Pro Wrestling Only

Sid

MikeCampbell

The two promos of his on the 1992 yearbook blew me away, especially the second one he cut on Warrior, which makes me wonder if he's almost been tainted by the 'half the brain' promo from WCW. Not that long ago I watched Halloween Havoc '90, and Sid put on a pretty good performance in the main event, much better than Sting.

He's got half the brain you do (I know, I know, but this has to be my favourite fucked up promo ever).

Sometime you watch a Sid sqaush match and you think he's a lot of fun. Sometime you watch a Sid promo you think think he's a lot of fun. Then you see an actual watch and you're reminded that he was inept at playing his role. He was a funny big man stupid bumped tough. But yeah, Sid sucked. He sure had the aura, until he started working. And then he looked like a gigantic tool. Revisiting Sid during my WCW watch hasn't changed my views on him one bit. He sucks. But he's fun at sucking indeed (which makes him way superior to Jimmy Golden, who is fun at nothing, for instance).

No need but this must be a cultural issue because Bunkhouse Buck was pretty awesome watching him against Dustin and I remember loving the Golden/Fuller team in Memphis.

No cultural issue at all. I suffered through the immense boredom of Jimmy Golden in SMW where he showed me nothing but dullness and mediocrity, the I just suffered through Jimmy Golden in WCW where he was even worse to me because he was featured more proeminently and dragged Dustin Rhodes down with him (oh yeah, they had one fun brawl in a 10 months feud). Jimmy Golden makes Mike Rotunda looks like Terry Funk.

(meanwhile, I love Tony Anthony, Dick Murdoch, Tracey Smothers, Buddy Landell and shitloads of deeply southern wrestlers so I don't see the point of cultural issue here. Golden is just not very good and very very boring)

I just want to state, once again, for the record, that I HATE that Bunkhouse Buck - Dustin match on the back of the lorry. I remember Schnieder put it on one of his comps and I PMed him specifically to ask him what the fuck he was doing.

As for Sid, I think he was pretty good in the Hogan feud in 92. Best thing about him though is the music from the old WWF Steel Cage challenge NES game:

YEAH!

New poster, long time lurker very happy to be able to join.

My favorite Sid story is a house show in Auburn MA he did two years ago. Can't remember the opponent but he was doing a Nazi esque Kurgan gimmick and managed by John Cena Sr. Sitting front row I actually heard Sid say loudly at the start of the match "No powerbomb, I don't feel like working tonight". And never were truer words spoken. Not one bump from Sid and his entire offense

in a seven minute match consisted of the "you chinlock me, I fire three elbows into you to break it up" spot and the rollup he won with. No chokeslam, big boot, legdrop, not even a bodyslam or clothesline not even a punch for cripes sakes. It was legit the laziest performance I've ever seen from anyone and probably the worst as well. This was of course after making a ton in a busy busy line of autographs that stayed busy throughout the show.

Regarding Sid's 98-00 work, I always had the sense that he was trying very hard, but that whatever he was doing was not pro wrestling. He didn't quite understand the rules. Maybe he learned from a correspondence course. It was sort of like having a very talented athlete be taken off the bench in the middle of a football game and think that he was playing, I don't know, softball instead.