Pro Wrestling Only

Most Puzzling Signings Ever

Dylan Waco

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.J. Friedman's entire career makes a lot more sense when you find out his dad is a ridiculously influential toy executive. Why else would a guy with no physique and little talent be in developmental while he's pushing 40? Also, we all owe Court Bauer an apology...

The WWF signing Bill Irwin and Alex Porteau (among others) in 1996.

Not really, they wanted good hands who could do jobs on TV (so the young guys wouldn't have to) but wouldn't be "jobbers."

Chuck Palumbo in CMLL was puzzling. He was with Jindrak, Kenzo Suzuki I think and Johnny Stamboli as a heel group. I don't think Lucha when thinking about Palumbo. I think he still did Mexican indies up to 2011.

A current one is Mascarita Dorada in WWE. I thought when Demus 3:16 got injured it was a angle so he could go to WWE but guess not. I can't see Dorada vs Hornswoggle working out that well.

Kenzo Suzuki's time in North America fits in this thread too really. He was a somewhat odd choice for WWE to bring over in the first place.

I could never figure out how the Jumping Bomb Angels got in the WWF.

The first wrestling VHS I owned was the Coliseum Home Video "The High Flyers" and it featured the 03/12/88 between the Jumping Bomb Angels and The Glamour Girls. As a little kid I thought that match was the bee's knees. For a while (before I really discovered the internet and Joshi) I thought the Jumping Bomb Angels were the best women's wrestlers ever.

Guest Staples

Also, the Tony Atlas signing because Vince randomly decided that his favorite time period for wrestling was 1979-1985.

I thought they could have done more with Atlas. He and Henry were a great pair:

Posted Image

2 late 80s NWA ones:

1. Hiro Matsuda as JJ Dillon's replacement.

2. The Dragon Master. Of all the Japanese wrestlers in the world to bring in, why him?

1. Hiro,maybe due to the fact that he was around in 88 as well during the Dusty - Luger feud (Weaver Lock vs. Matsuda Sleeper), so he'd been there before and been with JJ and Luger...continuity maybe?

2. Dragon Master was Kendo Nagasaki, who was around for a bunch of different runs in Mid-Atlantc days, so that is what they were going off of I'd guess...and he had history with Gary Hart.

Hiro couldn't talk though and brought precisely nothing to the table and ended up essentially getting replaced by Gary Hart. What's the point of a manager who can't do promos? Hiro wasn't even good at schtick like Mr. Fuji.

There must have been a willing Japanese guy with more name value than the fake Kendo Nagasaki, surely. He looks completely out of place in the ring with Flair, Arn and co. What was Saito doing in late 1989? Literally anyone would have been better in that spot than Dragon Master. Shit put Jack Victory in a ninja mask, they did it for every other hole in the card.

Also, the Tony Atlas signing because Vince randomly decided that his favorite time period for wrestling was 1979-1985.

I thought they could have done more with Atlas. He and Henry were a great pair:

Posted Image

I second this....they should have brought the act for a Main Event fun on RAW for a few months...they were a GREAT team...they should Booker with him (Henry) now and do that same type thing on the big show...

That makes a bit more sense. Tieing up something from earlier in the thread: maybe this could have been a place to use Ranger Ross and his deadly martial arts skills. Stick him in a mask with gloves on and let him go wild with his karate kicks.

Learn something new every day on this board: The Orient Express were formed as a by-product of WWF messing up the J-Tex corporation.

The J-Tex Corporation is probably the most ill-conceived and confusing stable in wrestling history.

J-Tex was Terry Funk and Muta to start. Then Dick Slater subbed for Funk. Slater left. Then "Mr. J", Dragon Master came in, in one of the most underwhelming debuts I've ever seen. Terry Funk turned face. Then Buzz Sawyer was added.

Then Gary Hart left.

I literally can't get my head around what the grouping of Muta, Buzz Sawyer and Dragon Master were meant to be or represent in Feburary 1990 (in kayfabe terms).

I have no idea what a fan of that period was meant to think Buzz Sawyer thought in his mind. It is such a confusing stable.

When you do your show, please talk about how you see the potential of a babyface Great Muta and how you both see it, because it's a topic that interests me.

One of the lost great storylines is they could've done Nikita 2.0 with Muta as he turns babyface in honor of Sting to feud with Flair who he was feuding with anyway. That way you keep Luger heel which he was fantastic at then.

That makes a bit more sense. Tieing up something from earlier in the thread: maybe this could have been a place to use Ranger Ross and his deadly martial arts skills. Stick him in a mask with gloves on and let him go wild with his karate kicks.

Let me introduce you to the Pearl. You will take back this sentence.