Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Finances

jdw

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mick Foley thinks part of the reason for the stock drop is because Triple H and Stephanie are too convincing as evil bosses and people can't tell the difference between the show and real life

Foley took a few too many chairshots to the head

I honestly think long-term this is going to be a blip on the radar for WWE going forward. They lost investor confidence, and it's their own fault for over promising, but these people who bought into the hype were, frankly, idiots. Anyone could analyze the WWE and see the peaks and valleys in stock price and business and come to the conclusion that it's a stock you should buy when it's low, sit on it, ride it, sell high on it....rinse, wash, repeat. The WWE's business model is profitable, diversified, and sustainable....and they have the built in advantage of essentially being a monopoly in the wrestling industry with no real competition in sight. Seemingly lost in the all the craziness and massive sell of of their stock now is that.......they did get a sizable increase in domestic tv rights. They did get a better deal in the UK. I don't doubt that they will get a better deal in India and other countries when deals come up. The Network start up costs are the big sunken cost on the books and they've been very up front about that. In time I expect the Network to be profitable, and I think they were ahead of the curve with it. And we all knew before it even started that there will be a gradual price increase on it.

Attracting corporate talent might be a short-term issue because at the moment WWE has the stink of failure on it, but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. And Vince/WWE have always been good at hunkering down during lean times, so if it comes to cutting costs on TV/live event production it will probably be minimal and barely noticeable to the average viewer

Now, they do need to keep putting on a good core product, and should probably be adding more varied content from their library onto the Network and pushing it more on TV. They need to work hard at this stuff. If Sting is really in the fold now.....promote the hell out of him and at the same time roll out old GCW/NWA/WCW content on the Network. Guarantee people will sign up for that stuff. Don't blow your load all at once......but start doing more to attract the supposed 50 million people with an "affinity" for pro-wrestling

How did no one in WWE see that launching the Network would negatively impact their TV deal? Clearly their ideal goal is to have Raw and Smackdown on the Network as soon as they can, and there's no way NBCU would go for that. Why would they want to give WWE more money to cushion the loss of PPV revenue when NBCU is owned by a major cable provider (Comcast)?

Clearly the company is undervalued due to the wrestling stigma, but if Vince actually honest-to-goodness thought tripling the rights fees was possible he's way more out of touch than anyone suspected.

How did no one in WWE see that launching the Network would negatively impact their TV deal? Clearly their ideal goal is to have Raw and Smackdown on the Network as soon as they can, and there's no way NBCU would go for that. Why would they want to give WWE more money to cushion the loss of PPV revenue when NBCU is owned by a major cable provider (Comcast)?

Clearly the company is undervalued due to the wrestling stigma, but if Vince actually honest-to-goodness thought tripling the rights fees was possible he's way more out of touch than anyone suspected.

I wouldn't say that they didn't see it, but they apparently underestimated the risk it posed. I wrote about this back in November - launching the WWE Network before they had secured the domestic TV deals (which would be needed to subsidize the launch for awhile) seemed foolish to me. It seemed doubly foolish when it was clear that the WWE Network was going to be over-the-top and they now appeared to be biting the hand that was feeding them.

Not only that, now there's a second law firm investigating them for potential securities fraud. It's becoming apparent that Vince either doesn't understand how the stock game operates or he's been a carny so long he thinks he can pull a work on Wall Street.

In fairness, I think most of this is hysterical overreacting from investors who don't understand WWE's core business. Vince is suffering for it without question and has made a few tactical mistakes, but this is all kind of a circus that started with the 60 million fans number. If people paid attention to the television ratings, they would know that number to be completely ridiculous.

Not only that, now there's a second law firm investigating them for potential securities fraud. It's becoming apparent that Vince either doesn't understand how the stock game operates or he's been a carny so long he thinks he can pull a work on Wall Street.

Am I reading this right, there are two separate firms investigating this?

Nothing is more carny with more works than Wall Street. But Vince is out of his carny league there. He's dealing with people who can actually win Senate races.

In fairness, I think most of this is hysterical overreacting from investors who don't understand WWE's core business. Vince is suffering for it without question and has made a few tactical mistakes, but this is all kind of a circus that started with the 60 million fans number. If people paid attention to the television ratings, they would know that number to be completely ridiculous.

The profitability of WWE's core business (house shows, merchandising, DVDs, licensing, etc) is declining, which is one of the things worrying investors. I'm not sure it really is hysterical overreacting when WWE's cash on hand is down to $87.3 million with projections of another $37-44 million in losses for the rest of the year and another $27 million in dividends to pay up. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room if the WWE Network takes longer to become profitable than expected.

The panic was a combination of under delivering on the network deal and revealing at the same time in their press release on the matter that (a) the Network now needed 1.3-1.4 million subscribers to break even and (B) the company was going to post a huge loss for the year as a whole. Most analysts thought that they'd lose money in the first two quarters, but make the losses back in the second two quarters of the year and break even for the year.

Vince & co. control enough of the stock that absent fraud, which there is no legitimate evidence of to this point, this is all just a cash grab by opportunistic third parties. Shareholder litigation is big business. They churn these things out like widgets, collect their fees and move onto the next one. There's a lot of noise because of the stock's rapid rise & fall. But last I checked its higher right now than it was a year ago. Hopefully folks in Stamford and their counsel take a deep breath and stay the course.

Good luck on the fraud. It will be pretty easy for Vince, and the rest of the people involved, to say that they truly believed they were going to double their US TV deal. I also think it's going to be hard to identify anything fraudulent that they've said/release relating to the Network. Lastly, I don't think there's anything out there on Vince and any of the other people involved dumping an unusual amount of WWE shares when the stock was up around $30. You might find some executive selling shares / options that they just exercised, but that's not terribly uncommon.

Agree with Winged that these are just trolling lawsuits. You have them in a variety of areas, such as shareholder lit trolls and patent lit trolls (probably the largest).

Good luck on the fraud. It will be pretty easy for Vince, and the rest of the people involved, to say that they truly believed they were going to double their US TV deal. I also think it's going to be hard to identify anything fraudulent that they've said/release relating to the Network. Lastly, I don't think there's anything out there on Vince and any of the other people involved dumping an unusual amount of WWE shares when the stock was up around $30. You might find some executive selling shares / options that they just exercised, but that's not terribly uncommon.

Doesn't appear so

http://www.insiderslab.com/PR4/WWE/

It is striking how much Stephanie dumped last year. The story that the money was being used to build a house always seemed fishy. Would make more sense if she was flipping it into safer investments

Doesn't appear so

It is striking how much Stephanie dumped last year. The story that the money was being used to build a house always seemed fishy. Would make more sense if she was flipping it into safer investments

No, it's not fishy at all, as she sold her stock before the huge increases.

Doesn't appear so

Steph has just been selling off the options that she exercised:

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/97/7437.html

15-May-13 420,000 WWE Option Exercise

01-Aug-13 328,000 WWE Option Exercise

02-Oct-13 505,000 WWE Option Exercise

The sales are just automated (which is not uncommon for insiders), and if you subtract the sales from the options, the end result is 0 shares.

Nothing fishy there. It ended up being a tidy $13,791,575... though if she hung onto them and sold them when the stock was at it's peak, she could have bagged more. About $8.5M came when the stock was in the $9 to $11 range.