Pro Wrestling Only

What was the "main event" of Beach Blast 92?

Dylan Waco

It's funny cause Badlittlekitten mentioned Watts booking and it reminded me of Russo's shoot interview with Wade Keller. Russo basically said Watts took him under his wing when Watts worked for the brief time at WWE.

Obviously he didn't have enough time.

From what I remember from the shoot, by the end of Watts' employment, he used to bring Russo into the booking/creative meetings with McMahon and everybody. This is the time where Russo was writing for WWF magazine as Vic Venom. Russo said out of the blue, Watts was gone.

I guess it never dawned on Russo that it wasn't so much that Watts took him "under his wing" because he saw potential in him, as it was that Watts thought the editor of the magazine should know where the storylines are going, to keep the magazine as current as possible.

I don't like going by the video box because that is post-PPV when they know what matches paid off. If the ads had Steamboat-Rude as the main, no reason to disagree.

I don't think that's strictly true because of the turnaround time on those things. Case in point, the Halloween Havoc '95 VHS release lists Savage vs. Kamala on the back, even though the match was Savage vs. Luger. Unless there was a severe lack of communication (which I don't doubt), that cover must have been mocked up prior to Luger signing in September, in order to get the tape produced and released as efficiently as possible.

No time to pretty this up. hope it helps.

From May 18, 1992

The Beach Blast looks to be the toughest sell, since while Sting vs. Cactus Jack may be, the way it's set up, really entertaining, there's is no logical build-up for a guy who has been pretty much forgotten of late to be facing the company's biggest star. They're almost going to have to shoot a major angle at the Clash to heat up the Terry Gordy & Steve Williams vs. Steiner Brothers match, but that may be too late. So the brunt of the build-up and focus will be on the 30 minute whomever wins the most falls match with Rick Rude vs. Rick Steamboat. It's the strongest program the company has right now and on paper sounds like a very good match, but doesn't have much in the way of drawing power. Nor does anything else in the company right now, but this is the time period Kip Frey said he was expecting to see an improvement in interest during, and there's no signs of a turnaround evident nor even signs of momentum to begin a turnaround anywhere in sight. There are signs of some potentially good action, but it needs to be backed up by the ability to sell that good action.

From June 8, 1992:

Complete Beach Blast show on 6/20 on PPV has Steamboat vs. Rude in a 30 minute challenge, Steiners defending against Gordy & Williams, Eaton & Anderson & Austin vs. Rhodes & Windham & Koloff, Sting vs. Cactus Jack in falls count anywhere, Madusa vs. Missy Hyatt in a bikini posedown, Pillman vs. Flamingo for the lightheavyweight title, Simmons vs. Taylor and Bagwell vs. Valentine.

From June 15, 1992:

Advance for the 6/20 Beach Blast in Mobile, AL is pretty weak with approximately 900 tickets sold less than two weeks before showtime. Only early-line predictions are that the company will be happy with the buy rate if it stays steady with the last one and that Steamboat and Rude may tear the house down in the main event.

From June 22, 1992

For those in the area, Beach Blast starts at 4 p.m. and we'll be having a get together for the show.

From June 29, 1992

World Championship Wrestling's Beach Blast, its second show in an attempt to do PPV shows three consecutive months, took place 6/20 in Mobile, AL. The reaction to the show was generally positive. There was very little bad about the card, in fact, aside from the bikini contest, nothing was bad. There was nothing that blew ones socks off either aside from the performances of both Cactus Jack and Sting in their match. The rest of the show ranged from solid, average matches to solid, good matches with little else memorable. The live crowd was approximately 4,000, or about a half-filled building with the paid about 3,200 and the gate around $28,000 (all of these are estimates). While it's too early to get anything but a rough estimate, based on reports we had heard before the event and sketchy reports since the event, the show apparently did worse on PPV than the Wrestle War show on 5/17. That wasn't unexpected as I'd been told before the event that WCW officials realized there was no way to pull off so many PPVs in such a short time period and would be happy with an 0.5 buy rate (Wrestle War's 0.6 was the record low). Based on very preliminary information received thus far, the buy rate doesn't look to have approached 0.5, which doesn't bode well for attempting yet another PPV show in three weeks. Considering this show was bolstered by nice plugs in both USA Today and on Entertainment Tonight (both of whom interviewed Jesse Ventura who seems to be the only WCW performer who can get that kind of attention) in the days preceding the event, it again shows that this is one uphill battle.

Main Event - I'd say Steiners vs. MVC - It was the first "BIG" American match between them that everyone could see, since the Clash match was a few days later and setup the Tournament match to be more important...WHY THE FUCK that wasn't a Semi-Final or Final match at the 92 Bash tourney blows my mind...

This PPV is one of the best, but most forgotten, PPV"s ever. With the Clash right after it and then the GAB mere weeks later, this PPV was kind of "there" and gone..

But its a GREAT show with great matches.....

Guest The Jiz

If Sex, Lies, and Headlocks is correct on how Watts booked Mid South, I can see Russo taking a generic concept from Watts in finishing episodes with a climax yet, in Russo's own special way. It's not outside the realm of reason that Russo got the climax of episodes from Watts but totally misunderstood its application since his understanding of pro-wrestling is on a stupid freshman undergraduate level, as opposed to Cornette saying Russo's climaxes came from B-list movies. These things aren't unprecedented, like the failed military historian who happened to make a good career off of misunderstanding von Clausewitz. I wonder what the board thinks.

I'm probably going to go with the unpopular opinion and say it was either the match that went on last or Sting/Cactus and I definitely don't think it was Steamboat/Rude (though that match was probably my favorite match on the show).

You can argue the match that goes on last should be the main event though I understand that is flawed logic.

But I recall the promos for the ppv being all Sting/Cactus. Now I see that people are pulling up old commercials and old posters that say differently, but I just don't remember it that way. IIRC Sting was just basically THE headliner at the time in general.

It's a topic we've talked about before. Russo grew up on old WWWF that would run a big angle once a month or so. The in-ring action in the WWWF left a lot to be desired, yet the big angle was what everyone looked forward to. So he got his mentality there that no one cares about matches and wow, wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to wait on that one moment for the big angle because you were just getting them constantly?

What I find fascinating about Russo is that he NEVER changed his style, even when things were going bad, getting worse, and NEVER improving in terms of getting more fans or TV viewers in WCW OR TNA. Someone had to say things to him about things not going right or just not being good….Was he that into his own ideas that he didn't see what wasn't happening around him in ratings or popularity or did he think if he kept trying it would work?

I just never understood how he used the same philosophy over and over with no results outside the WWF years, where he didn't do it as the head.

The only time I ever found him even kind of good was in 2003 TNA…..but even that got old..

The main event of Beach Blast '92 was Steiners vs. Gordy/Doc. It was obvious to anyone watching at the time. In hindsight, Rude/Steamboat turned out to be a fantastic match, and the entire card was a very solid surprise show. The build to the tag main event however clearly was placed on top in the weeks leading to the match, and this is further defined by that match going on last.

The main event of Beach Blast '92 was Steiners vs. Gordy/Doc. It was obvious to anyone watching at the time. In hindsight, Rude/Steamboat turned out to be a fantastic match, and the entire card was a very solid surprise show. The build to the tag main event however clearly was placed on top in the weeks leading to the match, and this is further defined by that match going on last.

I agree with this, would definitely say the tag was the main event.

But how often up to 6/92 was a singles match involving the world champion not the main placement? Solely as far as what was pushed to sell the show, card placement posters/video boxes aside. Not suggesting it didn't happen because I haven't looked back at all but I can't recall instances where another match took the spotlight from the champ.