Pro Wrestling Only

Most Puzzling Signings Ever

Dylan Waco

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Bossman in 99 goes, I always figured that Vince always liked him, didn't have a problem with him leaving and going to WCW (besides the Boss copyright infringement ), and was willing to showcase him to stick it to WCW by showing that they wasted this guy.

Yeah, Boss Man had quite a bit of respect within the company for drawing so big on house shows against Hogan a decade earlier. Vince was a big fan.

I guess it is less of puzzling signing and more puzzling use. I remember suspending my belief as a smarky teen and saying "... but Bossman was so mad when Heenan was talking about his mom" during the Big Show angle. Ha.

Ha! I remember being upset that they didn't explain how Rick Rude was able to get Jack Tunney's ban lifted when he returned as Shawn Michaels' insurance policy nearly 7 years later.

My favorite was when Mr. Perfect returned and no mention of his loser-leaves-town match against Flair was ever brought up!

Of course just because one LOSES a Loser Leaves Town match doesn't mean one can't turn around and BUY the said town some 8-9 years later! =;)

Loss - funny enough I'm reading the January 8th 1990 Observer and Meltzer mentions the Pat Tanaka story shortly after noting Gary Hart's firing. It seems like Tanaka would have been AS WELL AS Dragon Master rather than instead of him.

Looking at the cards, Dragon Master was actually positioned in an upper midcard slot. He was having semi-main tag matches with Sawyer and doing things like jobbing to Sting in main events at house shows. He's got to be one of the most anomalous guys from that time-frame. I always point to Col. Mustafa being in the main event of Summerslam 91 as being some truly WTF shit, but I reckon Dragon Master in 90 is even more puzzling. I struggle to think of someone so utterly incongruous in a promotion.

Adnan is weird to me. If someone told you in, let's say 1988 that Adnan Al Kassie was going to be in the main event of Summerslam in 91, that would be weirder to me than saying Mustafa would be.

Slightly off topic but imagine if someone had told you at an NWA show in 1988 that referee Teddy Long vs. Sheepherders flag bearer Johnny Ace would be one of the featured feuds heading into the 2012 WrestleMania.

Slightly off topic but imagine if someone had told you at an NWA show in 1988 that referee Teddy Long vs. Sheepherders flag bearer Johnny Ace would be one of the featured feuds heading into the 2012 WrestleMania.

Ace to me is weird in general. I don't want to quite go as far as to say most of his All Japan time left me with the feel of a guy cosplaying All Japan's idea of a "good wrestler", but he really did strike me as the least of all their regularly featured guys, a guy that just had a few big moves to run through and that was it. He wasn't outright bad, yet I can't remember ever thinking "Ace is the best guy in this match".

I always thought Tatanka on the SmackDown roster in 2006 was so strange. He left WWE in 1996, then... nothing. He might have done a couple spot shows, but for all intents and purposes he dropped off the grid completely. Then all of the sudden he's back under contract. And it wasn't like they were bringing him back for a nostalgia run, I don't think anyone was clamoring for the return of Tatanka. Just weird.

• 2 weeks later...

To me Sapphire is, was and always will be one of the most random things that ever happened in wrestling. So she's kinda up there in my book.

Clarence Mason and Ahmed Johnson returning in Russo-era WCW was weird and random.

Holy Crap - I had forgot that cup-of-tea Clarence Mason was J. Biggs (manager of Chris "Champagne" Kanyon and Harlem Heat 2000).

Posted Image

Wasn't Loch Ness signed because WCW thought they were getting some Vader-esque super-monster for Hogan to slay? WCW not realizing that a UK monster is much, much different?

To be fair, Haystacks was MASSIVE. Probably bigger than Vader in terms of height and weight.

This is going back and few years and it is vague, but I seem to recall that it was Hogan himself and Kevin Sullivan who thought of bringing in Haystacks after they'd seen him against Andre in Canada back in the 1970s.

I'm pretty sure he was semi- or actually fully retired in 1996.

What I'm wondering about is where or when Hogan or Sullivan could have possibly seen him.

He worked stints for Stampede in the 70s and early 80s, as seen here:

But I don't know of him ever working in US before the WCW run. I also don't know of Hogan working in Canada before he was WWF champ. Did Sullivan ever work for Stampede? Right now I'm inclined to believe that the line about Hogan and Sullivan is BS.