Pro Wrestling Only

Recommendations for 20 Crockett TV matches to watch

JerryvonKramer

For the podcast we are planning to do an end-of-decade awards special to go through matches we've liked, rank workers, and so on. However, we have only been watching supercards, tv specials and Clash shows, and Crockett is a territory with a wealth of matches that took place on TV. Once we are the other side of Starrcade 89, and before Clash 10, we want to do a special show in which we look at about 20 notable matches that took place on TV in the period from 1983 to 1989. This is the last chance for assessments of certain guys to change before we finalise the awards.

Help us come up with a list of stuff to watch. I've an idea I want to see more Slaughter in Crockett from 83. The long Midnight Express vs. Orginal Midnight Express TV match will be something else we'll need to see and some of the Windham matches. Looking for important stuff like that which will fill in some gaps. But this can't be much more than 20 matches, 25 max I'd say. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These would be my picks. I tried to shoot for a combination of best matches and matches that are good demonstrations of what was going on in the company at the time. I will go back and look up specific dates if you have trouble. I did this from memory.

Ric Flair vs Harley Race (8/17/83 - This is the actual date, not the air date. But it's the full match that led to the Flair injury on the Flair DVD that set up Starrcade)

Rock & Roll Express vs Ivan Koloff & Krusher Kruschev (07/09/85 - Can't remember the exact air date, but that's the actual date)

Tully Blanchard vs Ron Garvin (Worldwide 05/03/86)

Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (Pro 05/86 - First 15 minutes of match before shows goes off the air)

Rock & Roll Express vs Rick Rude & Manny Fernandez (WCW 12/86 - Title change)

Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff - Whatever Best of 7 complete is out there

Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (Worldwide 01/24/87)

Midnight Express vs Barry Windham & Ron Garvin (WCW 05/87 - Finals of US tag title tournament)

Ric Flair & Lex Luger vs Ron & Jimmy Garvin (Sometime that summer on WCW)

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (Worldwide 09/25/87 - Title change, this date is off the top of my head and may not be right)

Barry Windham vs Tully Blanchard (WCW 01/23/88)

Midnight Express vs Fantastics (Pro 03/26/88)

Midnight Express vs Fantastics (Worldwide 05/14/88 - There are multiple versions of this out there, but there is one that aired in some markets that is fairly close to complete. And this match goes something like 50 minutes.)

Ric Flair vs Sting (Don't remember exact dates, but they had a couple in early '88 worth checking to see what they did prior to Clash I)

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs Lex Luger, Barry Windham & Sting (Main Event 04/03/88)

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs Lex Luger & Barry Windham (Main Event 04/24/88 - Windham turn)

Barry Windham vs Eddie Gilbert (WCW 12/31/88)

Ric Flair & Barry Windham vs Ricky Steamboat & Eddie Gilbert (WCW 01/21/89)

Thanks a lot for this Loss. I think because this is mainly for awards purposes, we could shoot for the 20 *best* matches. Brian filled in a lot of detail for angles and things on those early shows so we were aware of ongoing angles and things even if we didn't watch the TV.

I am insanely excited for the prospect of Tully vs. Ron Garvin. I can say this right now that Garvin is in contention for a top 3 slot for best workers, and that's the sort of thing that might tip it for him.

Feel free to mention any hidden gems or personal picks.

A few matches that are worth looking at .

The Rock N Roll vs. Tully and Arn No DQ match from 9/87. They get a lot of time here.

Sting vs. Muta from 9/11/89 they get more time here than they did at the Bash.

Flair vs. Muta 11/25/89 from Saturday night. They get 15+ minutes to show what they can do against one another.

No, I am talking about this match Johnny and it is the title change ....

Rock N Roll Express vs. Ragin' & Ravishin' (TV 12/6/86)

- Damn, I would have loved a singles match between Morton and Manny. Early on, Fernandez gets frustrated by the RNR. After an extended RNR shine section, the heels work over Gibson's leg including a nice off the top rope knee from Manny Fernandez. Rude's leg work wasn't really inspired but it was great to see Robert give Rude a backdrop and collapse because of the weakened leg. Next up, after working over Robert's leg, they work over Ricky's arm. After an extended FIP, Gibson comes in and lights up Ragin' Bull. Gibson gets a roll-up but Rude gives him a vicious clotheline that whips Manny on top to give Ragin' & Ravishin' the pin and the titles. You really didn't get too many matches like this on free studio TV back in the day. The weakest point was Rude's offense or lack thereof as you could tell he was still findiing his way but the other three more than made up for it. Nomination.

OH!

Tully Blanchard vs Don Kernodle (Worldwide 05/11/85)

Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (WCW Sunday Edition 08/11/85 - Easily their best match)

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (WCW 12/28/85)

Ole Anderson vs Magnum TA (WCW 12/28/85)

Flair/Arn/Ole vs Dusty/Magnum/Manny (Worldwide 12/21/85)

If you're up for including JCP matches that only aired on World Pro Japan, you should also check out:

Ric Flair vs Magnum TA (Philly 02/01/86)

Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express (04/12/86 - Arguably their best match against each other)

And only aired on the Houston Wrestling TV when Paul Boesch was promoting cards, but:

Flair/Arn/Windham vs Luger/Doc/Nikita (06/10/88)

Not a TV match, but I would still recommend the raw footage of the Flair vs Steamboat match from 03/18 at the Capital Centre. And if you watch this, I'd also watch the MX vs Rock & Rolls match shoe recommended.

I'm pretty sure Flair/Arn vs Garvin/Rhodes only went about five minutes.

It probably is, it was only a TV match, but I just remember the heat being unreal and David Crockett losing his mind during the match. Looking back probably not the best choice just really enjoy the match. I second the Cap Centre match between Flair and Steamboat...

Working list here.

1. Ric Flair vs Harley Race (8/17/83)

2. Rock & Roll Express vs Ivan Koloff & Krusher Kruschev (07/09/85)

3. Tully Blanchard vs Ron Garvin (Worldwide 05/03/86)

4. Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton (Pro 05/86)

5. Rock & Roll Express vs Rick Rude & Manny Fernandez (WCW 12/86)

6. Ric Flair vs Barry Windham (Worldwide 01/24/87)

7. Midnight Express vs Barry Windham & Ron Garvin (WCW 05/87 - Finals of US tag title tournament)

8. Ric Flair & Lex Luger vs Ron & Jimmy Garvin (summer 87)

9. Rock & Roll Express vs. Arn and Tully (9/87)

10. Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (Worldwide 09/25/87)

11. Barry Windham vs Tully Blanchard (WCW 01/23/88)

12. Midnight Express vs Fantastics (Pro 03/26/88)

13. Midnight Express vs Fantastics (Worldwide 05/14/88)

14. Ric Flair vs Sting (early 88)

15. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs Lex Luger, Barry Windham & Sting (Main Event 04/03/88)

16. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs Lex Luger & Barry Windham (Main Event 04/24/88 - Windham turn)

17. Barry Windham vs Eddie Gilbert (WCW 12/31/88)

18. Ric Flair & Barry Windham vs Ricky Steamboat & Eddie Gilbert (WCW 01/21/89)

19. Sting vs. Muta (9/11/89)

20. Flair vs. Muta (11/25/89)

---

21. Flair and Arn Vs Garvin and Rhodes (2/22/86)

22. Tully Blanchard vs Don Kernodle (Worldwide 05/11/85)

23. Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff (WCW Sunday Edition 08/11/85 - Easily their best match)

24. Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (WCW 12/28/85)

25. Ole Anderson vs Magnum TA (WCW 12/28/85)

26. Flair/Arn/Ole vs Dusty/Magnum/Manny (Worldwide 12/21/85)

27. Windham vs. Tully (4/10/88)

I'm also interested in personally:

28. Dick Murdoch vs. Nikita Koloff (1/16/88)

1. Because Meltzer raves about it, 2. because it's held up as an example of how Murdoch is a great and 3. because honestly there is no one in the world I like less than Koloff in 88 and it's hard for me to believe he had a good match.

----

We're going to have to consult on which of these we will watch. Doing more than 20 will result in something like a 6-hour show, which I don't have the stamina for.

Definitely want a better look at Windham because he's been disappointing on the big shows.

Definitely want to see more Tully because he's in possible contention for #1 spot.

Definitely want to see more MX vs. Fantastics because I don't think we got the best of that feud on PPV.

Interested in the RnR vs. Russians match because Ivan's MO is playing a heel in peril and either he or Morton will be forced to do something different there.

Also, I just LOVE studio wrestling.

Maybe we bump it up to 30 and do a two-parter. 15 matches each way.

We may stumble on footage issues. I have Will's Horsemen set but stuff seems to be disappearing from youtube all the time. The NWA packs on XWT Classics tend to be gigantic. Should be alright hopefully.

Finally:

Are there any other Crockett Sgt. Slaughter matches out there that wouldn't look out of place on a list like this? He's a one-match wonder at present.

• 3 months later...