Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #25: WWF at Madison Square Garden, December 29th 1980

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-25-wwf-at-msg-december-1980/

titans25.png

The Fab Four are back together once again to return to New York and wrap up 1980 for this MSG card from December 29th:

TONY GAREA/RICK MARTEL vs MOONDOGS TAG TITLE

BOB BACKLUND vs KILLER KHAN WWF TITLE

ANTONIO INOKI vs BOBBY DUNCUM

KEN PATERA vs PAT PATTERSON

On this show:

- Parv is back

- Bios for The Moondogs and Killer Khan

- Kal-tum Leap

- Good riddance to Antonio Inoki

- And Johnny has a special announcement

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Two quick things.

To kind of defend Parv, there was an anti-Japanese, they're going to take over sentiment in the mid to late 80's, fueled by things like Japanese investors buying Rockefeller Center and Sony buying Columbia. Plus, there was analysis showing Japan would pass the USA as the #1 economy by such and such date. I'm sure there are books published today that have just cut 'n' pasted China for Japan and released the same book. However, in the early 80's, there was still a feeling that Japanese products were kind of junk - it's part of the reason why Nintendo tried to hide the fact they were a Japanese company at the launch of the NES.

The World's Martial Arts Championship was a belt given to Inoki by McMahon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_World_Martial_Arts_Heavyweight_Championship). The NWF title was a separate belt that Inoki used as another personal title that was treated as the top belt, I think, in New Japan, before the creation of the IWGP title.

I cant believe no one mentioned Misawa dying in the ring.

Well, Johnny fantasy booked him losing to the Baron during the show. So there was that.

Actually, the whole "died in the ring" talk came and went so quick I barely had time to think of anyone. One that could have been mentioned on the show because of the Titans connection was Chick Garibaldi, who died in the ring during a match with a young Bruno Sammartino on February 18, 1961.

I did hear that and enjoyed the booking of the Japanese contingent. The Moondogs/Martel&Garea series has skyrocketed up the list of things I need to see especially for Vince's most human moment.

I also want to thank this show (I listened to #23-25 and they all ran together) for finally getting me to plop down and watch the first two Godfathers. I am a cinemaphobe. I could watch wrestling for 2-3 hours easy, but the prospect of giving up that much time to one movie is daunting. I figured Johnny quoted it enough due to Bruno that might as well see what all the fuss is about. The first one maybe the best damn movie I have ever seen. The second one could have been a lot tighter (but what do I know).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Glad to be back at MSG so I can watch the matches! Kal can't seem to stay away even if it is not in Philly! Parv returns and brings the spoilers for future shows! Would love to see video of that announcement about Moondog King getting hit by a car. Vince ripping on himself for the bad joke was hilarious. Opening match was great. Get a lot more out of the Moondogs in the ring. Really like Martel in this match. But was impressed with Garea coming in off those tags. He was really fired up. Looking forward to more matches. Well I laughed at Johnny's joke during Killer Khan bio. Nerveholds were starting to lose me during match but was a strong last few minutes. Thought Khan looked pretty strong surviving the piledriver and atomic drop. German suplex was sweet.

Pete times his exit perfectly before the Inoki match. I struggled getting through this one as kept falling asleep. Would go back and rewind and try watch from where I last remembered. Must have done this about three times. Was laughing when you guys couldn't remember the finish. Watched it last night and I don't remember. I was wrong on the finish for Patera/Patterson. I thought it was a silly finish with Patera getting counted out for being on apron and not in the ring. Lots of guys leaving with Patera going too.

Lots of laughs as usual. I cannot wait for the Kallies!