Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wwe/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-the-crockett-diaries-jim-cornette/#.VBGlfRaGf_k

The first in a series of shoots on Jim Crockett promotions-told by the men who lived it. Cornette dives into JCP history, the legendary tag teams, the fall out of Jim Sr. 's death, the rise of Ric Flair, George Scott's run as booker, Dusty run as the head of creative, then covers the Midnight Express' rocketship to fame, his famous scaffold bump and much more!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the new Chris Daniels RF Video shoot interview in which Chris calmly and brutally buries Russo. In short, he tells a story where Russo said to Daniels in front of the locker room "We released you because you wasn't over". Chris explains several situations where Russo's booking made him look like a fool and rationalised that there was never an instance where he was booked strongly and dropped the ball on his end.

However you want to look at it, Credible still has name value from his stint with WWE.

I certainly agree regarding KC, and haven't thought any of their recent stuff that I've seen has been that good. They had a great concept with The History of WWE Timelines, then expanded onto the ECW and WCW ones. I don't know if this was to get in first before Highspots stole the idea, something they've done on more than one occasion (I've not seen them but the Crockett Diaries idea sounds very similar) or what. Maybe the whole shoot interview is just passe now and has had it's day? KC certainly revolutionized the genre with You Shoots, Guest Bookers etc but very few of their releases interest me any more.

Does anyone know why Tom Zenk never did one. I've been listening to those old Observer eyada shows and he's all over those. He's a great story teller and seems like he could've been in the Raven/Honky role of doing numerous ones for the various companies. Did he just completely cut all ties with wrestling?

Didn't he get in trouble with WWE at some point when he was posting really harsh stuff about Trip & Stephy on his website or something ? He was very active and bitter (and hilarious at times) for a while and then all of a sudden just stopped talking about WWE (or anything current) altogether.

Corino wasn't there until February or March of '99 - he'd certainly have been more entertaining for 2000 than Justin, but c'est la vie.

I'm actually interested in Van Dam - he's a fresh subject (I don't think he's done a shoot since '97) and might have some good perspective on the booking in 1999. He's certainly a more interesting choice than New Jack.

Francine would be pretty fantastic for '96, actually. She was involved in the top angle in the back half of the year.

Bubba could work if he was already getting involved in office work then. Actually thought he'd be really good for '98, since he was a top guy that year and was very involved with promoting shows then.

Didn't he get in trouble with WWE at some point when he was posting really harsh stuff about Trip & Stephy on his website or something ? He was very active and bitter (and hilarious at times) for a while and then all of a sudden just stopped talking about WWE (or anything current) altogether.

I think it was something like that. Has he posted or done anything online in the last 10+ years? I do remember (within the last few years) a promoter on a wrestling convention board talking about getting in touch with Zenk and possibly booking him (most shoots are taped during convention weekends, one leads to another), and Zenk either cursed him out and/or asked for way more $$$ than his worth.