Pro Wrestling Only

Pro-Wrestling Super Show: Why You Should Watch Lucha (May 21, 2014)

Go here

On this week’s great episode of Place to Be Nation’s Pro-Wrestling Super Show, Steven Graham is joined by Chad from “Where the Big Boys Play” and Dylan from “Wrestling Culture” to answer the question “Why should you watch lucha?” We also answer the “listener question of the week” and give our recommendations.

Remember to subscribe on iTunes or Soundcloud to get the show weekly with minimal effort.

If you want your question to be answered, as the “listener question of the week”, either tweet Steven Graham @StevenGrahamTWS, ask it on the Place to be Nation facebook page or post on the thread at prowrestlingonly.com.

'Preciate ya using my question for this week. It was cool of Dylan to break it down and interpret it on two different levels. I really hadn't thought about it being worded that way, but yeah. Obviously you could look for who would be most successful, or you could look for who WWE would push to the moon as a dynamic new attraction with big crossover potential.

As well as Rush's attitude and demeanor could transition just fine, I'm just not so sure they'd go with a guy like that. I definitely see the appeal, and I don't think he'd have any trouble carrying over past any language barrier. Not saying there's any right or wrong choice obviously, but ya just know WWE would want someone under a mask and/or a flashy costume.

I honestly wish they would've gotten Extreme Tiger, back before he signed with TNA or whatever. He's got a mask and an identity. They could obviously tinker with the name and the mask a bit to give 'em whatever they think will sell. But I mean, come on. A tiger mask is an instantly recognizable concept that would be easy to market with the machine behind it.

Work wise? The guy's had some incredibly fun brawls. He's shown in hardcore settings that he's inventive with weaponry and incorporating it into his already awe-inspiring arsenal. He's got those high-flying moves in spades to excite the crowd, so I don't think there'd be that lull or sense of worry looming over him. I could easily see him coming in with a splash and making a strong first impression with the very same fans they might fear losing without an active Rey around.

ANYWAY... Back to the actual show? Good listening, as always. The series stays true to form with this one as one of my favorites here. Nice in-depth discussion and explanation on several issues. Particularly enjoyed Dylan's breakdown of technicos being SO straight-laced at times, versus the rudos just being dirty bastards most of the time.

Awesome to hear the LA Park versus Wagner Jr. stuff mentioned. Great feud that needs to be talked up more outside of these smaller select circles, for sure. I've watched their brawl from May 2013 at least two dozen times on YouTube, and it's become my go-to gateway match for casual friends - to get them to at least ATTEMPT to watch a lucha match and admit it's pretty darn good. Never fails either. The fact that it's the La Parka they remember or know of doesn't hurt, but hey. It's a fun freaking bloodshed brawl. What's not to love?

But yeah. Thanks for using the question and putting aside my long-winded, unnecessarily wordy phrasing. Didn't realize how bad it sounded until you actually had to ASK it, haha. Nice job though. Looking forward to future episodes, man.

YES!!

I cant wait to listen to this....I have been slowly watching more and more lucha matches here and there and starting to enjoy some parts of it...

As for La Parka....a match I thought I'd love but really didnt as it never really got goin (but it was a fight, which I think is what is was supposed to be so that would make it good) was La Parka vs. LA Park from Triplemania a few years ago...

Cool shit....but where can you get a primer or a rundown on the yearly feuds and angles from the past to the present? That woudl help a ton!

I just wanted to let everybody know the next episode will have Kelly & Parv from the Titans of Wrestling giving our top 6 lists for people in unheralded roles.

If you would like to have your question answered, ask it here.

I just wanted to let everybody know the next episode will have Kelly & Parv from the Titans of Wrestling giving our top 6 lists for people in unheralded roles.

If you would like to have your question answered, ask it here.

Who do you consider unheralded as a "special attraction" performer?

Basically, just looking for the names of people you feel are overlooked when it comes to being brought in for that special attraction feel to pop a house & boost a number, a rating, a buyrate, a gate, or whatever. Could be a celebrity that isn't discussed much, or a traveling attraction that doesn't get as much love as your Andre the Giant or Abdullah the Butcher maybe.

Sad to say guys, but as much as I am digging the Super Show I'm gonna have to cash out until whatever the glitch is that causes the episode to randomly stop and start back up from the beginning is fixed. It's a small thing, but it is frustrating to have to constantly be fast forwarding and hoping that I remember where the episode was at before it stopped itself. So, keep up the good work discussion wise, and hopefully you can get this glitch figured out.

Sad to say guys, but as much as I am digging the Super Show I'm gonna have to cash out until whatever the glitch is that causes the episode to randomly stop and start back up from the beginning is fixed. It's a small thing, but it is frustrating to have to constantly be fast forwarding and hoping that I remember where the episode was at before it stopped itself. So, keep up the good work discussion wise, and hopefully you can get this glitch figured out.

I've streamed through the site and also listened via iTunes - how are you accessing the show (web via mobile, web, iTunes, download)?

my iTunes/iPod won't play the episode with glitching either. I have tried unsubscribing and deleting the show completely but that doesn't seem to work.

I had the same exact issue. I wound up buying the Downcast app for my iPhone in order to be able to listen to it relatively how I wanted to. It was quiite an annoyance otherwise.

my iTunes/iPod won't play the episode with glitching either. I have tried unsubscribing and deleting the show completely but that doesn't seem to work.

This is my scenario as well. I download through iTunes onto my iPod, and every time the episode glitches. The Lucha episode stopped and had to be restarted about seven times, until I finally said I'd had enough and moved on to something else.

This is my scenario as well. I download through iTunes onto my iPod, and every time the episode glitches. The Lucha episode stopped and had to be restarted about seven times, until I finally said I'd had enough and moved on to something else.

That is so strange. I have to do some research into this.

I just did some looking into this and there seems to be an issue with itunes v11 that gives a lot of people errors with podcasts.

There are threads on apple support, with no responses from apple.

It's something about how itunes interacts with podcasts. That is incredibly annoying.