Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 53

On Episode 53 of the Wrestling Culture podcast, Dylan Hales and I are joined by the gentlemanly scholar,Mr. Tim Livingston!!! We discuss the wonderful year in wrestling that was 2013. The recording of the show was missing in action the last couple of days but thankfully went up today. A great time had by all.

Wrestling Culture Episode 53

I was seriously SOOOO excited to see this, and the running time, honestly (If I'm only getting you guys once every six weeks or so, I want the time to be immersive, detailed, and all-encompassing). I downloaded the 2011, 2012, AND 2013 versions. So far I've listened to '12 and I'm about to finish '13. Love you guys every time you do a show, but especially the year reviews w/ Tim. these are awesome references that you can listen to every few years that go in-depth in a way you might not be able to if you did a year in review of say 2012, but looking back and recording it in 2018. Now, don't get me wrong - Those types of shows from the people here (PTBN, Will/Charles/Childs, and/or Wrestling Culture are scary good, but there's a detailed, raw emotional connection that comes out in the opinions and meticulous details when these things are recorded and preserved IN THE MOMENT. So thanks a ton, guys. You know I'm on that BIGGEST fans list. Always pushing you guys to friends, acquaintances, and media types.

Pretty excited about this - Place to Be Nation is thrilled to welcome the Wrestling Culture Podcast to the PTBN family.

We're working on an official spiffy logo but didn't want to hold off sharing this news.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-culture

We've got the latest episode up as well as a number of personally-selected episodes by Dylan and Dave!

Pretty excited about this - Place to Be Nation is thrilled to welcome the Wrestling Culture Podcast to the PTBN family.

We're working on an official spiffy logo but didn't want to hold off sharing this news.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-culture

We've got the latest episode up as well as a number of personally-selected episodes by Dylan and Dave!

Well that's certainly a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

I always love this show because during the year I pretty much only watch RAW and this show only had great recommendations for the rest of 2013. I can already thank Tim for a badass Cesaro/Ziggler match.

The one omission I thought was the Cena/Punk Free TV match, I thought that was a great blowoff match for one of the longest running feuds in recent history. It would make my top ten, but I have barely watched the amount of wrestling from 2013 you all have, Just wondered what your thoughts were on that one.

Great podcast! It was a lot of fun listening to it. It was great to see the Regal/Ohno get so much love. It was my number one for the year, but I hadn't seen it on anyone's list yet so I vthought maybe I was really overrating it. Not seeing the overrated Undertaker/Punk match on your lists was refreshing too.

Hey any chance guys might be able to share a list of best matches for a handy reference?

Sorry for the late response. My list was as follows with the honorable mentions not really ranked in order but there for posterity:

Matches of the Year

1. Regal/Ohno - Taped for April 10, NXT

2. Rhodes Brothers/Shield - Battleground

3. Regal/Cesaro - Taped for December 25, NXT

4. Punk/Brock - SummerSlam

5. Zayn/Cesaro - Taped for August 21, NXT

6. Ibushi/Nakamura - August 4, NJPW

7. Casas/Dorada - June 2, CMLL

8. Rhodes Brothers vs. Ryback/Curtis Axel vs. Rey/Big Show vs. Real Americans - TLC

9. Bryan/Cena - SummerSlam

10. Shield vs. Team Hell No/Undertaker - April 22, RAW

HM - Tanahashi/Ishii - August 2, NJPW

HM - Cena/Rollins - December 27, SmackDown!

HM - Daniel Bryan gauntlet vs. Swagger, Cesaro, Ryback - July 22, RAW

HM - Cesaro/Ziggler - August 26, Superstars

HM - Rush/Terrible - January 22, CMLL

Wrestlers of the Year

1. Antonio Cesaro

2. Daniel Bryan

3. Goldust

4. John Cena

5. Sami Zayn

6. William Regal

7. Negro Casas

8. Roman Reigns

9. Seth Rollins

10. Dean Ambrose

HM - Big E. Langston

HM - Rush

HM - Cody Rhodes

HM - C.M. Punk

HM - Tomohiro Ishii

Cesaro/Zayn is fuckin mind blowing awesome. Cesaro/Regal is great, but do have some quibbles. Can I just say how much the commentary was a boon to both those matches because I was going in cold and in both instances the commentary helped justify the work in the ring. Plus I loved the fact Tensai sounds just like my cousins from Dorchester.

Cesaro/Zayn is fuckin mind blowing awesome. Cesaro/Regal is great, but do have some quibbles. Can I just say how much the commentary was a boon to both those matches because I was going in cold and in both instances the commentary helped justify the work in the ring. Plus I loved the fact Tensai sounds just like my cousins from Dorchester.

You went into Cesaro/Zayn blind?

If you think it's mind-blowing, then you should go back and watch the 2-3 matches beforehand because so much of the match is built off spots in the previous matches.

• 4 months later...