Pro Wrestling Only

• 2 months later...

Everyone knows about this, probably the best segment in Nitro history. I think the Ric Flair pop is in contention for the loudest in wrestling history. Flair is so into the moment that he bites his tongue and draws blood. Moments like this just don't exist in wrestling anymore, and I don't even mean that as a huge negative. I simply don't know that they are possible.

Ric Flair returns after a world class Arn Anderson promo and proceeds to cut the greatest promo I have seen in wrestling. Meanwhile, the crowd is just losing their minds the entire segment. This is wrestling’s version of baseball’s Cal Ripken Jr. 2131 game, which has unreal emotion, intensity, and aura. The height of WCW and one of the biggest blunders in terms of not being able to capitalize on what they had with Flair and the reinvented Four Horsemen. This quarter hour did a 5.44, leading WCW to a 4.54 rating, which beat the 3.99 rating RAW did.

• 3 weeks later...

This was absolutely electric. You'd have thought Flair had been gone for five years rather than five months by the response. Arn and Ric were both incredible here. With all the BS going on in WCW this year it made this stand out even more for being real and meaningful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The thing for me about this, brilliance of everything that happened, is how WCW immediately went about destroying any kind of gains they might have made. I mean, of course Hogan and Nash need to be the focal points of the promotion. Not as if anybody else could ever be over enough to be in that spot.

• 2 months later...

Is this the Last Great WCW moment? I suspect so--and what a moment indeed. Probably a top-5 segment for Nitro, that's not only a complete chill scene (my favorite spot among many is Ric instantly switching gears, turning off the waterworks, and re-emerging as the Nature Boy once he talks about a party in town) but works as a wrestling angle as well, making you want to keep watching and see just where this is going.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-09-14-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair Returns!
  • 2 years later...