Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #0: A Titans Primer

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-0-a-titans-primer/

titans0.jpg

Holy retcon Batman! Parv, Pete, Johnny and Kelly make like DC Comics and reset the clock on the Titans universe. It's EPISODE ZERO!

This episode is intended as a general introduction to Titans of Wrestling for newcomers, but there is still plenty to enjoy for existing fans.

The Titans starters match sampler:

07-21-79 Greg Valentine vs Chief Jay Strongbow (Strap match),Philadelphia Spectrum

01-10-81 Bob Backlund vs Sgt. Slaughter, Philadelphia Spectrum

06-21-75 The Blackjacks vs Victor Rivera and Dominic Denucci, Hamburg, PA; Fieldhouse

This show also includes:

- General introductions to each of the Titans

- Titans Terminology: a beginners guide to our lingo, heros, in-jokes, and former failed segments

- Quantum Leaping Lanny Poffo!

- The mysteries of the Fu Manchu moustache

- And much much more

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Fun freaking stuff right here, guys. Just a truckload of laughs & good times, gang. As per usual.

But yeah. Just felt like the perfect way to help familiarize new listeners & get anyone out of the loop straight up to speed - in one swift Kal-Tum leap.

Can't even lie. I dig how Sorrow is forever unafraid to openly enjoy shit nobody else will cop to loving... And then immediately make the most fun of it.

I hate that the Poffo poem was derailed by Johnny forgetting the date though. Still, Sorrow is a scholar and a saint for giving it a whirl.

Oh. And the shtick about Baron & Dom punching a time-clock and being the yin to each other's yang was nothing short of strictly AWESOME. Johnny describing DeNucci as full of energy, while Baron had "given up on life"..? An instant moment in podcasting right there.

Yep. Really fun show again, guys. Looked back on my last post & realized I was gushing all over Sorrow's shtick and didn't really take the chance to say how much I enjoy everyone else's roles on the show.

The match breakdowns are detailed & descriptive enough to get across all major points. I've been lured over to Titans TV on a few occasions already, just based on how good Pete made the action sound on some of these shows.

The bios are a consistently strong highlight for me. Kudos to Kelly for always unearthing something new, informative, and unexplored at every freaking opportunity.

Parv's alright, too. :D

By the way? The mailbag was tremendous. There's bound to be untapped potential there.

I tweeted the show that I was trying to search for Super 8 on the internet, nothing extreme just basic searching on Google for like "Philadelphia Spectrum wrestling fan Super 8 home videos 1970s" and such and thought that it would make for an interesting documentary for something like High Spots.

In other words, the story would be ostensibly trying to find, or get info about this super fan, but be more about the Philly wrestling fans of that era, and how it grew into the core fanbase of ECW in the 1990s.

This is just something I was posting about elsewhere, and it got me to thinking that I'd love to hear the Titans crew (Team Titans?) dive in & talk a little more in-depth about the subject. Maybe it HAS come up in passing before and I just didn't realize, but I think it'd make for interesting enough discussion.

Is it more important to have strong heel challengers for a babyface World Champion than it is to have strong babyface challengers for a heel World Champion, or vice versa? In your opinion, which system works best? Which is more crucial for a successful formula? It's basically the classic WWWF model versus the traditional NWA structure.

For example, I can't imagine Bob Backlund getting over the same way without the list of names he had to go during his run as champ. Regardless of his ring work, Backlund was bland. So he was a stark contrast to the colorful, louder & larger than life villains they'd put in his path.

Flip that formula for the NWA, and you've; got the same situation with a lot of their traveling champs. Without the best babyfaces lining up to meet them at every pass, I don't see them getting over as big deals in each individual territory quite the same way.

Nice teaser.

I'm stoked that we're going to be getting even more dated, obscure stuff soon. So don't get me wrong. But what's up with '81? Was really looking forward to hearing the gang talk up more Slaughter and (eventually) Muraco & Da Supahfly.

Hopefully you guys still get around to it. The specials, too. Especially Mempho and Georgia. Truckloads to look forwards to here on Titans.

Still doing 1981. #27 will be the first 1975 show, #28 will be the first 1981. The plan right now is to do a 1975-1981-Special-1981-repeat rotation for the future

Here's a preview of #28. May be a two-part show if we look at all the matches

WWF (Spectrum, Philadelphia, 2/14/81)

1) Bulldog Brower vs Angelo Gomez

2) Larry Sharpe vs Steve King

3) The Great Yatsu vs Frank Savage

4) Hulk Hogan vs Dominic Denucci

5) Pedro Morales vs Stan Hansen

6) Killer Khan vs Rick McGraw

7) Sgt. Slaughter vs Bob Backlund

8) The Hangman vs Johnny Rodz

9) SD Jones vs Baron Mikel Scicluna

10) Tony Garea & Rick Martel vs Moondogs (Texas Death match)

• 1 month later...

Pete has a very impressive disc collection. Loved that Super 8 was the first entry of the Titans terminology. I remember the Three Wise Men nickname Parv used for the earlier shows. Guess that one didn't stick. Felt like the old days here with the loud music cutting in throughout show. ;) In spirit of Lucas, why not just dub over the full episode 1 like it never happened. Or the WWE treatment with Ventura on DVDs where they completely removed his audio from matches. Would have been interesting to hear Parv talk to himself. ;)

Backlund versus Sarge was great. Slaughter really took it to Bob during this match. Piledriver was wicked. Massive blood by Backlund. He had blood on the back on his legs. Some more inconsistent referee performance and Bob spends ages outside the ring. Kal loved this one and was going crazy when Slaughter did his corner bump to the outside.

How great was it to see Dominic standing in the ring wearing a title around his waist?! Wasn't expecting this one to be so good. Albano showing just changed the mood of everything. Loved the brawling and chaos. I felt cheated though at the end when Dominic got the chair in his hands and was ready to charge at the Blackjacks. Footage stopped at the point. I bet the riot started right at that moment!

Yes, more mail bag! No, not really.

Slaughter, Hogan, Hansen, and more Moondogs? Can't wait.

And cool deal. 'Preciate the in-depth response, man. You guys have definitely got a full plate. An all-you-chew BUFFET of battles, if yewww wheeeel.

I see you are like me in the thought that we all need more duthty in our lives, especially need more pay window.