Pro Wrestling Only

The Daniel Bryan Push Thread

Loss

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday's WWE RAW from Los Angeles averaged 4.329 million viewers, up 3% from the 4.210 million viewers the show drew the previous week.

The first hour averaged 4.499 million viewers, the second hour averaged 4.336 million viewers and the final hour averaged 4.153 million viewers.

Again, with no quarter hours is kinda pointless but it's still the same pattern. Compared to last week, the last hour only had 170k more viewers, that doesn't say much honestly.

It's kind of funny how the ratings trend has shifted. When Raw originally went to 3 hours, the first hour was the lowest rated and they would always load up the 9 o'clock segment. Now I'm not sure what they can do to redeem the 3rd hour. It seems like it doesn't really matter who they put in the main event, it's been Cena, Orton, Bryan, Punk etc. but nobody is bucking the trend. The show is just too long and obviously they aren't doing a good enough making the people who watch the first 2 hours become emotionally invested in the main event.

3 hour Raw during the Attitude Era would have been REAL overkill but I still think people would have wanted to hang around to the end (or at least come back) to see what was going to happen between Austin and McMahon. Regardless of the quality of the shit happening on Raw in 99 at least it felt like shit was happening. Now we have a bunch of good matches but no one from the midcard ever has any character progression and the main eventers don't either really unless they have a turn coming up.

It's kind of funny how the ratings trend has shifted. When Raw originally went to 3 hours, the first hour was the lowest rated and they would always load up the 9 o'clock segment. Now I'm not sure what they can do to redeem the 3rd hour. It seems like it doesn't really matter who they put in the main event, it's been Cena, Orton, Bryan, Punk etc. but nobody is bucking the trend. The show is just too long and obviously they aren't doing a good enough making the people who watch the first 2 hours become emotionally invested in the main event.

3 hour Raw during the Attitude Era would have been REAL overkill but I still think people would have wanted to hang around to the end (or at least come back) to see what was going to happen between Austin and McMahon. Regardless of the quality of the shit happening on Raw in 99 at least it felt like shit was happening. Now we have a bunch of good matches but no one from the midcard ever has any character progression and the main eventers don't either really unless they have a turn coming up.

I think it took a while for people, creatures of habit, to remember that RAW started at 8pm every week after like years and years of it starting at 9. For a while after they went 3 hours they'd have a big spike at 9 from the regular audience tuning in. Cole was insufferable for a while trying to drill the 8pm start time into people's heads, but they had to do so. Heck, I'd even forget some weeks!

Now that it's been going for a while the audience knows to tune in by 8, and they know that 8, 9 and 10 will have the big segments, and that the third hour will be loaded with filler until the ME segment. There are huge drops and gains in the quarter segment ratings and it has less to do with any individual than it does the pacing and structure of the show, IMO. With Cena for example he does better ratings the earlier he's put on the show. WWE has realized this and had him open RAW and then not be seen again several times. When they did the 3 hour "JOHN CENA WILL BE HERE AT 11!" show it did absolutely nothing for the rating, as other people in this thread have noted.

Bottom line is 3 hours of wrestling is too long and a draggy chore to watch. 3 hour Nitros were interesting because they had such a large, diverse and talented roster....and you'd get a bit of everything thrown out there. Meng and Barbarian squashing some goofs, followed by a lucha 6 man, followed by nWo wackiness....it was wild. What I do like about the 3 hour RAWS is that it's forcing them to use all of their roster, and the emphasis on long matches simply because they need to fill time. I almost think they could stand to do more backstage and promo stuff, which I never thought I'd say about a modern WWE show. A lot of their tv audience is not most interested in bell to bell long wrestling matches. A lot of the live crowds are, but the tv audience is different. So I definitely think that's a factor in the ratings pattern, of people just getting bored with the long matches and less talking.

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahon/status/436229319107805184

Batista isn't going heel before a movie, and if I were Marvel, I'd have a big problem with it as well. But man is this going to make for an awkward Mania.

They just need to Wrestlemania X their way out of this, with Orton playing Yokozuna, Batista playing Luger, Bryan playing Bret, Triple H playing Mr. Perfect, and Kane playing Owen.

Just posting this so any rating discussion/panic is out of the window

According to TV By The Numbers, last Monday's RAW averaged 4.364 million viewers, up slightly from the 4.329 million viewers the show drew the previous week.

The first hour, which featured a lot of Daniel Bryan, averaged 4.662 million viewers. As has been the recent trend, the show fell from there. The second hour averaged 4.296 million viewers while the third hour drew 4.134 million viewers, an 11% drop from the first hour.

Similar trend as always with different names in different segments.