Pro Wrestling Only

List 'Em and Learn Episode 1 with guests Alan4L and Justin Shapiro

MFoy

I started a new podcast which is going to be based on making top 20 lists of various topics. It won't always be wrestling-related, but this first episode is. It features Alan4L, Justin Shapiro and me running down top 20 lists of the best United States-based workers from 2002 through 2014. Alan and I both have our own lists, and they probably won't align to the tastes around here, but I think it might spark some fun debate.

It's the first episode, so please excuse some less-than-ideal audio quality.

Let me know if you end up checking it out, because I'd love feedback to both the topic and the podcast itself.

http://www.thecubsfan.com/2014/06/03/list-em-and-learn-episode-1-episode-1-part-1/

Really enjoyed this show though I obviously disagreed with a ton of it. I'd have to think really hard about who my top twenty for the time period would be. I will say that I would have Rey and Bryan one and two (I could be convinced to go either way on those guys to be honest), and probably Cena at three. After that I have no clue what my order would be. I would say that Matt Hardy and Christian are both guys who would make my top twenty who weren't discussed at all on the show (I think Justin had Christian at honorable mention), and without thinking on it hard I imagine Necro would make my top twenty too as far as other guys who weren't mentioned at all. Also Finlay would absolutely make my list.

I'm all for that. Dylan + Lists = Winning.

And yup. Don't see eye to eye on everything about ANYONE'S list, but hey. Agree or disagree. That's the fun in these lists. Hearing other people voice THEIR opinions and be absolutely open to all the praise, criticism, and judgment that comes with it.

We enjoy what we enjoy. Own it. If everyone was drawn to the SAME exact thing, then there'd be no need for variety. And pro wrestling's foundation is built on variety. Variety in characters. Variety in action. Variety in LISTS, damn it.

i think matt hardy's rep with most people got destroyed by all the non-wrestling stuff - the generally crappy promos (recall the matt vs. jeff feud in particular being seen as a huge bust relative to expectations), the irl meltdowns, the weight gain, you name it

not surprised at all that he wouldn't get any love on stuff like this, even if that may be wrong

To be fair, Matt's done some REALLY good heel work in ROH recently. I know it's not lighting up anybody's radar, but it's there. It's generating some genuine heel heat, trolling & playing up a bit on the "smart" fans actual disdain for him before Batista was doing it. And the in-ring stuff has improved. Again, he's not the Matt of 2005 all over again, but it's hardly as bad as some may remember him.

All that aside, I'm not even sure he'd make my list to be honest. Just so much great talent that's contributed such incredibly strong work during that time frame. It's a chore to narrow it down, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

AJ Styles is actually having a HELLUVA year in the here & the now, when you really look at it. Plus, say what ya will about 'em, but he and Joe always had a pretty firm grasp on what their characters were. Even if AJ's personality was fairly simple and straightforward, it was easy to understand what he was going for and latch onto it.

Daniels is a guy that never quite clicked on a character level for a long, LONG time. He was basically doing the same style as AJ and others, sure. But there was this disconnect, 'cause the guy was so undefined on several levels. Came across as almost TOO clean, TOO crisp, and TOO sharp in some ways. The performances were spectacular, but it was almost artificial or mechanical. Too fancy. Too orchestrated. Too cutesy.

The criticisms lodged at Daniels are easily understood. I think he REALLY took off and turned things around once he put all the pieces together and let his personality shine through in recent years. Guy looks like a surefire, natural born showman these days. It's a miraculous change, but it's entertaining as hell to see this side of his personality finally.

Whereas he might have had "better" matches before - versus AJ and Joe in particular - there's more reason to invest in him as a character now. Whereas I can personally see how the ACTION itself might be better in his Unbreakable '05 match, I honestly feel more engaged in his more recent outings against AJ - the Last Man Standing, the "I Quit" bout, the "Final Encounter", and so on - because he's grown so much as a despicable douchebag. There's a raw, visceral, REAL reaction to that stuff that you just don't get from exciting MOOOVS. And hey. I'm a moves guy!

Far as Roderick Strong goes? I dig Strong myself personally, but I can see why he wouldn't make people's lists. He's very hit or miss in most of his matches. To be fair, it also took him awhile to find his groove in terms of his offense. It's like he couldn't quite make up his mind on what he wanted it to be there for a good chunk of time. His tempo and pacing was "off" a bit during that time, too. It's a minor detail, sure. And it's especially forgivable on the indie level, I guess. But it was enough to be noticeable. He'd rush through spots or moments when he should've settled and soaked 'em in. Stuff like that doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you're narrowing your "Best of the Best" field down to twenty, well those are the things that might matter to some.