• Georgia
    • All Japan
    • New Japan
    • Southwest
    • Mexico
    • Freelance
    • Stampede
    • International

Dylan, there does seem to be late 70s Florida stuff out there. There are several rather massive packs (no seeders) on XTC with I'd say over 100 matches from that period. No one has ever uploaded it to youtube, but there is some stuff there.

This is an 80's tourney no? If not Wiskowski needs to be added to Portland and Billy Jack dropped. There is a fair amount of 80's Florida out there from what I hear but it's not well circulated. There is stuff like Windham v. Jaggers which I have and really like but I'm not sure it's ever been online and doubt very many people have ever seen it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the era is 1980 to 1984 and the criteria is the top 4 guys not necessarily the top 4 workers then New Japan should be Inoki, Fujinami, Choshu and Tiger Mask.

For Europe I would consider Big Daddy, either Bridges or St. Clair, maybe Pat Roach, Marty Jones, Rocco and Saint, but that's ignoring a couple of weight classes and the whole of Germany.

Lucha is super tough. I guess I'd consider Perro Aguayo, Villano III, Canek, Dos Caras, Fishman, Lizmark, Sangre Chicana, the Misionares, Satanico.

Thanks for the link. I think the freelance category is essential as there will be key guys left off if we dont have it. I'm still debating about how the torunament should work and this is very much open for discussion. Should it be a total of 64 guys, 4 from each territory and that have it be an every man for himself tournament with 4 smaller brackets, Funk, Lawler, Flair, and Hogan topping each bracket. Or should it be a territory vs. territory bracket? I'm leaning towards every man for himself but that is entirely open

If the era is 1980 to 1984 and the criteria is the top 4 guys not necessarily the top 4 workers then New Japan should be Inoki, Fujinami, Choshu and Tiger Mask.

For Europe I would consider Big Daddy, either Bridges or St. Clair, maybe Pat Roach, Marty Jones, Rocco and Saint, but that's ignoring a couple of weight classes and the whole of Germany.

Lucha is super tough. I guess I'd consider Perro Aguayo, Villano III, Canek, Dos Caras, Fishman, Lizmark, Sangre Chicana, the Misionares, Satanico.

We can go 80-84 or 85 either is cool but 84 is the start of the expansion so that would probably work better.

I would say top 4 overall guys. It might be a little easier that way and give people a better idea of who were the major faces of the territories. Workers could get very complicated as there could be cases made for a lot of people but thats just my opinion and if more people disagree we can change it

So how would this poll work out then? Should the poll be changed to about 7 or 8 of the disputed territories and have the other 8 automatically qualify? It looks like you can only vote once and i dont know that we could get 16 votes. I guess a moderator would have to help fix that?

I think there are a few territories that are not disputed, so let's say they are 100% in:

1. WWF

2. Crockett

3. AWA

4. New Japan

5. All Japan

6. Mid-South

7. Memphis

8. Portland

9. Georgia

10. World Class

11. "Freelance"

12. Montreal

13. Europe

14. Mexico (assuming this is not disputed)

That leaves 2 from 6:

- Continental

- Central States

- South West

- Stampede

- Puerto Rico

- Florida

Why not split these up into two "first past the post" polls of 3.

1 of Continental, Central States and South West slugging it out to represent another Southern USA territority

1 of Stampede, Puerto Rico and Florida to take the final spot

Agreed?

No I meant make two different polls each with those three options in, and the two winning promotions get their 4 top four guys in the tourney.

The OTHER way to do it would be to take ANY 8 guys from those 6 promotions as wild cards. So Colon might be the only person from Puerto Rico represented. In a way, I kinda prefer that idea because it'll make for a stronger field.

I really would prefer to see Tully in for Crockett than for South West though, especially if 85 is included.

One way you could set up the brackets is to begin with essentially 16 mini-tournaments--a 4 man WWF tournament, 4 man AWA tournament, 4 man Crockett tournament, etc., until you have a "Final 16", with each territory having one representative in the main tounament. This would guarantee no one or two territories dominate the whole tournament. If you want to get really ambitious, the individual territory tournaments could be made up of 16 guys as well ("The First 16") and we could have a 256 man mega-territory tournament! Of course, it would probably be tough to come up with 16 names for places like Central States, Stampede, etc.

And I'll just say this: some of the absolute worst wrestling I've ever seen was a disc of 86-87 era Central States. I'm sure the area had better days, but that stuff was really shitty.

Ok I definitely like the idea of sub tournaments to create a 16 man territory best of the best. Maybe we could do a top 8 for each territory and go from there. Should I open a new thread for each territory? This way every territory is fairly represented. I think we'll do the two separate misc territories too unless we can come to a conclusion on 16