Pro Wrestling Only

CHIKARA

rovert

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the angle, between June 2013 and May 2014, Chikara have not/will not run a single show that lost money. That makes it the best drawing indy promotion angle in history.

Good line but in fairness they did run shows. Quackenbush/CHIKARA partnered on all the Wrestling Is shows. Quackenbush has acknowledged them as CHIKARA shows both in the business and narrative/canon sense. A lot of those shows were genuine disasters as in drawing 17 people and numbers like that. The oldest and best drawing Wrestling Is: Wrestling Is Fun is the only one they are keeping. It will serve as their developmental promotion.

How the hell can Chikara afford to run a developmental promotion?

Wrestling Is Fun draws fairly well. 400-600. I imagine the students work for little.

Wouldn't the students partially pay to work anyway?

Bingo. Plus, guys can double (sometimes triple) dip in CHIKARA. They just have to put a new Ant costume on. There are a few names I know for a fact that will work as a few different characters in the universe.

Here are some parts of the "Ashes of Chikara" trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47WGwAFZ90&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLbOg1DFKA&feature=player_embedded

While I admit that the concept for wrestlers in masks hanging out in libraries and bars is goofy, it is well done "movie" or whatever you call it

Listen for all the shit that people talk about Quack (and mostly deserved) and their fan base (somewhat deserved), the idea that you can be out of business for almost 8 months, re-run a show in May and it sells out in about 2 weeks is impressive. Name me the last promotion not named New Japan or WWE that sold out that quickly

Still though, Easton has been their marquee venue for big shows and that thing didn't even take 2 weeks to sell out. More like 3 days. I know because I grabbed a ticket and watched it sell-out before my pal got one.

So it at least suggests that in their own backyard they haven't shot themselves in the foot the way I figured they would have after 8 months. I'm certainly happy for that as a fan of the promotion and I hope their popularity has likewise held on outside of the Philly area.

So who is more carny - Heyman or Quack?

Heyman has a legacy to look back on and consider. We could almost devote an entire subfolder to the various schemes scams Heyman pulled with his wrestlers.

Quack has students that are afraid to wrestle for anyone else. They might even pay to wrestle on Chikara shows. Is there anecdotal evidence that the same could be said about ECW's lockerroom?

I haven't seen any Chikara beyond early 2011. They were pretty enjoyable from 2007-2010. After Claudio and Sara Del Rey left it felt like the roster was about four wrestlers deep - although your mileage may vary.

Heyman has a legacy to look back on and consider. We could almost devote an entire subfolder to the various schemes scams Heyman pulled with his wrestlers.

Quack has students that are afraid to wrestle for anyone else. They might even pay to wrestle on Chikara shows. Is there anecdotal evidence that the same could be said about ECW's lockerroom?

I haven't seen any Chikara beyond early 2011. They were pretty enjoyable from 2007-2010. After Claudio and Sara Del Rey left it felt like the roster was about four wrestlers deep - although your mileage may vary.

Heyman is way big a carney, simply because he has made way more money.

I'm not sure if I'd need a whole hand to count how many Chikara guys I currently consistently enjoy. I still like it on the whole but after the break I'm not sure if it is gonna be a top priority for me when May comes.

I'm kind of in the same boat in that the angle while interesting, came off as really stupid. And the "Wrestling Is" being the epic disaster that it was didn't help matters either. It also didn't make sense for me that arguably the fourth largest US wrestling promotion would close up shop and masquerade some kayfabe reason, when everyone knew the end result would be them coming back.

That said, my interest in indy wrestling really took a hit with the disappearance of Chikara. Let's see how things go upon the reboot.