Pro Wrestling Only

Best 2013 Matches (Pre August)_

Smack2k

Hey yo,

Before August, I was watching NOTHING new in 2013....so I'd like to know...

What matches should I track down from Jan - July 2013 and see?

I know two are the Cesaro / Zayn match from July as well as the LA Park vs. Dr Wagner CMLL match...any others?

Also, what are the WWE Best matches of 2013 so far not on PPV?

Okay, let's see here:

John Cena vs. CM Punk Raw 2/25/13 - A really awesome tv match for the right to face Rock at Mania for the title. It's a nice little culmination to their rivalry too as they bring out everything to try and win.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Big Show Smackdown 1/8/13 (LMS Match) - This was a tremendous performance from Show and the finishing sequence is outstanding. This was a helluva way to start the year in tv.

William Regal vs. Kassius Ohno NXT 3/21/13 (this airs in April though I think) - An incredible performance from Regal and quite possibly the television match of the year.

Virus vs. Blue Panther CMLL 5/12/13 - I may be mistaken but you might be one of the people here pretty blank on lucha. Even so, this is a really good mat based lucha showcase from two of the best at that style.

Rush/Rey Escorpion/Maximo vs. Negro Casas/Terrible/Shocker, CMLL 6/28 - Great wild trios match with Rush/Casas beating the holy hell out of one another and amping up the energy.

Charles Lucero vs. Rey Hechicero, Monterrey 8/4 - A great lucha title match from Monterrey and probably my MOTY so far.

Jun Akiyama vs. KAI, AJPW 4/29 - I believe this is from the Carnival. Great, great performance from Akiyama.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW 8/4 - From the G1 and probably my Japan MOTY. Really good work from both guys here especially Nakamura.

Others that haven't been mentioned yet,

Sheamus vs Cesaro, Main Event 5/6 & Smackdown 14/6

Alberto vs Dolph, Payback & Main Event 14/2

John Cena vs Mark Henry, Money in the Bank

Alberto vs Swagger, Smackdown 19/4

Cesaro vs Kofi, Raw 15/4 & Main Event 1/5

Sheamus vs Barrett, Main Event 29/5

Cesaro vs Zayn I, NXT 12/6 (airdate)

Cesaro vs Neville, NXT 18/4

Also, every Shield match ever. I mean that quite literally, but if you want a selection, I'd say,

vs Cena/Sheamus/Ryback, Elimination Chamber

vs Kofi/Bryan/Kane, Raw 20/5

vs Team Hell No, Raw 27/5

vs Kofi/Orton/Sheamus, Smackdown 24/5

vs Cena/Bryan/Kane, Raw 29/4

There's also the two Gail Kim vs Taryn Terrell matches, Slammiversary and the 13/7 Ladder Match.

I was going to be unhelpful and say every Shield 6 man from TV, but Jimmy gave you more than a significant sampling. Along with Punk/Cena from the February Raw, those are probably my favorite WWE matches of the year -- PPV or TV, before Summerslam.

From Japan:

Nakamura vs. Sakuara - 1/4

Tanahashi vs. Okada - April Invasion PPV

Shibata vs. Ishii - G1

Tanahashi vs. Ishii - G1

I have a fuckload of indie matches I could point you to, but I don't want to clutter this thread with shit that isn't MOTYC level and then have people go "OMG that match wasn't that good!" over and over

Dylan, PM me your list then...I would love to see it.

Thanks for the other shit so far...great stuff.....always lookin...

I have a fuckload of indie matches I could point you to, but I don't want to clutter this thread with shit that isn't MOTYC level and then have people go "OMG that match wasn't that good!" over and over

Dylan, PM me your list then...I would love to see it.

Thanks for the other shit so far...great stuff.....always lookin...

Screw that. Post those matches here, Dylan. With links where applicable, of course :)

No way in hell I'm going to the trouble of grabbing all of these links, but I will only note matches that are definitely available on youtube. This isn't necessarily the absolute best/my favorite stuff from the indies, but it's pretty close:

Chris Masters vs. Lance Hoyt, TCW (Don't know the date here, but it's easy to find on youtube)

Vordell Walker vs. Mike Cruz, Vintage Wrestling 1/19

KT Hammil vs. Brandon Daniels, Empire 1/19

Kyle Matthews vs. Vordell Walker, Rampage Pro 1/20 (available on Rampage site, but god knows what episode number it is - first fifteen minutes or so of this are outstanding)

KT Hammil vs. Keith Hammil, Empire 1/26 (I like this more than anyone else, but fuck it I'm including it)

Kyle Matthews vs. Jimmy Rave, DSCW 1/27

Kyle Matthews vs. Shaun Tempers, LPN 2/16

Jorge Santi/Matt Taven vs. Mike Bennett/Chris Masters, FWE 2/16

Timothy Thatcher vs. Jeff Cobb, Supreme Pro Wrestling 2/17

Rob Conway vs. Kahagas, NWA 3/16 (perhaps not as good as some of the other ones, but an NWA title switch and much better than I would have thought)

Kyle Matthews vs. Shaun Tempers, DSCW 3/29

Necro Butcher vs. New Jack, Pro Wrestling Syndicate 4/5 (yeah, yeah I know)

Damien Wayne vs. Vordell Walker, SAW 4/7

Dr. Tom Prichard vs. Alex Avgerinos, 5/4 (The most surprisingly awesome match of the year)

Vordell Walker vs. Mike Cruz, SCGW 5/4

Bonesaw vs. Necro Butcher, PWS 5/18

Damien Wayne vs. Vordell Walker, SAW Cage Match 6/14

Jocephus Brody/Tracy Smothers vs. Team IOU, SAW 6/22

2 Cold Scorpio vs. Mike Cruz, USA Pro 7/27

Kyle Matthews vs. KT Hamill, DSCW 8/2

Cyrus The Destroyer vs. Torque, DSCW 8/2

Luke Gallows vs. Jake Davis, Elite Pro 8/9

Kyle Matthews vs. Anthony Henry, 8/24

Vordell Walker vs. Mike Cruz vs. Jon Davis vs. Sam Shaw vs. Jesse Neal, USA Pro 8/31 (mainly worth watching for the "holding down the fort" performance of Walker in the face of overwhelming odds)

I left a lot of good stuff off, including a handful of really excellent matches from UK indies. But that's a good start

Just talking up my own little patch of ground here, these were my favorite matches from C*4 in Ottawa this year :

Hacker Scotty O'Shea vs Speedball Mike Bailey , Rise Above, January 19, 2013

Josh Alexander vs. Christopher Bishop vs. Lionel Knight, Rise Above, January 19, 2013

Michael Elgin vs Speedball Mike Bailey , Level Up, March 9, 2013

Super Smash Brothers vs Checkmate, Domination 2K13, April 27, 2013

Hacker Scotty O'Shea vs Speedball Mike Bailey, Fans Bring The Keyboards Match, Comination 2K13, April 27, 2013

I heard good things about the Scotty O'Shea vs Josh Alexander vs Mike Bailey 3 way match from Crossing The Line in June, but I wasn't able to make that show and haven't seen the DVD yet.

No way in hell I'm going to the trouble of grabbing all of these links, but I will only note matches that are definitely available on youtube. This isn't necessarily the absolute best/my favorite stuff from the indies, but it's pretty close:

Chris Masters vs. Lance Hoyt, TCW (Don't know the date here, but it's easy to find on youtube)

Kyle Matthews vs. Vordell Walker, Rampage Pro 1/20 (available on Rampage site, but god knows what episode number it is - first fifteen minutes or so of this are outstanding)

KT Hammil vs. Keith Hammil, Empire 1/26 (I like this more than anyone else, but fuck it I'm including it)

Rob Conway vs. Kahagas, NWA 3/16 (perhaps not as good as some of the other ones, but an NWA title switch and much better than I would have thought)

Dr. Tom Prichard vs. Alex Avgerinos, 5/4 (The most surprisingly awesome match of the year)

Vordell Walker vs. Mike Cruz vs. Jon Davis vs. Sam Shaw vs. Jesse Neal, USA Pro 8/31 (mainly worth watching for the "holding down the fort" performance of Walker in the face of overwhelming odds)

I left a lot of good stuff off, including a handful of really excellent matches from UK indies. But that's a good start

Dylan,

I cant find any of the Vordell Walker 2013 links...could you let me know those ones possibly? Big fan of his nad Damien Wayne's feud....

-Shinsuke Nakamura vs Sakuraba is insanely awesome I thought.

-Vordell Walker has been having a pretty good year. If someone doesn't book that 2 Cold 2/3 falls match will make me cry(not really but I'll be sad). His matches vs Cruz were really good.

-Luke Gallows vs Jake Davis put the biggest of smiles on my face because it is a great match and it gives a nice start to what will be more Luke Gallows awesomeness

-Rey Hechicero vs Charles Lucero's title match from 8/4 is probably my favorite lucha match of the year and a Top 5 match for me.

I don't think I'll see much Chikara here but I recommend Eddie Kingston vs Green Ant, both of them. Also Archibald Peck vs Mark Angelosetti 2/9 may be one of my favorite indy feud enders in recent years. Maybe not the best from a pure quality standpoint but they had a bunch of callbacks and just an overall enjoyable experience.

Dylan,

I cant find any of the Vordell Walker 2013 links...could you let me know those ones possibly? Big fan of his nad Damien Wayne's feud....

A few other matches I’ve really liked that haven’t been mentioned yet:

* Dean Allmark & El Ligero vs. Rampage Brown & Robbie Dynamite (ASW – 3/31)

* Dean Allmark, El Ligero, James Mason & Cool Carl Curtis vs. Rampage Brown, Robbie Dynamite & Blackpool Blondes in an over the top rope eight-man tag elimination match (ASW – 8/15)

* Dean Allmark vs. Rampage Brown in a Tables Match (ASW – 8/27)

Basically all of the Allmark vs. Brown & Dynamite stuff that I’ve watched from 2013 has been good but these are probably my favorite. The first is a tag title match that is one of the better basic, Southern style tag matches I have seen this year. The stipulations of the second match might sound like something Russo would cook up and I was skeptical going in , but the over the top rope rule really adds a lot to the match. It is a good example of using the gimmicks to enhance the match, not detract from it. Same goes with the third match which is a relatively short tables match, but is worked smartly and has a few neat spots. The core ASW guys are really good at working gimmick matches in a way to get the most out of them without having to resort to over the top theatrics.

* Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Yuji Okabayashi (Big Japan – 3/31)

* Yuki Kondo vs. Hiromitsu Kanehara (U-Spirits – 3/9)

The first is a different Big Japan Strong Championship match in that it is focused on limb work and it is very good. The U-Spirits match is the best shoot style match I’ve seen this year which I know isn’t saying much since that is basically a dead style. Still, this is a good match in its own right, especially considering that this was (I think) Kondo’s first pro wrestling match.

* Ricochet & Rich Swann vs. Samuray del Sol & AR Fox (PWG – 3/22)

* Dinastia, Mascarita Divina & Rey Celestial vs. Mini Abismo Negro, Mini Charly Manson & Mini Histeria (AAA – 4/15)

Two enjoyable high flying matches. I hesitate to call either match a “spot fest” because that phrase has largely a pejorative connotation and both are legitimately good matches even if the selling point is the flying and incredible moves.

* Titan vs. Polvora (CMLL – 1/1)

* Negro Casas vs. Mascara Dorada (CMLL – 6/2)

Both of these are title matches and while neither are blow away, I thought they were two of the better Lucha title matches of 2013 so far.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that everything but the U-Spirits match and the PWG match should be on Youtube. U-Spirits is on Daily Motion I think.

Thanks Dylan...muy apreciado...

I gotta say though that you REALLY love wrestling to watch a few of these from teh way they were shot...like one camera in the 6th row from one angle shooting the whole match.. I just cant do that..I have tried, but cant!!

So kudos to you and all who can watch those matches...they may be excellent, I just cannot get into them without better viewing areas....I bow to your love which totally supercedes mine at that point!

Thanks Dylan...muy apreciado...

I gotta say though that you REALLY love wrestling to watch a few of these from teh way they were shot...like one camera in the 6th row from one angle shooting the whole match.. I just cant do that..I have tried, but cant!!

So kudos to you and all who can watch those matches...they may be excellent, I just cannot get into them without better viewing areas....I bow to your love which totally supercedes mine at that point!

There are times when camera angles or video quality will cause me to pass on something, but it has to be really, really bad. Generally speaking I would rather watch indie fancams then pro shot indies as pro shot will include god awful, indie commentary which is pretty much the least appealing thing about modern wrestling including Davey Richards.

Jeremy Wyatt v. Mark Sterling from the Metro Pro episode 130 is really good for the type of match it is and could easily be added to the list above. I just watched it last night. A couple of the ASW matches above are actually among my LEAST favorite of the ASW matches I've seen this year. I think the tag ladder match is probably the best going purely off memory.

Awesome thread this is. I actually enjoy single shot filmed matches for the most part, if it's a decent shot I find it quite relaxing for some reason. Less jarring than the multishots. And I like to hear the impact of the moves, the shit talking of the heel and the reactions of the crowd (especially kids). Lack of shite commentary is a bonus too.

I'll try and check out lot of this stuff. Two guys I discovered through Dylan's mental list - Kyle Matthews and Vordell Walker - I've been really impressed with. I enjoyed their match vs each other (forgot the date but it's the one where Matthews is selling an injury pre-match), one of the best indie matches I've caught this year.

Robbie Dynamite vs my fave British guy, Mikey Whiplash from ICW is up there with the best indie matches I've seen as well. Some lovely mat work going on.

(29 mins in)

Most of the WWE ones have been mentioned but I feel Uso's vs Shield MITB pre-show shouldn't be overlooked.

Vordell Walker has been a favorite of mine for a few years...I first saw him on NWA from Hollywood in 2010 or 2011 I think...him and Damien Wayne I ahve always enjoyed and their matches together are solid affairs..He's been in the NWA National Title hunt or had the title for a while now. Would like to see him get a NWA World Title shot at a bigger show and see how he does...not sure why he hasnt..

How does everyone feel about Chance Prohpet? He has a great character in interviews and a good look (different type of face painting), but then seeing him (not a great physique) takes TONS away from the mystique of the character you see in his intense interviews (which are neck up). He should try a full suit ala Goldust and see how the character goes..