Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-08-17-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts

Loss

• 3 months later...

The final vignette. Jake is taking Warrior to a coffin and Warrior makes clear (as much as he can make anything clear I guess) that he now trusts Jake. He ends up leading him into a room full of snakes. In order to get to the answer, Warrior has to open some box in the middle of the room. When he gets there, he gets bitten by a snake as Jake laughs, and the Undertaker and Paul Bearer show up. Jake makes clear at the end of this that he has turned heel. A really corny way to set up a really great run that I'm excited about revisiting. What a weird series of vignettes.

The snake that meets Warrior in the middle of the room is a cobra and bites Warrior in the face. Undertaker's appearance (complete with music) makes him very effective even though Warrior's ridiculous acting made "General Hospital" look like Shakespeare.

Honestly watching this now makes me even more upset that Jake wasn't the higher power in that Russo-riffic storyline of 1999 WWF.

• 1 month later...

Jake is great here, as usual, but the cheesy Black Scorpion music and rapid jump cuts are what really kill this. Not to mention Warrior's horrendous acting after getting bit. Pretty incredible that the snakebite here, and its effects, gets almost no play at all in contrast to what will happen to Savage.

• 2 weeks later...

Roberts locks Warrior in a room full of snakes. Warrior even kicks one of them. Some really cheesy acting by Warrior and the over the top camera angles WWF has been using a lot recently. Warrior gets bit by a snake and I think dies. Oh no! He busts through the door only to find Undertaker and Paul Bearer above him. Roberts tells Warrior to never trust a snake. Silly way to turn Roberts heel. Will have to see how this one continues.

• 3 months later...

I thought this whole Jake Roberts turn was interesting. Sure, it's cheesy, but I loved every second if this. I only wish they had waited to show this until after SummerSlam and the Warrior could have had a legit reason for his disappearance...

I also seem to remember a lot of rumors about the Warrior having died in real life and how the guy at WM8 was a different guy. I wonder if some people (i.e. kids) took this vignette too literally, because I don't remember ever seeing this before.

Truthfully, I found this to be some of the best stuff they did with the Warrior and would love to see how this had played out had he not left the company.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

The problem with many of these WWF vignettes of this era, for me anyway, where all these POV shots were coming from.

This one was rather Plan 9-esque. You'll notice when Warrior collapses the door that none of the dozen snakes in this shack come slithering out. Nor are they moving or can be seen for that matter.

The neon cowboy boots with shorts look deserves some sort of punishment. Snake bites may be a little excessive for that one, but hey, I wont argue it.

• 8 months later...

Knowing how this all played out in real life negates this for me, as does knowing that they had Warrior existing on two totally different, unrelated levels during this time. The Warrior who was going through all of this had nothing to do with the Warrior who was teaming with Hogan against Sarge and company at SummerSlam.

Something Rock said up above clicked in my head, though: I wonder if these vignettes had been originally conceived to air after SummerSlam and were pushed up due to the contract problems Vince and Warrior were having. This would mean that the angle at Savage's wedding reception would have been planned almost literally at the last moment, which would fit with the idea that Randy was a replacement for Warrior in the feud with Jake and Taker. I wonder how the main event would have played out if Warrior was confirmed to be staying; we know Hogan had his issue with Taker coming soon, so I wonder if the original plans for the fall were something like Flair/Piper, Warrior/Jake, and Hogan/Taker, with Hogan/Flair being held in reserve for Mania VIII at the Hoosier Dome.

(No matter what's been said or reported about Sid being guaranteed a Mania main event over the years, I believe that Hogan/Flair was the first plan for the Mania VIII top spot. Sid could have been bought off or simply allowed to go back to Turner if Vince had decided to go with that match, which of course he didn't. I also think Vince was quite capable of promising people things he had zero intention of delivering. What he said to get Sid to sign and what he was actually planning to do with him at first might have been two completely different things. It's more than possible that only after Hogan/Flair tanked in the fall of '91 did Vince "remember" his promise to Sid and put him against Hogan at Mania VIII in one half of the main event.)

• 7 months later...

Something Rock said up above clicked in my head, though: I wonder if these vignettes had been originally conceived to air after SummerSlam and were pushed up due to the contract problems Vince and Warrior were having. This would mean that the angle at Savage's wedding reception would have been planned almost literally at the last moment, which would fit with the idea that Randy was a replacement for Warrior in the feud with Jake and Taker. I wonder how the main event would have played out if Warrior was confirmed to be staying; we know Hogan had his issue with Taker coming soon, so I wonder if the original plans for the fall were something like Flair/Piper, Warrior/Jake, and Hogan/Taker, with Hogan/Flair being held in reserve for Mania VIII at the Hoosier Dome.

In reading some old Observers, that aspect was definitely true - Warrior was scheduled to keep going with Undertaker and headline shows in the fall until he left at Summerslam.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-08-17-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts