Pro Wrestling Only

Top Ten Canadian All Time

Grimmas

So, this was a pretty nice thread for the US workers and I thought it would be interesting for the Canadians as well.

I think Bret Hart, Ivan Koloff, Rick Martel and Chris Benoit are pretty easy on the list. However, who are the other six? Owen Hart, Chris Jericho, Steve Corino, Roddy Piper, Abdullah the Butcher, Christian, Killer Kowalski, Pat Patterson, Gene Kiniski, Mad Dog Vachon?

Some of these guys have a real lack of footage. This seems harder to make a definitive list than the US.

I don't like Kroffat, I was just throwing the name out there.

That's what I thought.

I would guess Raymond Rougeau should get in the discussion somewhere.

Ray was really good in Montreal, to the point where if he worked like that everywhere and we had more footage we'd be talking about him as an equal of Martel.

Dan Kroffat

Now that's surprising. I though you hated Kroffat.

But yeah, Kroffat would be in my top 10 for sure.

I'm guessing you guys mean Phil LaFon and not the 1970s Stampede babyface with the same name.

Too bad there is next to no footage of John Tolos in his prime to judge how good he was as a heel.

I have not been bowled over by Vachon so far on the AWA set, although I understand that's him old and towards the end.

I am going to move towards a top 10 from my point of view (work):

1. Bret Hart

2. Chris Benoit

3. Rick Martel

4. Ronnie Garvin

5. Owen Hart

6. Ivan Koloff

7. Chris Jericho

8. Roddy Piper

9. John Tenta

10. Dan Kroffat

(Total package)

1. Roddy Piper

2. Bret Hart

3. Chris Jericho

4. Ronnie Garvin

5. Rick Martel

6. John Tenta

7. Ivan Koloff

8. Owen Hart

9. Christian

10. Abdullah the Butcher

Need to see more Pat Patterson, Vachon and pre-WWF Dino Bravo.

Gene Kiniski is the worst guest ref of all time.

I have not been bowled over by Vachon so far on the AWA set, although I understand that's him old and towards the end.

Need to see more Pat Patterson, Vachon and pre-WWF Dino Bravo.

Gene Kiniski is the worst guest ref of all time.

Watch the Rick Martel-Boris Zurkov cage match from Winnipeg and check out John Ferguson (former NHL hockey goon) as the guest referee, then get back to me about Kiniski. :)

There is probably enough Bravo footage to check out that will help your assessment from the "work" standpoint, but probably not enough of Vachons. Depends on how much you think you need to see of his 50's-70's work. There is some, but not a ton. Mad Dog is such an Icon in Canada that to me the list just seems wrong without him on it.

If you didn't grow up around the Canadian wrestling culture, you might not feel the same way, which is understandable.

I'm not sure how much Patterson is out there pre-WWF 79, off the top of my head.

If we're basing this on being a total package (ring work, charisma, box office appeal, interviews, etc)

Roddy Piper would be at the top of my list.

Gene Kiniski and Don Leo Jonathan were both All Time greats and Kiniski was one of the better NWA champs

of the modern era.

Pat Patterson would make the top 10 list of workers in the 70's due to his success in the AWA, SF for Shires

and WWWF at the end of the decade.

Least we forget the warm comments of Bret Hart toward Archie Gouldie "The Mongolian Stomper" who Bret

christened the greatest Canadien star much to the dismay of Pat Patterson on a recent "Legends Roundtable" show.

After rewatching some of those Mad Dog matches last night, I'm going to flip and put him in there in the total package list at 3. and bump everyone else down. That's right, I'm saying I'd take the hour or so of Mad Dog I've seen over Chris Jericho's entire career, and I like Jericho. I may reverse that at a later date when I re-watch his WCW stuff, but it's a reflection of what I think right now.

Whipper Watson is a guy that really suffers from lack of footage. Dude's a king around these parts, was popular enough to run for provincial office under a major ticket and has a school named after him. All the really old-timers swear he was king shit.

Carpentier suffers from the same problem I would think.

Whipper Watson is a guy that really suffers from lack of footage. Dude's a king around these parts, was popular enough to run for provincial office under a major ticket and has a school named after him. All the really old-timers swear he was king shit.

Carpentier suffers from the same problem I would think.

I think Carpentier was born in France, which, if true, DQ's him by definition.

On Watson, you are bang-on. Older folks that watched wrestling in his time frame will tell you he was the best "when it wasn't all bullshit", as they are fond to say. It's probably the ultimate compliment that can be paid by that set, if you think about it.