Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Infographic

dknick

So I am starting a new job next week and was just playing around with some software I use for it. I wanted to build a very simple infographic and settled on using WWE data (was tired of playing with normal business data). Anyway I used Meltzer star ratings as a means of calculating an overall 2013 WWE PPV MVP. While I usually don't pay much attention to the ratings, it at least offers a consistent and somewhat unbiased view towards performance. Anyway, I plugged the data in, messed with the filters and display some and was able to generate the below. I did set the criteria at a minimum of four appearances (thus no Lesnar, Rock or Undertaker). While is more just a fun little exercise for me, figured you all might enjoy seeing the results. So attached are the top 25 WWE PPV performers (at least in the eyes of Meltzer) from last year.

tumblr_n1m0ntsEl21tus274o1_1280.jpg

Dave thinks that Orton is one of the best guys in the WWE. He praises him all the time.

Did you send that on to Dave? That's the sort of thing he occasionally runs. I just want to see it out there for the world that Goldust is #1 and the Best.

He always refers to him as a great worker and praises his promos too. I don't get what he sees.

Goldust being on top doesn't surprise me given how great he's been during the comeback. The Usos, however, are much higher than I would have guessed.

I don't know if Henry was on the show he attended to be fair. And I think he was specifically referring to effort put out when the cameras aren't on more than he was talent in general.

He was basing it on that particular nights efforts only, and it was guys he & Steve Austin thought could be top guys in JCP. He said Orton could be third or fourth heel in the pecking order, and they agreed that Cesaro would make it but would need a partner like Eaton or a mouthpiece like Cornette.

I'll try to find the exact quote.

Here is the exact post dave made where this is coming from:

Austin and I had several e-mails back and forth after I went to the WWE house show over the weekend.

There are a lot of good technicians and the guys are in very good cardiovascular shape for the most part.

The number of guys on the card who aggressively had the drive to work like main eventers?
1 - Randy Orton

The number of guys on the card over like main eventers?
2- John Cena and Randy Orton

The number of guys who would have cracked the top tier in JCP in 1986?
1 - Randy Orton, maybe at a No. 4 heel level
2 - John Cena, at a Magnum T.A./Nikita Koloff level
3. - Antonio Cesaro, provided he had J.J. or Cornette to talk for him and had Bobby Eaton to oteam with him
4 & 5 - Ryback or Big E if Dusty liked them and gave them preferential booking, without it, no

Austin went out there and took it. Yes, they went all the way with him and could have killed him, but everyone is happy with their spot and doesn't step over their spot. Maybe Ziggler would be different but he wasn't on the show.

Whether the fire has been beaten out of them (what the wrestlers say) or they are complacent (what management would say and Jim Ross hints at it all the time, as does Austin), the end result is the same place, just how you view it.

Dave thinks that Orton is one of the best guys in the WWE. He praises him all the time.

Did you send that on to Dave? That's the sort of thing he occasionally runs. I just want to see it out there for the world that Goldust is #1 and the Best.

I want to alter the language in the header slightly and then I would be glad to. Thanks for the idea. I might do one of these every week or two if I have time. Don't want to infringe on mookieghana's gimmick though! :)

I think the deal with Henry is that MITB was SUCH a huge number and drew more than so many other things and Meltzer bases it almost all on Henry's promo/angle. It hits so many marks that matter to him when it comes to drawing/wrestler importance that he simply can't dismiss it without seeming totally hypocritical.

Dave said at the last house show he attended that Orton was the only who he thought was good enough in the ring that he could have worked in JCP. He said Cesaro only would have been able to if he teamed with Bobby Eaton.

If fairness that was the consensus Dave came with Steve Austin in a recent phone conversation.

Even with the context explained, if anybody - Meltzer, Austin, whomever - thinks that a guy with Ryback's size and charisma wouldn't have immediately had a rocket strapped to their ass, they're fucking morons. Ryback would have been Lex Luger in JCP.

Even with the context explained, if anybody - Meltzer, Austin, whomever - thinks that a guy with Ryback's size and charisma wouldn't have immediately had a rocket strapped to their ass, they're fucking morons. Ryback would have been Lex Luger in JCP.

The low end of the totem pole is the Warlord, who came in and was shipped off for a year for seasoning. Ryback wasn't as good as Luger but probably better than that.

The key thing to also remember is that they weren't teaching Luger to work like The Road Warriors or Nikita. Luger was told to emulate Flair in his working style and promos. That's why Luger sold a lot more than those guys. If Ryback would have been a Luger in JCP, he wouldn't have been booked as a monster muscleman. So yeah, I see him going the way of Warlord or Vladimir Pietrov too.