Pro Wrestling Only

The Road to Wrestlemania

goodhelmet

I was reading the current Observer and Meltzer discusses the current plans for Mania and I thought now was as good of a time as any to break off Wrestlemania discussion from the Current WWE thread. So much speculation. So many wrestlers with no clear plan. So many bad storylines.

Anyway, according to Meltzer, this is what we have on the ticket to far...

The Rock vs. John Cena

HHH vs. Brock Lesnar

Jack Swagger vs. Alberto Del Rio

CM Punk vs. Undertaker

So, still waiting for plans for Mark Henry, Sheamus, Jericho, Ryback, the Shield, etc.

Lets keep the fantasy booking and Wrestlemania complaining in this thread.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had interest in watching Rock come back last year. I was not disapointed and enjoyed the match a lot. Needless to say the idea of having a John Cena big celebration this year is not as appealing to me, especially after all I heard about Rocky looking about ready to explode.

Lesnar vs HHH I could care less, since anything about HHH I could care less, although it can't be as horrific as his match last year with Taker.

CM Punk vs Taker... mmm... I've been tired of the streak about 5 or 6 years ago, and Taker hasn't look good for the past three years. The only great thing he was involved with was the *awesome* Johnny Cash introduction a few years ago. So yeah, kinda curious to see that match still because of CM Punk, but not getting my hopes up.

Swagger vs Del Rio, whatever.

No interest in the undercard, although if Henry and Jericho get a good opponent it might be fun to see.

So there will be my yearly WWE moment, but as much as I was looking forward to it last year because of the Rock, I'm not that much interested this year despite Lesnar.

Biggest pop of the night should be Bruno.

I feel like Punk will actually be a good opponent for Taker as his offense doesn't require a significant amount of bumping: Punk can bounce off him with strikes and flying moves and then bump big for Taker's schtick. The only bad thing is that the result isn't even in the slightest bit of doubt, which will suck a lot of the suspense and heat out of it.

That is if it happens at all - they still haven't dropped any hints on television and I still think there is an outside chance they will use Taker as part of a team against The Shield. Storyline is easy enough, with the heels wanting to make a name for themselves and UT wanting to put the upstarts in their place, and the match itself will be easier on his body than a big singles match.

I posted in the other thread I'd rather they had blown Cena/Punk off at Wrestlemania. It's been the central feud for a couple of years and deserves a big definitive finish, and plus you have the added security that it will be a great match with a good crowd reaction. Doing Rock/Cena for the second year in a row isn't at all interesting because:

- They are guys who aren't really going to change it up much, so it will be very similar to the first match

- Everyone knows Cena is getting his win back so there is little interest in the finish

They could have easily held off another year for Rock/Cena II. The Rock could have been better used getting Orton fresh again, or in a new match with Ryback, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, even someone like Ziggler. You might as well get as many new matches out of him while you can, who knows how much longer he will be around.

John Cena v CM Punk

The Rock v Randy Orton

Triple-H v Brock Lesnar

The Shield v Sheamus/Ryback/Undertaker

Jack Swagger v Alberto del Rio

Chris Jericho v Dolph Ziggler

Big Show/Mark Henry v Team Hell No

That's how I'd have booked the card given the situation they are in.

Shield vs. Orton/Sheamus/Big Show seems pretty fun to me if they go that route.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Ryback vs. Henry match.

That leaves people like Jericho, Ziggler, Cesaro, Miz, Hell No without stuff to do so they need to be developing that up.

I still have problems with the upper portion of the card but its tough to complain when this show has already grossed 11 million.

This is the card I would like the most this I believe. Might be forgetting someone. The Rock match was the hardest one to choose. Big Show arguably deserves the match. Ziggler could use it as well but it would take more work to have a shot of it being believable in time.

Cena vs Undertaker

The Rock vs CM Punk

Henry vs Del Rio (with it known ahead of time that Ziggler is cashing in after. Langston gets Henry disqualified once Del Rio and Henry are adequately worn down for it to make sense)

Sheamus vs Lesnar

Antonio Cesaro vs Christian

Ambrose vs Orton

Rollins and Reigns vs Team Hell No

Jericho vs Wade Barrett

Ryback vs Big Show

This is the card I would like the most this I believe. Might be forgetting someone. The Rock match was the hardest one to choose. Big Show arguably deserves the match. Ziggler could use it as well but it would take more work to have a shot of it being believable in time.

Cena vs Undertaker

The Rock vs CM Punk

Henry vs Del Rio (with it known ahead of time that Ziggler is cashing in after. Langston gets Henry disqualified once Del Rio and Henry are adequately worn down for it to make sense)

Sheamus vs Lesnar

Antonio Cesaro vs Christian

Ambrose vs Orton

Rollins and Reigns vs Team Hell No

Jericho vs Wade Barrett

Ryback vs Big Show

Eh I guess you're fantasy re-booking but Cena/Rock II & Brock/Triple H II are set in stone after the last Raw barring some freak UFC-like injury during training. Also after SD Swagger/Del Rio is still a go. Also The Observer is reporting Jericho/Henry(really like that) & Barrett/Sheamus for the IC strap(never saw their Raw matches but heard good things, don't like perrenial World champs like Sheamus going after midcard titles though). So:

WWE Title: The Rock© vs. John Cena II(how great would a Shield run in Triple powerbomb on The Rock scoring the win for Cena be. With Cena putting on the SWAT vest & being the leader of them. Will never happen but I'd like it. Monster heel Cena for a year leading to Cena/Taker @ Mania 30?)

WHC: Alberto Del Rio© vs. Jack Swagger

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H(Hell in a Cell? Last Man Standing? Doubt it's just 1-on-1.)

The Undertaker vs. CM Punk (I bet the crowd turns Punk back into a face.)

Mark Henry vs. Chris Jericho

Sheamus vs. Ryback (wasn't this hinted to @ a Raw?)

The Shield vs. Randy Orton & Big Show(garbage match please)

US Title: Cesaro vs. Miz

Eh I guess you're fantasy re-booking but Cena/Rock II & Brock/Triple H II are set in stone after the last Raw barring some freak UFC-like injury during training. Also after SD Swagger/Del Rio is still a go. Also The Observer is reporting Jericho/Henry(really like that)

Yeah it was a waste of time but just felt like going over what they have that I do want to see. Looks like the plan with Henry might have changed. Meltzer on the LAW last night said Henry vs Sheamus is the direction they are going. I can get behind that match for sure. It was actually something they seemed to be building towards when Henry was champion since the short lived feud they had seemed to end with a draw. Loved when Sheamus came out and ended up slapping Henry in the face. You literally could see jaws drop in the crowd.

A fatal fourway? Is this really how they're deciding who faces Undertaker?

Since the streak has been a thing, is this the lamest way they've gotten into it?

Well that is what happens when someone only wrestles once a year. You can't really build feud. Although I figure that the Shield will help Punk win and the other 3 guys will face the Shield at WM

By the way, Ryback vs Mark Henry? YES PLEASE :D

A fatal fourway? Is this really how they're deciding who faces Undertaker?

Since the streak has been a thing, is this the lamest way they've gotten into it?

That's really some of the weakest booking I recall them doing. I really hope this is the last year Taker wrestles.

Predictability is not in and of itself bad. It's more that the build to everything on this show has been pretty bland and uninteresting. There is no juice whatsoever behind anything on the show, and nothing scheduled for the show feels like a new, fresh match that people are dying to see. Rock vs Cena II feels like a huge miscalculation to me, as I don't think there is any interest in seeing these guys feud for a third straight year.

I'm kind of hoping the buyrate is way down off last year just so maybe they'll stop coasting so much.

Same here. I hate to wish ill upon all their paydays but I am doing just that. I love The Rock, & it's cool that in 2013 we actually have 2 guys in WWE that can be defined as draws(Rocky & brock) instead of just the WWE name. Now of course WM sells out, no matter the prices(which are getting truly disgustingly high) even without any card. I'm actually looking forward to Cena/Rock II & Brock/H II because I think all 4 guys are going to go all out to steaal the show(egos).

Even though the Fourway to determine Taker's opponent was stupid, I am definitely looking forward to that match most of all @ Mania because just like the other 2/3's of the triple main event these two have giant egos & I say these two guys have the best track record of good Mania matches. The way we get to Mania is pretty weak, but the card is solid.

Now does anyone really want Henry/Ryback over Henry/Jericho? If Henry/Jericho pops up that becomes my #1 most wanted match. I think Sheamus/Ryback is a better idea, first off to gauge who the fans prefer as a face more(like Bret/Lex in '94). But then the Shield lose out, but I'd still rather see them against Hell No for the tag belts

I'm looking forward to Henry/Ryback if they do it. Ryback/Jericho means another tired Jericho heel turn that no one ones to see I would hope. I also might be the only one looking forward to HHH/Lesnar.

Why Mark is a heel? I just say it cuz it was reported to be in the works & I like the matchup. I loved H/Brock I myself I though it was ****+. The divryticulitis(?sp? My dad has is it bad & it is painful on the gut) psychology was great & I liked the ending of Lesnar popping up like Jason voorhees to take him out.

So based on Raw would we say Henry is working with Ryback and Shield with Orton, Sheamus and Big Show?

If that's the case I'd say the guys who definitely make the show but aren't yet accounted for are: Jericho, Miz, Dolph, Kane, Bryan, Cesaro with Barrett, Kofi, Truth, Sandow, Cody on the outskirts, could go either way.

Jericho vs. Miz and some three or four way tag with Kane/DB defending against the rest, presumably?!

With Rock-Cena, HHH-Brock and Taker-Punk, it feels like WWE is really going to the next level of taking the safe route in more ways than one.

I'll still watch the show, but count me in the group that feels it's very blah. Still a few weeks to go, but the main appeal for me is if the New York weather gets so cold that everyone will be wrestling in track suits or jeans or hoodies that will sure to be unlockable content in WWE 2K14.

Maybe it is because I am going to Wrestlemania now and trying to hype myself up but I thought last night was by far the best job they have done at getting me excited about the card.

Punk justification that the streak is as important as main eventing will end up being a hollow statement but makes sense froma logic standpoint.

I also don't know if I have liked a John Cena promo more than the one last night in probably a few years. I could have done without the Tyson impression but other than that it was spot on.