Pro Wrestling Only

Koko B. Ware

Lust Hogan

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Koko. He was always one of my favorites growing up watching WWF. I loved The Birdman gimmick and thought with a solid push considering how popular he was maybe he could have gotten the IC title. After watching the Memphis set my fondness for Koko grew and I thought he was much more versatile and a better worker than he is given credit for being. People always crap on his HOF induction but I had no issues with it.

What do you guys think of The Birdman??

unfortunately i haven't seen much memphis at all, heard he was awesome there

i always suspected his HOF induction was mainly for Piledriver, representing the last peak of rock 'n wrestling in a sense

he's also a strong example of how some guys can stay over even if they lose all the time. in his case he had a very memorable gimmick that was a lot of fun for the kids, so they'd always be into his matches just from that alone.

I never got into him, but I'm not sure that's entirely his fault. I only saw his WWF gimmick, and he was treated literally like a jobber at times. (I don't mean the JTTS treatment where he was still a star - I mean Brooklyn Brawler/Jim Powers levels of jobberdom. He even teamed with no-name "preliminary wrestlers" on Superstars or Challenge a few times. Jim Brunzell was eventually put in the same position too.) As a kid, I knew Koko wasn't a "threat" so I had no reason to invest in him. I also thought his "High Energy" team with Owen was lame and bland - a pale imitation of The New Foundation (Owen and Anvil), which I absolutely loved at the time. When he was announced for the WWE HOF, I scratched my head and wondered why. In retrospect, I understand it more now.

I really enjoy 90's Koko after he left WWF and was a bitter heel in Memphis. For example, in 1992 when he showed up at the Memphis Studio to accept Jerry Lawler's challenge vs any WWF guy. He cuts a good promo about Lawler and how WWF guys get disrespected. He would show up numerous times in the 90's, usually feud with Lawler. Like in 1996 when they feuded over a truck. Also, Koko Ware and Bobby Eaton is probably one of the most underrated tag teams ever.

I always thought his skill set was best served in a tag team. His team with Eaton from the footage out there was great. The PYT Express was another strong tag team. They had that killer match with Gilbert/Rich. He was great at taking a back drop. He got serious air on it.

There's a WWF squash where the jobber takes some liberties and gets a bit too much offense and Koko just beats the ever loving hell out of him that's odd to watch. Poor guy must have been terrified going up for the Ghostbuster.

Koko even lost his debut match, a tag against the Hart Foundation, which must be a rarity for someone the WWF pushed at first. I like his matches with Rude particularly for some reason.

There's a WWF squash where the jobber takes some liberties and gets a bit too much offense and Koko just beats the ever loving hell out of him that's odd to watch. Poor guy must have been terrified going up for the Ghostbuster.

Ware is an awesome squash match worker. I remember there being one squash of his in the extras of the Memphis set where he just brutalized this masked jobber before dropping him with a Brainbuster, much like you described. It felt like one of those Jushin Liger vs low ranked junior squashes.