Pro Wrestling Only

The Daniel Bryan Push Thread

Loss

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because more wrestling fans today might check the gossip sites than in the past, it doesn't mean they're all plugged into how much HHH holds people down. Hardy trending on Twitter because of a drunken brawl is totally different than people understanding the inner-workings of HHH being an asshole.

If Russell Wilson goes out and gets a DWI tomorrow, it will trend on every form of social media possible and appear on all types of mainstream news outlets. That doesn't mean a high percentage of people will understand how much of a risk Seahawks GM John Schneider took in a) drafting Wilson in the first place or B. waiting until the 3rd round to draft him when it was very plausible that someone could have snatched him up before that and his own coach wanted to pull the trigger in the second round.

But the Matt Hardy firing in 2005 DID have some crowd hi-jacking happening during Edge and Lita segments, which ended up leading to Matt getting rehired. In the same time period, HHH as Supreme Asshole Relying On Nepotism and Manipulation didn't get that same reaction. I'm not sure what the reason for that is, but I'll just say I don't think HHH's online rep carries enough juice to be something they are deliberately playing off of.

I've seen the Cole interviews. He's being a smarmy and insincere figurehead for sure, and I cop to those segments being effective. But HHH's online rep isn't that he's smarmy and insincere.

Frankly, this is all speculation across the board.

Something is different. Or it isn't. The demographic change may matter. Or it may not. To me, the people who stick around week in and week out are the ones who are the loyal fans, the base that they can't alienate no matter what. My gut says that there are a number in that group who are kids and a number who are really casual and just watch it every Monday because it's part of their routine but that a huge chunk of the people Vince simply can't run off are tuned in enough to know this.

I haven't the slightest idea though.

I think we need to find some casual fans and poll them. Anyone know any? I sure don't. Frankly, there's not really anyone in my life that I interact with that isn't a hardcore fan of SOMETHING.

I think we need to find some casual fans and poll them. Anyone know any? I sure don't. Frankly, there's not really anyone in my life that I interact with that isn't a hardcore fan of SOMETHING.

I know several. None of them have any idea what HHH does behind the scenes. They just crack jokes bout all the HGH he must eat for breakfast.

I think the point of it all is that regardless of Hunter/Steph's intentions with the promos - play to the internet, put themselves over, harm Bryan, make DB a popular underdog or whatever the fuck they are trying to do - that kinda interview doesn't work when you wanna make someone a legit drawing star. Right?

I don't think the majority of fans think wrestling is real or anything like that, but if HHH's rep was this known thing among WWE fans, he would have been dealing with hi-jacked crowds during his babyface run. And he wasn't.

His most recent babyface run? The fans sure as hell didn't want to give him the standing ovation after the Brock match that it was obvious he was supposed to get.

This could also be because he's a terrible babyface, and not nearly as beloved as many other older generation WWE stars would be in this same position.

There is a difference between "casual viewers" and "casual fans". I have a friend who has watched the Rumble with us every year for the past five years and is legitimately entertained. She has no interest in seeing wrestling more than once a year, and roots for the workers associated with pop culture (Rock, Cena, The Miz). She is a "casual viewer", aware of the product and doesn't despise it but not something she would go out of her way to watch.

I'd venture to say that my core group of male friends between the ages of 25 and 35 are all "casual fans" who watch the Rumble and WrestleMania no matter what and will spring for SummerSlam if it looks promising. They all consider themselves "hardcore fans" due to their connection with the product during the Era and as kids.

It is worth noting that all of these people are "smart" to the business but do not follow the websites as far as I know.

I also have 3-4 legitimate "hardcore fans" who are into indie/puro, read the sites, know who Daniel Bryan is & are generally frustrated with the product.

I don't know anyone who watches RAW every week.

There is a difference between "casual viewers" and "casual fans". I have a friend who has watched the Rumble with us every year for the past five years and is legitimately entertained. She has no interest in seeing wrestling more than once a year, and roots for the workers associated with pop culture (Rock, Cena, The Miz). She is a "casual viewer", aware of the product and doesn't despise it but not something she would go out of her way to watch.

I'd venture to say that my core group of male friends between the ages of 25 and 35 are all "casual fans" who watch the Rumble and WrestleMania no matter what and will spring for SummerSlam if it looks promising. They all consider themselves "hardcore fans" due to their connection with the product during the Era and as kids.

It is worth noting that all of these people are "smart" to the business but do not follow the websites as far as I know.

I also have 3-4 legitimate "hardcore fans" who are into indie/puro, read the sites, know who Daniel Bryan is & are generally frustrated with the product.

I don't know anyone who watches RAW every week.

How do they feel about HHH?

Every fan I know goes to news sites and not one of them would be considered a hardcore fan by our standards.

Perhaps not hardcore by PWO standards. But there is nothing casual about a fan who regularly goes to wrestling news sites.

I considered myself among the most hardcore until I started posting here. Now I consider myself a padawan at best.

Every fan I know goes to news sites and not one of them would be considered a hardcore fan by our standards.

Perhaps not hardcore by PWO standards. But there is nothing casual about a fan who regularly goes to wrestling news sites.

I considered myself among the most hardcore until I started posting here. Now I consider myself a padawan at best.

Join the club.

PWInsider:

Major creative meetings have been held within WWE regarding WrestleMania plans but no big changes are expected. It looked like they might be be leaning towards Daniel Bryan vs Kane - but the plans still seems to be Bryan vs HHH. If that does happen, no one seems to expect Bryan to win.

You know, maybe we're viewing this angle wrong. We think Bryan is somewhat reprising the role of Austin as held-down guy who proves the bosses wrong, but maybe this story is actually playing toward sociopaths with Triple H as the face as the ruthless, ego-driven parvenu and Bryan is the heel for threatening the ruthless, ego-driven parvenu's well crafted political machine with genuine talent and likable authenticity. We think the Royal Rumble was a missed opportunity for a huge babyface triumphal feel good moment, but maybe it was, and not being sociopaths we just don't see it. And Wrestlemania will be the ultimate happy ending when Triple H goes over.

There is a difference between "casual viewers" and "casual fans".

How do they feel about HHH?

Well, everyone loves the Motorhead entrance and he's generally respected as an in-ring performer. I don't know anyone who would torture themselves with those 30 minute interview segments on RAW. Outside of that, we mostly just laugh at his backstage antics because like I said, none of us watch on a weekly basis so no one feels invested in the product.

I have one friend who doesn't even know Daniel Bryan and is probably gonna be very weirded-out come Mania.

HHH vs Bryan hasn't even been announced yet, so I don't want to get too upset about something that may or may not even happen. That said, I have to say that if the crowd reactions and metrics they follow are this disparate, then maybe there's something wrong with their methodology and they should be asking themselves why that is the case and trying to get to the root of it instead of rationalizing it away. There's no reason that the people who fans pay to see shouldn't get the biggest reaction. It's been that way for most of wrestling history.