Pro Wrestling Only

CHIKARA

rovert

The following statement was issued to PWInsider.com this morning:

"Some people have been attempting to distract from what happened on Sunday's iPPV by circulating rumors about an affair, a bitter divorce, or a dispute over the ownership of CHIKARA. All of these rumors are absolutely false."

A previous statement issued to PWInsider.com from CHIKARA's promotional end late last night claimed the promotion was liquidating its merchandise and that it would be selling off whatever physical assets (production material, etc.) off.

The idea fronted by the release was that the promotion had been struggling since their Joshimania events did not do well and they had been running in the red since late 2011. The implication was that the "parent company" had pulled the plug - literally, given the end of the show Sunday - on the promotion.

The statement claimed that all agreements with "third party vendors", such as their DVD deal with Smart Mark Video, would be honored through the end of 2013.

The canceled 7/21 date in NYC is now being filled by Kaiju Big Battel. Several of the CHIKARA "Wrestling Is..." sister promotions have already announced other dates that were formerly announced for CHIKARA as well.

As we move further down the rabbit hole, it certainly appears to be a completely massive angle, although what the end game on an angle that shuts down your company and potentially dilutes the brand name by splitting it across seven sister promotions remains to be seen.

My head is spinning. Some rumours confirmed, some not or just a very elaborate work.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sad that no one else wants to come up with Chikara characters based on Dylan.

Fuck it. If no one else wants to create a tag team consisting of Rainy Day Woman #12 and Rainy Day Woman #35, I will.

The Joshimania bit is a clear lie, since I had multiple people in the know tell me those shows were considered shockingly successful at the time. Quack is hurting for money because his big revenue pool for fly ins and expansion isn't there anymore. So he is now going the route of satellite feds with branding. That was the whole purpose behind NPWD as well.

The Joshimania bit is a clear lie, since I had multiple people in the know tell me those shows were considered shockingly successful at the time.

Now and even at the time people told me they lost like $23,000 on those three events.

The Joshimania bit is a clear lie, since I had multiple people in the know tell me those shows were considered shockingly successful at the time.

Now and even at the time people told me they lost like $23,000 on those three events.

I was told it was a money loser too, but that they were expecting to eat a much bigger loss and were willing to eat the loss for exposure. "Shockingly successful" is a shitty way to phrase it

How is it a lie then if it lost money? I wouldn't put it past them trying to work everyone into thinking this is what's really happening, but losing money is losing money. If they had a mark financing it, and it loses money on that level, do you really expect them to keep funding them for years? Even Panda had to get somewhat bailed out by Spike TV in keeping TNA afloat.

How is it a lie then if it lost money? I wouldn't put it past them trying to work everyone into thinking this is what's really happening, but losing money is losing money. If they had a mark financing it, and it loses money on that level, do you really expect them to keep funding them for years? Even Panda had to get somewhat bailed out by Spike TV in keeping TNA afloat.

It was a poor choice of words on my part. I don't know if the 23k figure is correct or not, but it's possible. Seems high based on how people I know were raving about how it did way better than expected, but it wouldn't shock me either. My guess is Quack has always lost tons of money on the "big" shows but has worked around it because he had a wealthy enabler on the other side of the bed

Which makes me wonder, if this isn't an angle (which I kind of agree it probably is), and it isn't true that there is marital discord between Quack and his rich wife, then why would she all of sudden stop helping him?

Furthermore, if this is an angle... I have to ask... "Why?" What do they get out of working people into thinking Chikara closed and they are spreading the resources out to the other feds? What does it really accomplish? The only thing I can think is that few feds with Chikara investment is better than just one, but that's a major reach.

• 1 month later...

There has been a whole bunch of mini teases within the CHIKARA world that could indicate it may or may not be done. From Ultra Mantis Black (CHIKARA's version of the Undertaker) posting in a CHIKARA memories thread yield the reaction of oh shit it is done to an odd fan rally last weekend to Eddie Kingston heelishly declaring "CHIKARA was dead" at a Wrestling Is show also last weekend.

NOW CHIKARA has released a weird CHIKARA prologue video with Quackenbush opening the Wrestlefactory (CHIKARA's Wrestling School):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVSQCpT4yQ

Possibly an alternative timeline and all that jazz.

On his most recent Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe podcast, around the 23 minute mark, Quack issued the following statement: "My wife has never had any ownership or control over the company Chikara, Incorporated. For more than seven years she's supported the creative endeavors of Chikara whole-heartedly. And anything out there to the contrary that is being implied is misinformation and any claims to the contrary are lies. So anybody perpetuating stuff like that - please stop. Enough of that."

My head hurts.

Can rovert or somebody tell me what happened at the last Chikara show to open up this speculation? Post spoiler tags or not.

About his wife/wive's family having a claim to the CHIKARA name by virtue of backing and building the company up?

It was a Youtube video with a drunk (and non very credible) Devon Moore of CZW. Where Devon said Quack is losing the company due to his wife leaving him. Then that rumour took on a life of it's own. But anyone who has repeated the same thing that I've asked the trail for that information leads back to that now deleted Devon Moore video.

Will, the match between Icarus and Eddie Kingston was stopped right when it appeared Icarus had the match nearly won, with Kingston locked in the Chikara Special.

Members of Condor Security rushed the ring and removed Icarus, Kingston and Bryce from the ring. They IMMEDIATELY began tearing the ring down and herding audience members out of the arena. Even the curtain was brought down (with certain members of the roster who had matches after intermission loitering around backstage, unmasked).

As all of this is unfolding, "Director of Fun" Wink Vavasseur is eating a apple on stage, figuratively watching Rome burn while he fiddles. Whether or not this has anything to do with Derek Sabato interrupting the show and tweeting out a mysterious photo that supposedly would have consequences for Wink's father, Conrad, and his firm (Titor Conglomerate? Worldwide Media Development? I get confused)....who's to say?

Confused yet? :) Because I haven't even brought up Archibald Peck and the multiple time-travel theories...