Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-24-WCW-Wrestle War '91] Big Van Vader vs Stan Hansen

Loss

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was good while it lasted, but I'm not sure why they had to cut them off so quickly. The crowd seemed willing to get behind Vader based on their reaction to his flying clothesline after the bell. The ref's performance really irritated me here. I mean, why the fuck did he need to get between them when they were slugging it out on their knees? The crowd really hated that as a set-up for the double DQ, and I can't see how it did anyone any good.

Highlight here for me is Ross getting almost legitimately pissed at the brawling surrounding him while at the same time Dusty is positively giddy. This is fun but it ends almost as soon as it really gets going. They were on their way to something really memorable, too. The crowd is way into Vader at the end of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hansen gets hit with a corner splash which knocks out his chew. The ref lets them get away with the outside the ring brawling which bothered Ross. These guys just aren’t going to give us a clean finish. Not as good as their Japan matches as more the shorter abbreviation of their brawls from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Was this something else or what? You don't often get brawls like this on American pay-per-view. They didn't even need blood to make this one intense, although it would have been nice if some blood had been allowed.

I think what annoyed JR wasn't the brawling outside so much as the fact that he was right in the middle of it. As he said on commentary, they don't pay him to be in the middle of matches like that. I can't blame him, really; one accidental shot from these guys and he's out of work for weeks if not months. Meanwhile, Dusty's only complaint is that they knocked over his cerveza.......er, water. (I'm fairly sure that "kielbasa" was a code word so that the Turner execs wouldn't know he was drinking on the air.)

I think the screwy finish was meant to protect both guys in Japan. After all, that was where they made their money, not here in the States. They could have stood to use a slightly bigger referee, though; Dusty was right in saying that Pee Wee Anderson looked like a child next to these two.

This wasn't nearly as good as their Tokyo Dome match, but it was a perfectly acceptable American substitute. I wonder if they tried to get Hansen back over here during Vader's World title run; those would have been some epic battles for sure.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-24-WCW-Wrestle War '91] Big Van Vader vs Stan Hansen
  • 1 year later...

The image of Stan Hansen pacing around the ring, whilst spitting chewing tobacco everywhere disgust me on a deep level.  These guys potato each other, but it's missing the flare that their famous NJPW brawl had as the crowd just aren't reacting to it. The referee throws this one out and rules it a double DQ and Vader and Hansen brawl to the back. This is a curiousity watch and nothing more. 

★★