Pro Wrestling Only

Blood, Guts, Powder, and Flames

jpchicago23

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to get people's opinions but I might also add some brutal angles that are semi brawls. Like some Horsemen beatdowns or the Sullivan Kanemura stuff. It could just be considered in the extras. I have most of the footage on my lists so I might start looking for someone to help make them unless I can myself.

Did Foley vs. Orton from Backlash '04 make the list? Maybe I skimmed over it, but I didn't notice it. Definitely fits the bill though. They even have the blinding powder spot!

I see you have the James Storm and Chris Harris match, but I think the Cowboy is a boss in gimmick matches. I know a lot of people don't care for his work. But I say the guy's A-okay, especially when there's plunder to be found and flung around. Plus he's just one of my personal favorite bleeders out there.

So yeah. On that note, I'll toss a few more longshots out there for ya to scope out...

- James Storm vs. Gunner - I Quit Match @ Sacrifice 2014

- James Storm vs. Gunner - Last Man Standing in a Steel Cage (I know, I know) @ Lockdown 2014

- James Storm vs. Bobby Roode - Street Fight at Bound For Glory 2012

Oh. And there's this insanely overbooked mess of a trios match pitting Jeff Jarrett & America's Most Wanted vs. Rhino & Team 3D from Genesis 2005 that is absolute entertainment. It's crazy brawling with obvious pre-planned spots placed throughout, but it's got an elevated energy to it. Fun, frantic violence in a time and place when TNA was still flexible and open to a little creativity here & there.

That's great stuff. Storm is actually my favorite guy in TNA and possibly in all of TNAs existence. He seems like he would've fit in the USWA in the 90s. He's a great brawler too and I agree that he is one of the better bleeders out there. A racially fueled LA Park vs Storm feud ending in a hair vs mask match would be so damn good. Jarrett or someone needs to make that happen just for me thinking of it

Ohmygoddamngod.

That seriously sounds like six shades of gold and all kinds of awesome. I'm already sold on it.

For the most mileage, better bring in a revolving door of mystery partners and whatnot. Cover the whole spectrum with a supporting cast of Bobby Roode, Gunner, Mini Park, La Parka II, Super Parka, Black Spirit, and hell. Go grab Wildcat Chris Harris out of whatever Kentucky flea market he frequents for a one-shot deal.

Make it a real blood feud. No less than a trilogy will do. So yeah. Let's get this booked.

Yeah. You'd really have to tread carefully with that stuff. It could turn into strictly a death match compilation QUICK.

I'd rather see non-death match brawls myself. Death matches are sort of their own niche and get way over the top with gore and bloodshed at times. They'd likely overshadow some of the "better" brawls in that sense.

Maybe include a couple - the cream of the crop - and I'd certainly use some of the suggestions from the ROH/CZW war. The Anatomy of a Feud set they put out on it is fairly easy to come by for footage purposes.

I second the mention of that Funk vs. Hansen match from All Japan, but for some reason a much lesser match from the same promotion in the same time frame stands out to me as being particularly heated, despite it being ...

Bruiser Brody vs. Dory Funk Jr.

There's also a Dory vs. Jerry Lawler match from around 80 or 81 that is really heated too. For all his rep as a technician, boring Dory was pretty good in a brawl.

Yea when I think death matches I think of two meth heads cutting the hell out of each other. There will still be bloody and almost gory stuff like the war of the wire and the Sabu Terry Funk stuff. At least there is some story telling in that. I'm sure there are some solid death matches but I agree that it is its own niche.

One question I do have is, should I include stuff like the first two TLCs and the Taker Foley HIAC just so the historic stuff is covered or is that too spot heavy?

At the very least, the first HIAC with Taker vs Shawn HAS to be on there. I vote no on Taker vs Mankind, it's more of a story of Mankind's surival rather than any great brawl. But I'm not gonna gripe with anyone who desires for it to be included, I get the historical importance.

I can take or leave the TLC's. I enjoy spotfest matches for what they are. I feel like if one is included, they all need to be to have some perspective on how they all played off each other (this includes the long-forgotten TLC 3 with Jericho and Benoit defending their titles.)

I have the first HIAC and the Benoit Jericho TLC already I was just iffy on the others. I don't necessarily feel brawl when I think of the first two TLCs but I can see it being on there too. Depends on feedback I guess.

On a side note I think there's definitely going to be an extras disc or two of backstage brawls, beatdown angles and stuff like that

If you're going as recent as Payback with Cena and Bray, then I feel confident in tossing the Briscoes against Matt Hardy & Mike Bennett match from Best in the World out there for consideration. Maybe it doesn't deserve to make the cut, and in all fairness - I can understand if it doesn't. But man. It's one heck of a fun brawl.

Starts off slow with the standard tag, but once Nigel steps in and deems it No DQ? All bets are off. Dem boys pull off a whole collage of cool spots. High on impact and heavy on energy throughout the rest of the fight. It's a beat-em-up, smash-mouth, fast-paced approach - and it all clicks.

We see a Froggie 'Bow through a table, a Doomsday Device on the floor, some typical ladder work, Matt getting slammed through a makeshift bench built out of chairs, a Superplex off the ladder down through a table, a fire extinguisher spot, involvement from Maria, and even Nick Searcy getting thrashed around like a frog in a blender. It's great stuff. And sure. It sort of benefits from the idea that it just kind of sprang up out of nowhere. But I don't care. I dug it.

As far as more ROH and indies go, ya might wanna scope out the Austin Aries/Jimmy Jacobs trilogy as well. They waged war in an Anything Goes environment, a Dog Collar bout that I remember being bloody and brutal, and the I Quit finale - which MAY suffer from being a tad too angle intensive.

I honestly don't want to hype or pimp it too much, since I haven't revisited the stuff in YEARS. But I do recall liking a lot of what they were doing at the time, although that could (admittedly) be due to how much I was enjoying the nature of the Age of the Fall angle back then also. So ya never know.

Also might take a look back at the RVD vs. Test and RVD vs. Bob Holly matches from early phase of the ECW relaunch. Both were contested under Extreme Rules, and I remember fans going big time bananas over 'em online back when they occurred. The Holly match, of course, has the nasty visual of Holly's back being sliced wide open for the world to see. All I remember off top about the Test match was a lot of stuff centering around the ring steps & some heavy involvement from Heyman's riot squad.

The Briscoes versus Hardy & Bennett is all very sleek, clean, and streamlined. It's not frantic, barroom brutality. It's a slick production piece, and it almost carries a different type of feel to it from the usual Briscoes brawls as a result.

Don't go into it with extremely high expectations or anything, but it's pure fun for sure. I'd basically say - if there's any possible way of pulling off a "PG" breed of Briscoes match, then THIS was it. Hard to describe or properly put into words, but it's just a bunch of piled up high spots that come across JUST chaotic enough. It's movie stunt scene car crash, as opposed to real life wreckage.

I second the mention of that Funk vs. Hansen match from All Japan, but for some reason a much lesser match from the same promotion in the same time frame stands out to me as being particularly heated, despite it being ...

Bruiser Brody vs. Dory Funk Jr.

There's also a Dory vs. Jerry Lawler match from around 80 or 81 that is really heated too. For all his rep as a technician, boring Dory was pretty good in a brawl.

Parv, were all of those matches in AJ or just the first two and the latter in Memphis? That Dory/Lawler brawl intrigues me