Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #4

placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-4-wwf-july-to-august-1979/

artworks-000057805422-sn85ar-t500x500.jp

Parv and James welcome back Titans regulars Kelly, Pete and Johnny Sorrow for more 1979 goodness.

On the docket tonight:

07-30 BOB BACKLUND vs PAT PATTERSON WWF TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

07-30 JAY STRONGBOW vs GREG VALENTINE STRAP MATCH MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

07-30 ANDRE/SANTANA/PUTSKI/DENUCCI vs VALIANTS/ALBANO MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

08-79 NIKOLAI VOLKOFF CRUSHES APPLES WWF TV

08-26 STRONGBOW, ALBANO/VALIANTS, PAT/WIZARD, BACKLUND, ANDRE WWF TV

08-27 PAT PATTERSON/WIZARD, GREG VALENTINE/WIZARD PROMOS WWF TV

08-27 BOB BACKLUND vs PAT PATTERSON WWF TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

08-27 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs NIKOLAI VOLKOFF MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

08-27 ANDRE THE GIANT vs JERRY VALIANT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

Some other topics include:

- Explaining the appeal of Bob Backlund to fans raised on 1) the Hogan-era, 2) the Attitude era, and 3) current WWE. And why is he so divisive?

- Stooging: to what extent if any is "parity" between the offense of faces and heels important?

- General marking out for the greatness of Pat Patterson

- The structure of MSG cards

- Detailed bio for Dominic Denucci (by Kelly)

- The total and utter douchery of Chief Jay Strongbow

- Favourite memorable wrestling fans

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Been stripping and repainting the frame around the garage and listened to #3 and midway through #4 right now...great group of guys.....and a GREAT show that makes me want to buy that set and I will be once I get the cash...

Pete, has anyone ever mentioned you sound exactly like David Cross in these shows? Your voice is nearly identical...

Been stripping and repainting the frame around the garage and listened to #3 and midway through #4 right now...great group of guys.....and a GREAT show that makes me want to buy that set and I will be once I get the cash...

Pete, has anyone ever mentioned you sound exactly like David Cross in these shows? Your voice is nearly identical...

LMAO, no never. In real life I've been told that I'm real loud and my

voice carries.

I feel like I kinda no sold Johnny's group love at the end of the show, but y'know I'm British, we get embarrassed! So I have to say this. Anyone will tell you that I was a little apprehensive of having five guys on the line for these shows and it was not the plan to do that every time but ... honestly, something has just clicked with this group. Johnny Sorrow has been a star on these shows, but everyone brings something to the table. Kelly the cool, studious Canadian, Pete is kinda pumped up and brings great energy, James is laid back and has that cool gravelly voice and delivers some knockout one-liners.

I never in a million years thought that talking about wrestling from 1979 could be this much fun. But this stuff has blown away my preconceptions and these guys have helped obliterate any concerns I had about this show being too similar to WTBBP by giving it a totally different vibe and feel. So thanks for the time you give to this and I'm genuinely looking forward to plowing on through the set and seeing what Kelly and James have planned for the specials.

Re: MSG Curfew:

A classic example of the complete OPPOSITE of Chekov's Gun is Jim Ross' play-by-play of the Morales-Koloff title switch on the recent History of the WWE Championship DVD set.

It would have been one thing if the commentary was recorded live as it happened THAT night, but obviously this was a new track put down by Ross for the DVD, but he mentions the curfew of the era early on in the match, but A. never mentions the context, in other words what time the match started at as compared to whatever the curfew time was, and more importantly B. the curfew didn't even play into the finish of the match!

Don't get me wrong, its a solid job by one of the best in the business, but its funny to hear a tidbit thrown in like that with no context or that would have an affect on the story of the match!

Highlights from this show.

- The Horrible full house joke

- Kelly's awesome Denucci bio

- Pete overall bringing the jokes on this episode (The Pollak joke was awesome)

- Johnny's Albano impersonation is spot on

- I had an uncle that could open a beer with his eyebrows (I cant tell you how many body parts raced through my mind while Parv said this sentence, but eyebrow wasn't one of them)

I know Scott and Justin met Vlad at Wrestlecon while i was at Shimmer and they said he was awesome. I think another memorable fan that seems like a lot of fun is the pink/neon green wearing couple that were supposedly higher ups at some charity or something.

Couple long form points:

1. I agree with Pete's assessment on the parity of a match. As long as the overall story being told seems conceivable, I don't need a match to be a your turn, my turn affair but I also have some troubles with the WWF structure when it becomes 80% dominated by a babyface. I understand that WWF traditionally more than any other promotion can be babyface oriented but it can seem a little one sided.

2. I was glad that Johnny explained that Volkolff was leaving the territory and thats why Bruno buried him. I disagree with the notion that if the crowd pops, it worked as a reasonable discussion in this type of forum. No one is listening to these shows to get a sense of what the crowd really popped for or not, they are wanting to hear the opinions on the matches and information on the cards that will be revisionist in nature. I have no problem putting crowd heat as a metric you use when evaluating a match(even though its minimal for me).

Is this going to be a once a week show? Curious as I look forward to a new episode on teh weekends as yardwork / driving / housework flys by listening to these...

I will re-state what others have said...you have taken an era of WWWF TV and non main event stuff that I really had no care for and made me want to see it..

Curious how you all feel about the first Patterson / Backlund match being better than the much more famous cage match.

I listen to podcasts on Downcast's triple speed feature.

Does that mean we all sound like Chipmunks? I can't even imagine.

Johnny is Alvin, Kelly is Simon, Shoe is Theodore and James is "Dave". Or, as much as I hate him*, I could be Alvin and Johnny can be every single other voice in the entire show.

Still, triple speed?!!

* I never liked the characters you were meant to like. Alvin in that. Michelangelo in Turtles (total douche!), Scrappy Doo. You name it, I took against them. I always liked to go for the "thinking-man's choice": Simon in Chipmunks, Donatello in the Turtles, Egon in Ghostbusters, Freddie in Scooby Doo, Tygara in Thundercats, Man-at-Arms in He-Man. And I often rooted for the villains.

Is this going to be a once a week show? Curious as I look forward to a new episode on teh weekends as yardwork / driving / housework flys by listening to these...

I will re-state what others have said...you have taken an era of WWWF TV and non main event stuff that I really had no care for and made me want to see it..

Curious how you all feel about the first Patterson / Backlund match being better than the much more famous cage match.

We didn't do one this week, but we're going to crank them out as time permits.

We didn't do one this week, but we're going to crank them out as time permits.

SCUBA STEVE.....DAMN YOU!

(Sandler reference if anyone is wondering)