threat.

My theory is that I'm seeing a lot of blow-off matches. Stuff where the point of the match is for the face to finally get their hands on Blackwell, so they're giving the crowd what they paid to see. I'm guessing that he was built up as a threat via tv squashes and attacks on dudes earlier, etc.

Is this right? I mean, the dude is in six of my current top ten matches. But this thread is about things you don't like by guys you like, so...

Not a fan of Bret teasing kicking a guy in the balls and then kicking him in the stomach. It always looked like a balls shot, but didn't get the heat of a balls shot, and wasn't called as a balls shot.

It kind of defies logic too, since one would assume that Bret would go for the Sharpshooter in that situation - especially if his opponent isn't resisting that positioning.

Are there any standard spots that your favourites do that irritate you?

For example, I love Arn Anderson but I don't like it whenever he does the cartoony "drunk" punches into thin air. I can understand a guy like Terry Funk having that in his repetoire but with someone who is meant to be as cerebral as Arn, I've never thought it made sense for his character to do that spot.

Arn's matches are filled with comedy spots and bug eyed selling and pointing to his head to show how smart he is only to get knocked silly. Thats the gimmick he's a guy who's seself-definition is built around being a no-nonsense kind of guy constantly being forced into nonsense.

-I can't stand Matt HArdy/Tanaka simultaneously DDT/ace crusher two guys move. And damnit it's ridiculous enough that Maeda will snapmare a guy but damn is his snapmare bad looking.

I really don't like the "five moves of doom" (as Scott Keith puts it) that the majority of babyface wrestlers are doing in WWE these days. I prefer the term "momentum series" personally, to describe the sequence, since it usually follows a prolonged period where the heel has control of the match.

The main problem I have with it is that the majority of "momentum series" users' matches are built round it - with variations, of course, depending on whether the face or heel is taking the win. On the current WWE roster, the following all have their own series (bold are those wrestlers I like, as the thread subject states):

John Cena (shoulder tackle x2, spin-out backdrop, five knuckle shuffle fist drop, Attitude Adjustment)

Rey Mysterio (varies slightly, but always includes the wheelbarrow facebuster, a takedown that ends with the opponents in the ropes, and The 619)

Sheamus (rope trapped forearm smashes, running knee lift, the White Noise, Brogue Kick)

Kofi Kingston (leaping forearm x2, boom drop, Trouble in Paradise)

Santino Marella (splits dodge, falling hiptoss, running diving headbutt, The Cobra)

CM Punk (running calf kick x2, arm trap neckbreaker, flying elbow drop, The GTS) - although he's phased this out recently.

Triple H (knockdown punch x2, Knee facebuster, double A spinebuster, The Pedigree)

Randy Orton (clothesline x2, snap powerslam, rope hung DDT, The RKO)

Daniel Bryan (corner backflip dodge, running elbow smash, shoot-style kicks, diving headbutt, the Yes/No lock)

Kane (running corner clothesline, sidebuster, flying clothesline, Chokeslam)

The Undertaker (running corner bodysplash, snake eyes, running big boot, Chokeslam)

It's not a "you wouldn't do that in a real fight" thing. It's a "why even do that in a fake fight?" thing. It looks sloppy, and the move is forever ruined.

I suppose you could apply some "logic" to it. Let's say that the move was invented when KENTA caught his opponent in the fireman's carry position, threw the struggling opponent off his shoulders, and then instinctively went for a knee strike. Seeing how effective it was (in kayfabe), KENTA decided to use it as a signature move, with the awkward fireman's carry transition.

Or something like that.

Are there any standard spots that your favourites do that irritate you?

For example, I love Arn Anderson but I don't like it whenever he does the cartoony "drunk" punches into thin air. I can understand a guy like Terry Funk having that in his repetoire but with someone who is meant to be as cerebral as Arn, I've never thought it made sense for his character to do that spot.

Arn's matches are filled with comedy spots and bug eyed selling and pointing to his head to show how smart he is only to get knocked silly. Thats the gimmick he's a guy who's seself-definition is built around being a no-nonsense kind of guy constantly being forced into nonsense.

I find myself also not a fan of Arn's comedic selling. I understand the gimmick but it just doesn't sit well with me. That kind of selling suits Tully so much better. I always thought that no one else would be bothered by that as Arn is so great at everything else that he does.

I grew up a big Hulk Hogan fan but when the finishes of his matches became routine (Hulk up, three punches, big boot, legdrop), around 1988, I guess it really annoyed me as it just telegraphed the finish where as the legdrop would come at various points before that.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd one, but I always HATED Stone Cold Steve Austin's knee braces.

I know Austin's character was supposed to be professional in the ring at all times, so wearing over sized jeans or something would have taken a bit away from his character more so, but I don't know, something about "The Toughest SOB On The Planet" using one, and eventually two knee braces whenever in a match or doing something physical in a segment (usually sure sign that he wasn't going to do much physicality was when the braces were off) seems a bit odd for the character.

And don't get me started on the fact that the braces became part of Austin's look on his action figures!

Dropping a guy off your shoulders and catching him in the head/jaw on his way down with your knee sounds like a pretty hurty idea to me. Is it really more or less "logical" than a Rock Bottom, Attitude Adjustment. 619, etc? I don't have a problem with it personally. It works and it's over. Speaking of Punk, though, his flying elbow definitely isn't pretty. Not that I care about the "beauty" of a move, but he just looks awkward coming off the top with it, unlike say, Savage. Even Tests was way better. It just doesn't fit his arsenal, so it always feels like a poorly executed tribute move, which always stinks.