Pro Wrestling Only

Bobby Fulton or Robert Gibson

Loss

Both guys are considered the lesser members of some pretty great tag teams. Gibson has some cool stuff in his arsenal like the Indian deathlock, but I'd think I'd take Fulton in a straight-up comparison. I kinda like him as a babyface hothead, and he really seemed like a guy who loved wrestling.

What do you think?

In their usual tag matches I find myself annoyed by Bobby Fulton while not really caring about Robert Gibson one way or the other. Robert is a really boring singles wrestler from what I saw in SMW.

But Bobby Fulton blew me away with his one match on the AWA set. He and Jackie wrestle a really green Destruction Crew and Bobby holds the whole match together, has really great looking punches, does his best to cover up some miscues and does one of the coolest counters I've ever seen when one of the Destruction Crew tries to powerslam him. Based on that one performance being better than 1 night from Robert Gibson and I'd have to go with Bobby Fulton.

If you'd asked me a month ago, before I'd ever seen that Destruction Crew match, I'd have taken Robert Gibson.

I'd go Fulton. He brought some things to the table. One he threw one helluva a jack hammer punch. Secondly he worked the Fantastic gimmick well. Fulton seemed to really care about his performance. I also thought Fulton was good in coming up with ideas or spots in matches. From interviews from the MX they would say how angry Fulton would get if the spot didn't go right. I also thought Fulton had more charisma.Though I thought Gibson looked smoother in the ring.

If you'd asked me a few weeks ago I'd have said Fulton straight away too.

But I've seen lots of RnR matches recently (and in the past) where Gibson more than carries his fair share of the work in extended FIP segements or taking the hot tag.

RnRs worked "double heat" structured matches quite often that went long. They involved both guys playing FIP for 10 min+ stretches.

The problem for Robert is that Ricky Morton is just THAT much better than him in both roles.

--------------

Here's what I'd say:

- Fulton at his best is better than Gibson at his best, but Fulton can have real off nights, he can be a 8/10 or even a 9/10 but sometimes he can be a 4/10.

- Gibson's average level of performance is pretty solid, if unspectacular, he'll give you 7/10 every match and in that same match Morton will be giving you 9/10 or even 10/10

- I find it easier to get excited about Fantastics matches than I do about RnR matches

I will return to this thread later in the week because I have two MX vs. Fantastics TV matches lined up in my viewing soon.

Gibson would be talked about more if Morton wasn't so great. Put him with a Steve O. type and Gibson is the star of the team, plus they would still be good.

I love the back bump over the top rope that Gibson does. Fulton has better offense overall. Plus he is a better bleeder. Selling is about even and an edge to Gibson in bumping.

I'm going with Fulton by a hair.

Love both teams BTW. Fantastics were the better team and RnR had the better gimmick.

I'd give this to Gibson.

Putting together the midsouth sets, I watched lots of Fulton working FIP sections and lots of Gibson working FIP sections and man alive could Fulton kill a match.

In their usual tag matches I find myself annoyed by Bobby Fulton while not really caring about Robert Gibson one way or the other

Fulton is a guy who can actively detract from a a match while Gibson at worst just seems there.

I'd also say what footage we have of the Gibson bros looks to smoke what we have from Jackie and Bobby Fulton (and I'm a pretty big George Hines fan).

Did Robert Gibson, 1997, work in a "lightweight" match against his former partner on RAW? I think not...Fulton for the win..

All joking aside, I go with Fulton as well, I would actually call him the best teamate on the Fantastics..he was a better seller to me during both team's high points and really was interchangeable with Rogers in the team, where Gibson was "Ricky Morton's parter in the RNR".

Fulton's mic work was MUCH better to and 100 times clearer, although Gibson growing up with a partially deaf family (as I think I read) didnt help him either...

Fulton's selling in the US Tag Title match vs. MX in '88 when he is bleeding buckets, takes a NASTY bump outside the ring on the metal barrier thing that surrounded the ring (helped by Stan Lane), and telling the ref not to stop the match was OUTSTANDING and gives him the overall edge as well. I cant think of one Gibson moment that stands out like that, as I can with TONS of Mortons.

I would have to go with Bobby Fulton.

There's not nothing really wrong with Robert Gibson, but he's clearly the weak link of his team. Ricky Morton was just so much better in every way. As a matter of fact, I like to use the term "the Gibson of the team" when describing the weak link of the team. I don't like using "the Jannetty of the team" like some people do, because Marty Jannetty was never clearly the weak link of any team.

Fulton was the weak link of his team too, but he usually brought some good stuff to the table.

However, I would like to know more about the really off-nights Fulton supposedly had. Could someone point out some examples of Fulton matches where he really took away some of the match quality? I would be interested in finding out, because that could change my opinion.

Did Robert Gibson, 1997, work in a "lightweight" match against his former partner on RAW? I think not...Fulton for the win..

All joking aside, I go with Fulton as well, I would actually call him the best teamate on the Fantastics..he was a better seller to me during both team's high points and really was interchangeable with Rogers in the team, where Gibson was "Ricky Morton's parter in the RNR".

Fulton's mic work was MUCH better to and 100 times clearer, although Gibson growing up with a partially deaf family (as I think I read) didnt help him either...

Fulton's selling in the US Tag Title match vs. MX in '88 when he is bleeding buckets, takes a NASTY bump outside the ring on the metal barrier thing that surrounded the ring (helped by Stan Lane), and telling the ref not to stop the match was OUTSTANDING and gives him the overall edge as well. I cant think of one Gibson moment that stands out like that, as I can with TONS of Mortons.

LOL, yeah Robert sounds like he has something in his mouth when he's talking for sure!

Rogers was a guy who could carry the action with his offense . Plus he could sell and make a match dramatic. Lane was good and brought things to the table like charisma, timing and knowing his role. Even as late as 97 Rogers was one of the more polished wrestlers in ECW.

Rogers being one of the better guys in ECW is a myth. It's a myth I pushed for a while, but after watching the footage it's just not true. To be fair part of that was that he didn't get the chances others got, but I was deliberately looking for a Rogers performance to push for the ECW Set and couldn't find one I could get behind in any real way.

Having said that I would take Rogers over Lane

I wasn't saying he was having the best matches in ECW. I was just saying he seemed more polished, and his stuff made more sense. I concede that you have watched more Rogers in ECW than I have. Still poor Rogers was shackled with Ghetti for the longest time.

• 2 weeks later...

TO sum it up - Fulton OR Rogers over Lane..

I was NOT a big fan of Stan Lane...didnt see anything special, and his kicks looked really weak... I know he was "the guy Flair trained", but the apple fell FAR from the tree...

That little hip grind thing he did looked strange and awkward..only thing worse was when Sable did it.....