Pro Wrestling Only

Most Puzzling Signings Ever

Dylan Waco

This is admittedly a bit of an odd topic, but I was watching a portion of TNA's Hardcore Justice II (got help me and no I didn't get through the whole show) and Sam Shaw was on the card which I found unbelievably funny. For those who don't know Shaw was a part of the Gut Check thing and was a part of TNA for a brief period of time before recently being let go. Shaw was never a guy with much buzz around him, even within the world of South Georgia/North Florida indies where he has been a regular for several years. In fact of guys from that area I don't know that he's even a top twenty guy. There is nothing particularly interesting about him and while he has a passable look, he's not someone you see and think "this guy has something special." It struck me as a completely random signing and it got me thinking about random/bizarre/puzzling signings in the wrestling business in general. I have some others in mind, but I'd like to throw this open to the rest of the board first before I chime in with more names.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE recently signed northeast indie wrestler Smith James, who is below average in every way and has a look that is the total antithesis of what they generally look for. He's a big blubbery fat dude who looks like an 80's jobber. That's not something I personally typically care about, but it's certainly something WWE does.

There is a match floating around against Carlito that is the drizzling shits.

Apparently it did. Kai also tells the story of Moolah trying to get her dirty hands of the whole Glamour Girl deal that Jimmy Hart had proposed to Leilani & Martin, wanting to be their manager instead of Jimmy to maintain the control over the girls.

TNA is king for this - some of the WWE rejects they signed were just ridiculous, and made them out to be complete marks who just wanted anyone associated with McMahon to give themselves credibility. Who the fuck wants Tyson Tomko, a man responsible for possibly the worst PPV match ever? Or why push a charisma and talent vacuum like Matt Morgan? Maybe not puzzling as you can see why they brought them in, but certainly stupid.

I could never figure out how the Jumping Bomb Angels got in the WWF.

Leilani Kai, who had worked with them in Japan before, suggested them as opponents for her and Judy Martin.

Yeah, a lot of the US girls that WWF would use like Kai, Martin, Velvet McIntyre, etc... worked a ton of Japan in the late 70's & 80's. WWF had also brought in the Crush Girls, Dump & Bull the year before.

I could never figure out how the Jumping Bomb Angels got in the WWF.

Leilani Kai, who had worked with them in Japan before, suggested them as opponents for her and Judy Martin.

Yeah, a lot of the US girls that WWF would use like Kai, Martin, Velvet McIntyre, etc... worked a ton of Japan in the late 70's & 80's. WWF had also brought in the Crush Girls, Dump & Bull the year before.

I have no recollection of this.

Who did they work?

Guest Staples

Who the fuck wants Tyson Tomko, a man responsible for possibly the worst PPV match ever?

I would. Tomko was awesome as Christian's manager.

If you want to see what would have happened if they didn't pull the trigger on Batista turning on Triple H, just look at Tomko in TNA. He was getting over after seperating himself from Christian and Kurt Angle and they threw it away so he could screw Christian and return to being an Angle lackey.

I have no recollection of this.

Who did they work?

3/8/1986 Dump Matsumoto & Bull Nakano vs Velvet McIntyre & Dawn Marie

3/8/1986 Crush Girls vs Judy Martin & Donna Christanello

3/11/1986 Dump Matsumoto & Bull Nakano vs Susan Starr & Candice Pardue

3/11/1986 Crush Girls vs Leilani Kai & Black Venus

3/16/1986 Dump Matsumoto & Bull Nakano vs Velvet McIntyre & Linda Gonzalez

3/16/1986 Crush Girls vs Leilani Kai & Penny Mitchell

Crush got over pretty well off their ring work, Dump & Bull dumbed themselves down A LOT to generic cheap heel lvl.

all of these except the 3/11 Crush match are on youtube. Best match of the bunch is the 3/16 Dump/Bull tag, followed by the 3/16 Crush match. 3/8 Crush match isn't too bad either though it kinda draged a bit in the middle since they go 15 mins or so.

Rest is just average/forgetable.

The commentary from Monsoon/Ventura & Monsoon/Hayes borders the line between hilarious, annoying & offensive.

Still waiting for some sort of explaination for the existence of Ranger Ross.

He had potential as a worker I think, but was axed way before he could developp into something. Listen to his shoot interview if you can, he's a really interesting guy to listen to.

Sylvester Terkay always puzzled me because he had that legit MMA background and did his Brody clone stuff in Japan, but in WWE was just so bland.

Kizarny obviously had the look, but to see them start with someone and abandon ship so quick was surprising.

Was Erik Watts brought in WWF because his dad got hired around that time?

I was looking up Bam Neely's background when I discovered this EPICLY TRUE AND COMPLETELY UNBIASED FACT in his Wikipedia:

Rocheleau started his career wrestling in the tag team known as the "Hellraisers". He wrestled under the name "Hellraiser Gutz" and was trained and mentored by his uncle Richard Martin, who wrestled as "Hellraiser Blood". They traveled across the United States, winning several tag team championships from the numerous independent promotions around the country and were the main event draw in almost every city that they appeared in for nearly a decade

Of course - that's why Vince hired them - was the legendary GUTZ of the Hellrasiers!

Big T (Ahmed Johnson) in WCW was so legendarily bad. Do you think him coming in was at all connected to WCW reeling from the Racial discrimination suit?

Guest Staples

Sylvester Terkay always puzzled me because he had that legit MMA background and did his Brody clone stuff

Big T (Ahmed Johnson) in WCW was so legendarily bad. Do you think him coming in was at all connected to WCW reeling from the Racial discrimination suit?

Is Booker the only wrestler to feud over the rights to a letter and a shampoo commercial?

Sylvester Terkay always puzzled me because he had that legit MMA background and did his Brody clone stuff

Is Booker the only wrestler to feud over the rights to a letter and a shampoo commercial?

Hopefully, Mookie can pore through his records and give us a definitive answer on this.

Chuck Palumbo in CMLL was puzzling. He was with Jindrak, Kenzo Suzuki I think and Johnny Stamboli as a heel group. I don't think Lucha when thinking about Palumbo. I think he still did Mexican indies up to 2011.

A current one is Mascarita Dorada in WWE. I thought when Demus 3:16 got injured it was a angle so he could go to WWE but guess not. I can't see Dorada vs Hornswoggle working out that well.

Hopefully, Mookie can pore through his records and give us a definitive answer on this.

I found lotion contract and a Roman Numeral with Bobby Blaze.