Pro Wrestling Only

CHIKARA

rovert

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I kind of wish Vince had run this angle on the last Nitro to kick off the Invasion, instead of the way they eased into it. Can you imagine the nerd rage for that one.

Posted Image

"I bought your show, hahaha. Everybody get out."

I've never been into Chikara, more the "never got around to seeing what it was" as opposed to the "I hate hipster wrestling" thing you see. Curious what the final payoff is here though, assuming of course there has to be one.

• 1 month later...

Seemingly this will be the next big development:

Posted Image

So Icarus is continuing his viral/grassroots campaign to Save Chikara, and is organizing a meet-up/rally in Philly on Saturday, Sept. 14, at the steps where they shot that scene in "Rocky."

There was also some hoopla about a petition that was posted under his username on the 101 Forums to Save Chikara, but which was revealed by Icarus to be a fraud, since his account got hacked. The site where the petition was hosted later showed that it was being run by Condor Security. The petition included fields for mailing addresses and phone numbers, which some people did admit on 101 to have filled out.

This thread on the 101 forums reveals that several of the people who signed the petition and gave their phone numbers have been receiving phone calls from (612) 460-1865, which is owned by Condor Security. These calls' all seem to be warnings about "security threats" and "[we] advise you to stay away from the Rocky Steps between 11 and 1 on September 14th." If someone calls the phone number back, they receive a message stating "Condor target/threat logged."

PWInsider's alternative version of the same story:

A few weeks back, Chikara wrestler Icarus has posted a video encouraging fans to continue to rally around Chikara and bring it back. He had posted on the Chikara forum that he needed to know who had his back and that September 14th at the Philadelphia Art Museum steps at 11am that everyone should come to show their support for Chikara . A link was posted that lead people to a site to fill out their contact information. After about a day, Icarus was telling people via twitter that his account was hacked. People going to the link Icarus posted now encountered a Condor Security logo. People immediately speculated that the last Director of Fun, Wink Vavvaseur and Condor Security were behind it and this was the next step in this Chikara storyline. Yesterday several members of the Chikara forums began receiving phone calls from unaffiliated security personnel urging people to stay away from the Art Museum steps on September 14th. Clearly Chikara's storyline is still progressing.

Hey, that's me!

I filled out the petition in hopes of getting a free t-shirt or something, and then it turned out to be a hoax set up by the fake security company that supposedly shut down Chikara.

They called last night at 11PM and told me that I should avoid Philadelphia, specifically the Rocky stairs between 11 am and 1 pm on Saturday the 14th. They then thanked me for my compliance and hung up.

I honestly couldn't tell if it was a recording or an actual person, the voice was very monotone.

I am thinking this whole Chikara shut down is going to turn into some kind of alternate reality game, before they come back next year.

Edit: Do you follow me on Twitter, or did you just happen to come across that?

• 2 weeks later...

Recap of today:

About 25-30 people showed up at the steps and at around noon, Icarus came and greeted us all. He took out a small megaphone and (after a bit of trouble turning it on haha) he made a speech about how one man inspired an entire city at that location (the Rocky steps), and so to will he inspire something something something CHIKARA. Then he handed out a petition to be signed by everyone (just names. no phone numbers, etc.) and handed out I AM CHIKARA t-shirts to everyone who didn’t own one from the first Easton meet-up (more people came than expected so he didn’t have enough shirts). He then said something about how we can make a difference and how our voice is our weapon and handed out slips of paper (not business cards. “I’m on a budget, son” haha) with Wink Vavasseur’s personal email: [email protected]. After that, he left, leaving behind a rolled up poster. A girl called out to him saying he forgot his poster and he said back something to the effect of “I don’t need it anymore” or “It’s yours now” or something like that. The poster said “#13Y19T5R9U13P”. Afterwards, people just kinda stood around and hung out.

~ xluckis4losersx

http://www.pwponderings.com/2013/09/14/hap...ara-091413-meet

• 2 weeks later...

I love Chikara, but this nonsense is getting out of hand. You can only pretend to be out of business for so long before you actually go out of business. Talent and staff aren't just going to chill indefinitely while you run an alternate reality game for the benefit of say me and 12 other people. Would hate to see the headstone on this promotion read "worked themselves into a shoot bankruptcy"

I love Chikara, but this nonsense is getting out of hand. You can only pretend to be out of business for so long before you actually go out of business. Talent and staff aren't just going to chill indefinitely while you run an alternate reality game for the benefit of say me and 12 other people. Would hate to see the headstone on this promotion read "worked themselves into a shoot bankruptcy"

Dude, the fact a wrestling company can do that in 2013 is the most awesome pro wrestling move imaginable and I hope it happens. And this is someone who enjoys Chikara's approach to storyline continuity and would hate to see it die out. Sometimes, things are just so ingrained into the fibre of professional wrestling, that you just have to applaud this beautiful, crazy sideshow.

• 1 month later...

A recap of the recent happenings

http://olewrestling.com/chikara-wrestling/...ith-chikara.htm

The strangest one was a guerilla CHIKARA show last Saturday that just had one match as it was abandoned. As a fan was kidnapped by the bad guys essentially - Condor Security. It was broadcast on a blurry UStream live feed. Fans/CHIKARA employees/hangers on instead of calling the cops decided to walk around the park looking for clues. It was lamer than I can ever possibly hope to describe.

A proper video of it is here with the fans looking for clues edited out:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any kind of consensus on what the best Chikara matches are? I've seen a few shows and Kingston vs Quackenbush and Claudio vs Sara Del Rey are the only matches I really enjoyed. Does anything come close to the Kingston/Quack match? Anything else good that involves the above workers (or Brodie Lee, El Generico etc.) that has a sense of drama without the 'comedy' rubbish? I only ask because I'm putting together a match list and don't fancy going through all the shows. Thank yous in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a hell of wheeze:

Following their 11/30 scavenger hunt that sent fans running all over Philadelphia in support of the "#IamCHIKARA" storyline, an email sent out by CHIKARA's parent "company" The Titor Corporation announced that they were liquidating the company and that they were currently seeking bidders looking to buy the intellectual property and company assets.

The email reads:

The Titor Conglomerate, the well-respected global alternative asset manager, is currently qualifying potential buyers to participate in the immediate sale of sports-entertainment brand CHIKARA, its related intellectual properties and remaining physical assets. Interested parties will need to complete the application on our site no later than 11:59:59 PT on Sunday, 22 December 2013. This property will be sold to the highest bidder of the qualified buyers.

If Quack takes money off fans to bring the promotion back then he is a first ballot inductee in the Carny Hall of Fame.