Pro Wrestling Only

Blood, Guts, Powder, and Flames

jpchicago23

So i've decided to create a project on some of the best brawls of all time and some that maybe arent so great but are at least fun.I think eventually i'm going to make this a comp. I've limited this to mainly NA matches with the exception of a couple of Japanese matches that have American wrestlers. I have a pretty big list below and i'm looking to compile at least 150 matches. Definitely need suggestions on some Puerto Rico stuff and some southern stuff that i dont have listed. If there's something glaring that i'm missing please let me know. I'm also limiting this to the 80's onward. I know there's a lot of stuff i'm missing especially from indies and the like so any suggestions are welcome.

Bob Backlund vs Ken Patera 5/19/80

Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk 3/32/81

Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk 4/6/81

Pat Patterson vs Sgt. Slaughter- 4/21/81

Andre the Giant vs Stan Hansen- 9/23/81

Jerry Lawler vs Dutch Mantell- 3/22/82

Final Conflict- 3/12/83

The Fabs vs The Moondogs- 5/23/83

Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee- 6/6/83

Freebirds vs Von Erichs- 7/4/83

MS-1 vs Sangre Chicana- 9/23/83

Sgt. Slaughter vs Iron Sheik- 6/16/84

Terry Gordy vs Killer Khan- 11/22/84

Ted Dibiase vs Jim Duggan- 3/22/85

The Fabs vs The Sheepherders- 8/6/85

Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA- Starrcade 85

Jim Duggan vs Buzz Sawyer- 12/27/85

Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee- 12/30/85

Wargames 87

Terry Funk vs Ric Flair- 11/15/89

Vader vs Stan Hansen- 2/10/90

Doom vs Windham and Anderson- Starrcade 1990

Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter- 5/18/91

War Games 92

Sting vs Cactus Jack- 6/20/92

Vader vs Sting- 2/21/93

Dirty White Boy vs Tracey Smothers- 4/2/93

Vader vs Cactus Jack- 10/24/93

HBK vs Razor Ramon- Mania 10

Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck- 4/17/94

Tully Blanchard vs Terry Funk- 5/22/94

Nasty Boys vs Cactus Jack and Kevin Sullivan- 5/22/94

Wargames 1994

The Gangstas vs The Thugz- 5/20/95

The Pitbulls vs Raven and Stevie Richards- 6/95

British Bulldog vs Bret Hart- IYH 5

Steven Regal vs Fit Finlay- 3/24/96

Diesel vs HBK- IYH 7

Chris Beniot vs Kevin Sullivan- 6/16/96

HBK vs Mankind- Mind Games 96

Tommy Rich vs Terry Funk- Crossing the Line again 97

Final Four match- 2/16/97

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin- Mania 13

Ken Shamrock vs Vader- Cold Day in Hell 97

Randy Savage vs DDP- 6/15/97

Chris Benoit vs Meng- GAB 97

HHH vs Cactus Jack- Raw 97?

HBK vs Undertaker- Badd Blood 97

Savage vs DDP- 10/26/97

Raven vs Benoit vs DDP- 3/15/98

Steve Austin vs Dude Love- Over the Edge 98

RVD vs Jerry Lynn- 5/16/99

HHH vs Cactus Jack- Rumble 00

Steve Corino vs Tajiri- Hardcore Heaven 00

Benoit vs Jericho- Rumble 01

HHH vs Austin- No Way Out 01

Austin HHH vs Jericho Benoit- 5/21/01

Austin vs Angle- Summerslam 01

HBK vs HHH- Summerslam 02

Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar- 10/20/02

Eddie Guerrero vs Brock Lesnar- No Way Out 04

Eddie Guerrero vs JBL- 5/16/04

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher- IWA-MS 6/11/05

Tanaka vs Awesome- 6/12/05

Homicide vs Colt Cabana- 1/4/06

Edge vs Mick Foley- Mania 22

Team ROH vs Team CZW- 7/15/06

Bryan Danielson vs Nigel Mcguinness- 08/12/06

Super Dragon vs Necro Butcher- PWG 9/2/06

John Cena vs Umaga- Rumble 07

Jimmy Jacobs vs BJ Whitmer- 03/31/07

James Storm vs Chris Harris- 5/13/07

Briscoes vs Steenerico- 9/15/07

Chris Jericho vs HBK- 10/5/08

Bryan Danielson vs Takeshi Morishima- 12/27/08

Kurt Angle vs Jeff Jarrett- 1/11/09

Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk- Summerslam 09

Steen and Corino vs Generico and Cabana- 4/24/10

LA Park vs La Parka- Triplemania 2010

Kevin Steen vs El Generico- Final Battle 2010

Briscoes vs ANX- 5/21/11

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar- Extreme Rules 12

CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan- MITB 12

CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar- Summerslam 13

Angle vs Mcmahon- 6/24/01

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it doesn't have any American wrestlers, I do think Onita/Goto vs Dragon Master/Kurisu from FMW on 4/1/90 would be right at home with this group of matches. It was four guys in street clothes with kneepads on their jeans smacking each other with cowboy boots and bleeding all over the place.

I'd also add El Dandy vs El Satanico from 12/14/90 which for my money is the best lucha brawl of all time.

Since there are some War Games matches here, I'd also add that the Elimination Chamber from New Years Resolution 2005 is a great match and a hell of a brawl all around too.

Also, Jericho/Storm vs Heavenly Bodies from SMW Night of the Legends 8/5/94 is probably a good pick if only for Jericho's bladejob gone horribly wrong.

Some of these aren't particularly great, but this is just so you can get your feet wet and get an idea of what's out there for Puerto Rican wrestling:

Carlos Colon vs. Stan Hansen cage match from 1987:

Abdullah the Butcher vs. Bruiser Brody:

Carlos Colon vs. Jason the Terrible barb wire match from 1989:

Carlos Colon vs. Chicky Starr cage match from 1986:

Ricky Banderas and Shane vs. Chicky Starr and Victor the Bodyguard from 1/6/2002:

As you've got Wargames 87, 92 and 94 on the list. You need to include 91 as well. It told a great story and had stand out performances from Brian Pillman and Barry Windham.

The Eddie Gilbert/Cactus Jack series from TWA in 1990/91 needs to be represented. It got alot of press at the time. Got both men job offers from WCW, although Gilbert turned them down, and really was a precursor to ECW.

Speaking of Cactus. There needs to be one of his matches with Sabu on there. As that was the hardcore dream match at the time. Also if you're going to put the Broad Street Bully Brawl from Slamboree on. Then you really need to include the Falls Count Anywhere Street Fight from Spring Stampede. That match really did blow people away at that time and was the the talk of the wrestling world. And the matches work as a pair

I know you want to limit it to NA with a few exceptions. But Funk/Onita as the most famous Bomb match and the KOTD match tournament as the peak of that stuff maybe warrent a mention.

Yea thanks for reminding me of Gilbert vs Jack. Funk Onita fits I think as does Cactus Sabu from 94? That's my goal of this thread is for help on stuff ive missed or forgotten. The list is to help people get an idea of the direction. There can be some Japan stuff as long as it fits and both recommendations have

Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen AJPW 9.11.82

Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen AJPW 4.14.83

Nick Bockwinkel vs Wahoo McDaniel AWA 8.28.83

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr. vs Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy AJPW 8.30.83

All of these are really good, especially the second Hansen/Funk match. I think that's one of the greatest matches ever. I think all of these clock in between 10 & 15 minutes.

The Funks vs. Sheik/Abdullah. All three matches from 1977-79 really. Some of Terry Funk's best babyface work.

Also there are the Tupelo Concession Stand Brawls. Here's the original. Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Wayne Ferris & Larry Latham (6/15/79)

There is so much PR that could be dumped into this thread. The Colon/Hansen stuff is the best, but the Colon v. Ayala feud is incredible too. Colon and Abby's insane match from 91 that is on youtube is there best bout, and among the best and most unique brawls I've seen. I may comb through the PR thread soon because there is some other stuff from the early 90's that I remembered thinking was excellent. Invader 1 and Eric Embry had an awesome brawl down there as well that comes to mind from the late 80's.

LA Park v. Mesias both I and II are matches I prefer to the LA Park v. La Parka, and the first of those is probably one of the best five-ten singles matches I've seen in the last five years.

And then there is this which is one of my favorite matches of all time.

Angel Blanco Jr./El Hijo del Solitario v. El Hijo Del Santo/Villano IV TXT 2/25 YES

Fucking five thousand times YES. I will wait for the pro-shot to be sure, but right now I have this ahead of Casas v. Panther fairly easily. That is not a knock on Casas v. Panther either, this match is just fucking awesome. Totally wild, escalating brawl, with all four guys juicing, some of the nastiest punches ever, some crazy spots and a great finish.

Villano IV was just insanely great here hitting two wild topes where he splatted on the floor, eating some sick chairshots, selling gut kicks and punches like he was being crippled with pancreatitis, showing awesome fire and his own brand of stiffness during the face come back, clinging onto dudes for single legs when he had nothing left to give, et. On top of this the visual of his bloody head was insane as it looks like Abdullah the Butcher after taking shrapnel from a clusterbomb.

The rudos were really tremendous asskickers here, stalking around like total pricks and throwing some savage shots. Blanco has an awesome standoff exchange with Villano IV both during the match and in the tremendous post match brawl that are up there with my favorite moments in wrestling in the last ten years. Solitaro has been a great foil for Santo over the last couple of years and really was tremendous, coming off as a guy livid at the existence of Santo in particular. At one point he crushes him with a punch to the chest that Santo sells like Solitaro is Ox Baker and he is a desperate Fritz Von Erich trying to get more cash flow to pay off his kids coke debts. Later he takes an awesome bump off of a revenge chairshot and his timing on that finishing spot was perfect.

Speaking of which Santo was fucking Santo. He is the real deal. He can take punishment, bleed buckets, hit his highspots, sell his ass off, make his comebacks, et and it never stops being exciting. His dives looked great, he had the aforementioned Fred Sanford sell job, he was just right at playing the victim but without relinquishing the nobility of his name and act. And man that finish. What a champ to take that chairshot and splat after that much blood loss and that crazy a match. Getting stretched pretty tightly for the fall was a nice sacrifice as well.

Post-match brawl with blood soaked guys competing to get hepatitis by smacking each others heads around was also tremendous.

Good luck topping this 2012

Hansen vs. Kawada Feb. 1993. I honestly think it's become my favorite 1993 AJPW match. The brawling through the streamers to open, the unbelievable selling of the shots throughout by Kawada and Hansen, just so much to love. I just find something new to enjoy every time I watch it.

And on the indie front, Homicide vs. Steve Corino from Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies in 2003 is really good.

http://vimeo.com/54559163

There is so much PR that could be dumped into this thread. The Colon/Hansen stuff is the best, but the Colon v. Ayala feud is incredible too. Colon and Abby's insane match from 91 that is on youtube is there best bout, and among the best and most unique brawls I've seen. I may comb through the PR thread soon because there is some other stuff from the early 90's that I remembered thinking was excellent. Invader 1 and Eric Embry had an awesome brawl down there as well that comes to mind from the late 80's.

LA Park v. Mesias both I and II are matches I prefer to the LA Park v. La Parka, and the first of those is probably one of the best five-ten singles matches I've seen in the last five years.

And then there is this which is one of my favorite matches of all time.

Angel Blanco Jr./El Hijo del Solitario v. El Hijo Del Santo/Villano IV TXT 2/25 YES

Fucking five thousand times YES. I will wait for the pro-shot to be sure, but right now I have this ahead of Casas v. Panther fairly easily. That is not a knock on Casas v. Panther either, this match is just fucking awesome. Totally wild, escalating brawl, with all four guys juicing, some of the nastiest punches ever, some crazy spots and a great finish.

Villano IV was just insanely great here hitting two wild topes where he splatted on the floor, eating some sick chairshots, selling gut kicks and punches like he was being crippled with pancreatitis, showing awesome fire and his own brand of stiffness during the face come back, clinging onto dudes for single legs when he had nothing left to give, et. On top of this the visual of his bloody head was insane as it looks like Abdullah the Butcher after taking shrapnel from a clusterbomb.

The rudos were really tremendous asskickers here, stalking around like total pricks and throwing some savage shots. Blanco has an awesome standoff exchange with Villano IV both during the match and in the tremendous post match brawl that are up there with my favorite moments in wrestling in the last ten years. Solitaro has been a great foil for Santo over the last couple of years and really was tremendous, coming off as a guy livid at the existence of Santo in particular. At one point he crushes him with a punch to the chest that Santo sells like Solitaro is Ox Baker and he is a desperate Fritz Von Erich trying to get more cash flow to pay off his kids coke debts. Later he takes an awesome bump off of a revenge chairshot and his timing on that finishing spot was perfect.

Speaking of which Santo was fucking Santo. He is the real deal. He can take punishment, bleed buckets, hit his highspots, sell his ass off, make his comebacks, et and it never stops being exciting. His dives looked great, he had the aforementioned Fred Sanford sell job, he was just right at playing the victim but without relinquishing the nobility of his name and act. And man that finish. What a champ to take that chairshot and splat after that much blood loss and that crazy a match. Getting stretched pretty tightly for the fall was a nice sacrifice as well.

Post-match brawl with blood soaked guys competing to get hepatitis by smacking each others heads around was also tremendous.

Good luck topping this 2012

I was waiting for you to chime in with some PR and lucha stuff. This is great. I've seen the Mesias match and i loved it too. I havent seen the tag you mentioned but will search it out. I'm starting to debate whether RVD Lynn and Punk Hardy fit this idea. Is there anything else from ECW that could fit? I know almost everything was a brawl at certain points but not all of it was great.

Here's a few I would add for you to at least check out to see if you want to add them.

Hansen vs. Blackwell ( AWA - 6/86) A fun bloody brawl

Rockers vs. Somers/Rose ( AWA - 8/86) Probably my favorite tag match from this feud.

Steiners vs. Nasty Boys ( WCW - Havoc 90) Too bad these two teams didn't have more matches because this one is pretty awesome from start to even the aftermath.

Cactus/Payne vs. Nasty Boys ( WCW - Stampede 94). Definitely eye opening for this era.

Undertaker vs. Mankind feud. They had quite a few fun brawls. Some of them have some hokey stuff for sure, but I don't think it takes anything away. Take your choice of KOR 96, Buried Alive 96, Survivor Series 96 or Takers Revenge 97.