Pro Wrestling Only

Best of Japan 2000-2009 vote

Ditch

Kobashi & Akiyama vs Misawa & Taue, NOAH August 5, 2000

Main event of NOAH’s first show since the guys split from AJPW. Two out of three falls though it feels like only a one fall match with the quick submission and it going two straight falls. The finish after the first fall with Misawa is disturbing to watch. The shots are stiff and can easily be heard over the quiet crowd. The Jun show continues as he picks up both falls in match. Plus he takes a shot at his tag partner Kobashi after the match! Hard one to rate right now on whether it will make my top 100. The striking was good. I like Jun’s continued strong rise but the two out of three falls stipulation didn’t satisfy.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chono vs Fuchi, All Japan September 2, 2000

We get some stalling early by both guys. Chono won’t take off his ring entrance top which seems to miff Fuchi. More stalling by Chono as he teases walking out in match. Chono really heels it up during match. Fuchi’s corner standing on Chono move is great. Crowd really gets behind Fuchi when he starts going on the offense. Real fun match with Chono being a dick and Fuchi playing the plucky babyface putting up a fight. The outsider heel coming into the territory to take on the local babyface. It's a simple match but each guy plays his part excellent. My first horse candidate.

Kanemoto & Tanaka vs Liger & Makabe, New Japan September 12, 2000

Kanemoto just kicking the crap out of Makabe’s back. Liger looks cool but I’m not completely behind the all black look. Long commercial break here. World Cup 2002. I hate penalty kicks!!!! Back to match. Tanaka has a few good looking moves but I’ve never got behind the whole package of him in the ring. Kanemoto is such an asshole when he gets the heel hook on an kicks Liger repeatedly in the back. He still has his flippy awful senton I dislike. Makabe finally does something in match and hits a big German. Top rope German by Liger! Makabe does have a better spear than Edge. Tanaka does his crazy roundhouse kick attempt where he lands on his feet. Did he actually ever hit someone with the kick itself? Makabe’s whole offense is German’s and spears. The last few minutes were good but the first half was nothing. And I can’t get behind Tanaka and Makabe right now. This won’t make it for me.

Akiyama, Takayama & Shiga vs Kobashi, Rikio & Kikuchi, NOAH September 25, 2000

Shiga’s stirkes looks so weak compared to everyone else. Ha, Kikuchi gets ballsy and tries to take on both Akiyama and Takayama and ends up getting squished into the mat. He deserved that. Shiga against Kobashi is painful to watch. The audio isn’t in full sync with the video. When you are watching the great six mans from 90's and then this you are seeing some serious drop off. This was barely average as a whole. No chance to make it in my top 100.

Sasaki vs Kawada, New Japan October 9, 2000

Kawada in a suit is so bad ass. He should have wrestled in the match like that. Don’t kick Kawada in the leg! He gets fired up and exchanges some kicks back. Kawada eggs Sasaki on to chop him in the chest. Kawada was top notch when it came to getting the sweat fly off his face when he got smacked in the head. It’s an excellent match but I don’t view it as high as I use to. Maybe too harsh on my part. They are justing beating the crap out of each other with clotheslines. Still a strong match but not the top ten I may have programmed it to be going in. Sasaki is not pleased with himself in losing and gives up the IWGP title. Credit to him in taking that much pride in himself for not being able to win match.

This sounds like a real fun project and Loss couldn't have made things much easier with all his links to YouTube and downloads. I'm gonna try my damndest to watch and review all these on Segunda Caida and make an ongoing ballot/ranking as I do it. I'll start in 2000 and we'll see how far I get (most likely I'll get to April of 2000).

Takayama vs Nishimura, G-1 Climax semifinal, New Japan August 10th 2002

Background: Takayama was a hot commodity at the time due to his famous fight in PRIDE against Don Frye, and was a main eventer in both New Japan and NOAH at the same time. Nishimura is a throwback, using '70s-style technical wrestling to combat the brutal bruiser.

Why I think it's underrated: G-1 finals always get the spotlight, and understandably so. This not only wasn't a final, but it wasn't wrestled as an "epic". What they do pull off admirably is the sort of style-versus-style matchup that lies at the heart of the G-1 Climax concept. Nishimura gets Takayama into his own 'Muga World' and is able to be competitive, but in the back of your mind is the nagging suspicion that Takayama can crush him with a single blow. The crowd has those same doubts...

What it deserves: Top 100. I don't see it as a MOTYC, but it is both distinct and memorable.

2000 - SUWA vs. Dragon Kid

SUWA was absolutely amazing here. The ultimate bully punk. DK isn't as smooth as he is now but that was part of his charm here and he hit everything clean enough that it worked. The first portion of the match and everything around the restart is decent, but it's the last third which is what really makes this match special. SUWA hits an absolutely gorgeous Sweeter Bomb (which is a move that if you haven't see, you need to) in probably my highpoint of the match, but the finish is nothing to sniff at either. Post match features a surprise debutant who seemed oddly tentative, and some epic heeling by SUWA.

Where I'll have it: Maybe top 40.

2000 - Kawada vs. Kensuke AT THE BIG EGG DOME!!!

Talk about big fight atmosphere! As much as I love modern New Japan, I don't think they've been able to create a big fight feel like this had. Then again, they don't have Kawada. Sasaki's entrance jacket is bad ass, and it goes swimmingly with his haircut at the time. First really great moment of the match is when Kensuke hits the kind punchy type strike and I don't think he was happy with how it landed but Kawada being the absolute master that he is, staggers and falls to his ass, selling the rough looking strike as though it knocked him loopy. One of those matches that you can't take your eye off for a second. You know it ain't going long, so any strike could be a key moment in the match.

Where I'll have it: I'd say it's a lock for top 20, but top 10 ain't out of the question.

Dick Togo vs Tiger Mask 4, junior title tournament final, Michinoku Pro August 25th 2002

Background: Michinoku Pro had used several singles titles over the years, typically obscure ones from Mexico. In 2002 they decided to create their own belt and had a huge round-robin tournament to crown a champion. Togo and Tiger Mask 4 were the top two and advanced to the final.

Why I think it's underrated: MPro's heyday was 1996, with the Kaientai stable helping to generate one great sprint after another. The promotion lost its consistency when most of the roster went elsewhere, since MPro tours the relatively poor and very rural north part of the country and thus doesn't pay particularly well. A case in point is this bout, with two Michinoku trainees who now only worked part-time for the promotion. Due to its lack of great match production, MPro shows tended to fly under the radar. This match went completely unnoticed from what I can tell, yet I'd say pretty much anyone will enjoy it. Life-long heel Togo is able to push life-long babyface Tiger Mask 4 to the breaking point in a very compact, intense battle. After watching it the first time I thought it was quite a bit longer than it actually was; they cram a lot in there.

What it deserves: Top 100. This feels like the climax of a US-style feud more than a Japanese title match, but it will have a hard time going ahead of matches that are twice as long and still great throughout.

2000 - Aja Kong vs. Kaoru

Well this was different.....

If I find a match on the ballot as unique as this I'll be surprised. The violence was plentiful, but it all told such a great story that it wasn't mindless violence for the sake of it. There is one spot in here which I won't spoil with the full details but it involves Kaoru getting thrown to the floor and when you see it you will lose you're freaking mind. The story is great. Kaoru is completely and utterly outmatched so she goes with the only gameplan that gives her even the slightest chance - taking out Kong's arm and eliminating the Uraken Backfist. Her armwork though.... it's less than traditional.

Overall I loved this. Parts of it are disjointed, and it could have done with a little bit more crowd heat but the effort and story are there in bucketloads.

Where I'll have it: Best case between 30 and 40.

2000 NJPW - TenCozy vs. Nagata/Iizuka

Not even close to the best tag match in this post but man it's still soooo much better than modern NJPW tag matches. Guys like Naito, Okada and Tanahashi need to watch this to see how to structure a tag match that doesn't just come off as run of the mill. The break-ups were all timed perfectly, the double teaming was all great, just a really good energetic tag.

Where I'll have it - touch and go for a spot on the ballot. If it gets on it'll be in the 90-100 range.

2000 NJPW - NJ Juniors vs. Osaka Pro

The more I watch young Makabe, the more I feel he got a raw deal on his rep at the time. He was a perfectly acceptable chunky junior with a sweet German Suplex. That's not why you're watching this though. You're watching this for TANAKA VS. MURAHAMA - SHOOTBOXERS COLLISION! These two have amazing chemistry together and I'd venture to say that their kickboxing exchanges are better than any I've ever seen in wrestling. Crazy amounts of heat and hate, fast paced action and a great finish. Only thing holding me back on this match is that there was no real build in it. Not a major complaint though considering the style of match it was.

Where I'll have it - Should make the ballot, but like the match above, it's 90-100 at best.

2000 NJPW - Iizuka/Nagata vs. Kawada/Fuchi

One of the best tag matches ever? I'd put this up against any 90s Kawada tag from All Japan. The AJPW matches sometimes lose me for a minute here and there but on this one, I didn't look away for a split second. Fuchi and Kawada may be the two best wrestlers ever for making every little tiny thing seem important (Finlay would be in that conversation too) and this match was a great advertisement for that. This was in the same building as the August 4th G1 show and if you thought those matches had heat, well this may have trumped them all. It was just a constant wall of noise with the reactions being insane to every twist and turn. I love how every guy is completely fucked after about 20 minutes and they're all just hobbling around broken in one way or another. This is how you do a tag match, this is how you do an interpromotional match and this is how you get five snowflakes.

Where I'll have it - Top 10 for sure. I get a feeling it won't be top 5 as I can think of at least 3 or 4 matches I'd definitely have ahead of it. But yeah this is very very elite.

Kanemoto vs Hashi, New Japan August 29th 2002

Background: New Japan versus NOAH was the hot feud of 2002, and this show captured the dynamic as well as any other. Because of the unusual makeup of the card (mostly junior heavyweights from many promotions and no full-time NJ heavyweights) and the location (traditional All Japan/NOAH haunt Tokyo Nippon Budokan), the crowd was a mix of New Japan and NOAH fans, with NOAH's fans often winning out. This is the second of three NJ vs NOAH junior matches. Kanemoto is the IWGP junior heavyweight champion, and as such is the overwhelming favorite.

Why I think it's underrated: Despite taking place at Nippon Budokan, the event didn't get the coverage that standard big shows did due to the makeup of its card and the lack of a coherent overall theme. Also, this wasn't a "dream match"; Hashi wasn't nearly as athletic and explosive as Marufuji and KENTA, and didn't attract headlines the way they did. This match takes advantage of the strengths of both men: Kanemoto as the cocky superstar and Hashi as the tough underdog.

What it deserves: Top 100. Really solid, plenty of heat, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

I'm not so big into puro, especially post 97, however I downloaded the spreadsheet and I am going to start watching some things. To start I am going to watch every Tenryu match. Then I am going to watch every Koji Kanemoto match and keep going like that with my favourites. Hopefully I get through enough to toss out a ballot.

Is anyone else having issues opening or downloading the matches?

I have a MAC PRO and when I click on the Match links...all teh sudden its just sits there saying Opening 0%

I have tried it on two macs with no luck and reset my router in the house...

Only happening on the MAC's...PC"s seem fine!

Any ideas?

I had major issues with my iMac on downloading and watching stuff. You probably need to switch to a different viewing/watching window device. Some have been mentioned earlier in thread. Rapidshare which is used rarely still sucks to download from though.

Anyways, been enjoy watching matches from 2000.

Ishikawa vs Murakami, Battlarts November 26, 2000

Murakami has this permanent snare on his face you just want to see get kicked off. Indian Death Lock? Wait, did he just let go of it? From camera angle couldn’t tell. This is different now as they are brawling into the crowd! Murakami kicks are stiff as hell. Headbutt! Enziguiri! Ishikawa can take a beating but wins with the choke! I really enjoyed that he won this match. Hard one to rate but it has top 100 chance.

Got my issue fixed...

Loved Kawada vs. Kojima from 2001.....

I have been watching a good bit of Puro over the last month or so (my first full dive in) and one thing is clear to me...

Kawada is the FUCKIN man....period, Love him....It started with the first puro match I saw (Kawada vs. Taue, 1/91) and the clothesline to the back of Taue's head that was BRUTAL...and the love continued from there..

Bad motherfucker...

Kanemaru & Kikuchi vs Samurai & Naruse, IWGP junior tag titles, NOAH September 23rd 2002

Background: Kanemaru and Kikuchi formed a somewhat impromptu tandem in February to tangle with the invading New Japan forces, led by Liger himself. The initial tag is one of the best of the year and I'm confident everyone will watch it. This is another skirmish in the war.

Why I think it's underrated: A match that isn't the main event or semi-main, let alone one with junior heavyweights, let alone one with second-tier junior heavyweights, is easy to pass over. Samurai/Naruse is a somewhat random pairing for New Japan to send over, yet improbably enough they're an effective unit. I suspect that a lot of what makes this match good is the momentum of the NJ vs NOAH feud from the August 29th show.

What it deserves: Top 100 consideration / on the bubble. Not as good as the top-tier matches in the feud, but most of those are top 50 caliber, so top 100 for this is reasonable.