Pro Wrestling Only

• 2 months later...

What can I say about this that hasn't been said? This was such an incredibly depressing moment at the time because it became clear that nothing was really ever going to change in WCW. Someone else can recap all of the events if necessary but I think it's all pretty well-known. WCW still had a few months of success to dwindling returns ahead of them just because they had so far to fall. But remember this crowd size in December, and remember that huge freefall happened in less than a year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not really all that familiar with how this angle played out but decontextualized this was a cool spectacle. Ogawa bursting on the scene by murdering the top star in unprecedented fashion and then celebrating by pretending to be an airplane was something else though.

Oh hey I don't know how I posted that comment in the wrong thread! But to comment on the correct segment now. I wasn't watching during this time so I am interested to see what the aftermath of this is like. We know the consequences but I have to say, after watching the last decade of WWE ANYTHING with this kind of crowd response is going to look like a cool angle no matter how dumb it is in context.

Nash's absurd entrance is the best. And why are they having him walk out with Hall before the real turn? Isn't the idea supposed to be that he doesn't approve of Hall's involvement at Starrcade since he's supposed to still be a face?

Nash's entrance cost more than probably all the Luchadors salaries combined. That was JBL esque. The rest of this is just infuriating. I watched WCW till the end but this was the moment where I knew WCW couldn't return to what they were. Bischoff doing sound effects when they were spraypainting Goldberg was so bad.

If Goldberg winning the belt on 7/6 was the height of that fandom, this was my first battle with the low points as the company I loved shattered and confused me just a few rows from where I had gotten hoarse chanting Goldberg's name. This was incredibly stupid and costly. I would stick it out with WCW until BATB 00 but this was the day my fandom was damaged and you can only look in the steep decline between this and their return to the Dome on 7/5 to see I wasn't the only one. Definitely will be the worst match of the year. (DUD)

• 3 weeks later...

Nash's entrance cost more than probably all the Luchadors salaries combined. That was JBL esque. The rest of this is just infuriating. I watched WCW till the end but this was the moment where I knew WCW couldn't return to what they were. Bischoff doing sound effects when they were spraypainting Goldberg was so bad.

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one that wanted to fucking KILL Bischoff during this segment...His whole commentary the minute the Fingerpoke happened made me wanna jump through the TV and beat his ass... "GEE WILLIKERS....blah blah..." Gee Willikers? Really? and the other dumb shit he says like a moron...FUCK YOU ERIC...

THEN he does the ridiculous sound effects with the shock stick and the spraypainting...Man, he actually made a HISTORICALLY BAD moment even worse....

As for the fingerpoke...I always pictured them sitting in the room planning shit out the day of the show and lazily saying "Well, the NWO together beat WWF weekly....why do something different?"

• 6 months later...

Up until this point of time I would've said that WCW was my favourite wrestling company. Having watched the '98 Yearbook it was clear the WWF were putting out the better product. At the time though I preferred Nitro to Raw as the matches were longer. These days 2m matches and 6m matches have the same value in my eyes, so that's no longer a factor.

This was the week when everything changed for me regarding WCW. I was disgusted by the WWF title spoiler earlier in the night. To deride the oppositions world title picture whilst putting this up in direct comparison is mind bogglingly stupid. And the Fingerpoke of Doom was the ultimate FU to all wrestling fans. Such a sickening show. I continued watching WCW until September as it continued its descent, bailing out just before rock bottom. WWF/E became my new #1 promotion for the next 4 years until I discovered something far better.

• 1 year later...

Hogan's coming out in his street clothes, because of course he wasn't here to wrestle--there, *one* good attention to detail for this whole rotten night. This is my first time actually watching this entire segment start to finish. I actually missed the majority of this--the entrances up through the Fingerpoke itself--because, hey, Rock vs. Mankind for the title. I flipped over in time to see both NWOs killing Goldberg with Bischoff celebrating the new champion and sort of wished I hadn't.

Goldberg taking out most of the NWO goons but having to sell for Hogan and Luger's pathetic offense is just ridiculous. #Politicalhit, indeed. Bischoff is so obnoxious with his sound effects and not in a heel way--there's no planet in the universe where imitating a stun gun and pretending to be a spray can qualifies as "good," or effective commentary.

A major moment of my fandom. Historically I worked the TV remote like a video game controller on Monday nights, expertly flipping back and forth between the two shows. That skill became obsolete after this--my father and I both decided it simply wasn't worth it to keep watching Nitro. And I wouldn't, for pretty much the rest of the year other than some curiosity over what Russo would do. And then not again until the first Russo/Bischoff Nitro. Basically WCW was telling us that the previous 10 months didn't matter--it was Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower on Dallas, only way more depressing. This means that almost everything from this Yearbook from WCW will be new to me, though I was still in the habit of reading CRZ and various other recappers at this point. Its freshness should make it a bit easier to sit through, I hope.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-04-WCW-Nitro] Fingerpoke of Doom